Strikeforce has appoached Fedor about fight at 205 against Henderson

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor Emelianenko may drop to 205 pounds and challenge for the light heavyweight title in 2011, according to Fighters Only Magazine.

The Russian legend had been approached by Strikeforce officials prior to this past weekends Rafael Cavalcante vs. Dan Henderson bout about fighting for the title at 205 pounds. Emelianenko is reportedly interested.

Long viewed as a smaller heavyweight, the cut shouldn't be drastic for Emelianenko. Fans have long clamored for The Last Emperor to drop down to the light heavyweight division, but with his winning streak in tact, Emelianenko never entertained the idea. Now, with two straight losses at heavyweight, a drop down to 205 could do wonders for his career.

Again, the fight is far from signed but Strikeforce has talked with Emelianenko about the drop down in weight and he is interested.

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Fedor-Emelianenko-vs-Dan-Henderson-discussed-by-Strikeforce-officials.html

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Oh boy, extremelly exciting for this...

Yeah, he surely has been encountering some issues with the overpowering huge heavyweights of late, a LHW fight would be extremelly, extremelly interesting.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh boy, extremelly exciting for this...

Yeah, he surely has been encountering some issues with the overpowering huge heavyweights of late, a LHW fight would be extremelly, extremelly interesting.
I was shocked Fedor even considered it. I was always under the impression that it was completely against his style to cut, but I think its a good move and it'd be an exciting one.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
omg yes

thats a lot of weight to lose though. im not sure if he's willing to give up the hearty russian diet to get down to 205

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
there is just no way. he is so set in stone with everything he does. he walks out to fights with his priest in hand. if he is 230 i dont see how he can lean out enough in a reasonable amount of time

iron fists

Awards
well if silva can drop to 185 from 225-230.than fedor can do it.....that is if he wants to reclaim his legacy as his last to defeats provide concrete facts that he hasnt fought anyone relevant enough to make that claim that he was the greatest.....except he did beat cro cop and big nog in their prime.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ahhh the old anti Fedor argument. yeah i guess its pretty simple for an undersized heavyweight to compile a 32-2 record and not lose a fight for over 10 years. that must be a walk in the park.

Punisher88

Punisher88

Awards
Hahaha agreed. I refuse to lose any feelings of his greatness due to his last 2 fights. Any fighter can have an "off night", I can fully relate to that. However, Fedor will be able to drop because he has plenty of time to do so. Hendo will be fighting the winner of Gregard Mouusasi vs. Mike Kyle. Then after that he plans on taking time of with his family and returning next year. Hendo vs Fedor sure would be an awesome fight no doubt!

iron fists

Awards
im not anti fedor..i am simply bringing up what is on alot of peoples mind...his record is great..but HW werent as big and skilled as they are now.. imo he hasnt had the toughest fight record.... i mean its great but you kinda gotta look at who he did it against.. and ten years is a great length..but if a guy fought three local pro shows a year for 11 years went undefeated and three of his last wins were agianst guys who were somebody but not anymore, would he have the same legacy status as fedor???? was it an off night vs verdum??? or did he not really know how to escape the submission other than strikes??? and did he or did he not get man handled my silva..i would think of an off night of hendo vs shields...but hey these are just our opinions and they all differ..sometimes it is nice to have a diversity..just like some like fitch and evans..whereas i dont.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
there is a difference between local shows and Fedors career. who did he beat during these three years? some scrubs, of course, as its accustomed to in Japan because they love them a good freak show. but he has also beaten: Arona, Babalu, great striker Schilt, Big Nog twice, goodridge, randleman (after a head slam!!), cro cop, coleman in his prime, Mark hunt who is a tough SOB, 2 former UFC champs Arlovski and Sylvia. when you look at Fedors career you have to watch the fights. His ability to defend the TD, overcome getting blasted like in the Fujita fight, his incredible hand speed, the respect he has for other fighters and the sport.

the man is a legend, and even though he has fallen a little behind monster HWs like Big Foot and hasnt been training with world class BJJ like Verdum...he is still the greatest of all time in my opinion. other two guys in contention is GSP, who fights to not lose a round and puts me to sleep.. and Anderson Silva who despite having an enormous amount of talent has embarrassed the sport numerous times (maia, leites). Fedor has never even taken a minute off from trying to finish the opponent.

He is the reason why I started training BJJ and muay thai 3 years ago. watching his heroics in the ring, hearing him land a huge shot to the dome and the japanese crowd going nuts, this is what defined mma to me and lit a fire under my a$$ to train and to be tough, and its still burning to this day.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
the list of sf heavyweights who can beat fedor keeps growing... werdum.. big foot... u know overeem mauls him first round...barnett would most likely get him too.. he had some big wins in the past but managment has been ducking ppl for too long and its catching up...no doubt he beat some of the best and well be one of the greatest ever.. but his time as a heavy weight elite is coming to an end... hendo v fedor would be a fantastic fight.. could hendo hold him down'? do u think hendo would stand and bang...?

iron fists

Awards
i think 205 fedor would retire hendo.imo...and if fedor chose to stay at 205 i think his legacy would be greater than his HW one becuase he would be doing it against way better fighters..and hopefully more often than once a year... i mean we have all seen him thorw mousasi around loike a ragg doll in training videos..and thats just training.