Strength training

harvey416

Awards
Hi all,

I’ve an idea for a training program through the winter in order to try and add some mass and strength, it’s along the lines of SS and SL basically

Deadlift 1x5 with 4 warm ups increasing weight every time
Bench press 5x5
Pull downs 5x5

Squats 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Tbar row 5x5

Training 3x a week Monday Wednesday Friday, alternating workouts so every 2 weeks i will of performed each workout 3 times, weight increases to be small and gradual and really focus on the quality of the work out.

Some extras maybe included like dips curls lunges depending on how I feel on the day.

Diet to consist of around 3000 calories
Plenty of lean meat, eggs, oats rice and sweet potato, nuts avocado and peanut butter

3 big meals a day with 2 added homemade shakes consisting of whey oats and peanut butter.

May throw in some low carb days on non training days or weekends when not working or training.

Current stats
28 yr old
Around 75kg
180cm
Skinny fat

Looking for some sound advice if this would be the right approach or if my idea needs a little fine tuning

StoneMountain

Awards
What is your gym experience? How new to the gym are you or have you been training for a while?
What are your lifts looking like?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It wouldnt work for me. Too difficult to progress compound lifts without focusing on each one at a time.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Skinny fat is a great way to be. I agree with Benny though, spread those big lifts out a bit. I wouldn’t go all out on multiple in the same session. Longevity.

harvey416

Awards
First off thank you for your comments,

I used to train quite regularly always moderate reps on a split chasing the pump but never really focusing on strength, not really trained too much over the last couple of years due to having a baby and starting my own business, now my daughter is a toddler and I’m settled in work also shorter working days thanks to the darker nights I’m finding a bit of time to get a workout in a few times a week and I want to try a different approach and lift some heavy stuff.

I do have a hip and shoulder injury from work that causes some muscle tightness that pulls my posture out of alignment so I have to be really mindful of form hence the very gradual increase in weight I mentioned.

I did wonder weather to do it in a push pull legs fashion and have 2 lifts per workout trained once a week,

Or perhaps
Deadlift 1x5
Tbar row 4x6
Pull downs 4x8

Bench 5x5
Shoulder press 4x6
Dips 4x8 weighted when possible

Squats 5x5
SLDL 4x6
Lunges 4x8

This is what I’m currently doing, I’ve tried some 3x5 but I think I prefer 5x5

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m actually doing madcow 5x5 right now which is pretty similar.....but I’m also on a aas cycle.

If your natty I 100% agree with benny, you need to spread out the compounds. Personally I’d go push pull legs from what you’ve said.

harvey416

Awards
I’m actually doing madcow 5x5 right now which is pretty similar.....but I’m also on a aas cycle.

If your natty I 100% agree with benny, you need to spread out the compounds. Personally I’d go push pull legs from what you’ve said.
Thanks whiskey, yeah I’m natty still, don’t think I’ve pushed my genetics as far as possible just yet.

Would you do 5x5 on the big lifts or 3x5?
Also for deadlift would 1x5 be ample with 4 build up sets or would you recommend more than 1 set

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It wouldnt work for me. Too difficult to progress compound lifts without focusing on each one at a time.
I'm exactly the opposite thinking on this. I did something similar when I first started but instead of 5x5 it was 1x10 then 3x6 each lift. He said he's skinny fat so I'd put that as pretty much a newb in my book and my best gains ever were squatting benching deadlifting with a few extras 3x a week

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've gone back to it from time to time and it's always worked. As I got older mainly for strength but initially size was good too

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've gone back to it from time to time and it's always worked. As I got older mainly for strength but initially size was good too
How old are you?

I'm just too gassed to be able to progress that way. The only thing that would get better is whatever came first.

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm exactly the opposite thinking on this. I did something similar when I first started but instead of 5x5 it was 1x10 then 3x6 each lift. He said he's skinny fat so I'd put that as pretty much a newb in my book and my best gains ever were squatting benching deadlifting with a few extras 3x a week
I do this every once in a while with the Bill Starr 5x5. I get bored with the workouts after a few weeks but the strength gains have always been amazing with this training. Plus being competitive by nature, having a set weight and reps that you NEED to hit each week really makes sure you give it 100% each time.

BarryBondsHOF

BarryBondsHOF

Awards
  • Established
I do this every once in a while with the Bill Starr 5x5. I get bored with the workouts after a few weeks but the strength gains have always been amazing with this training. Plus being competitive by nature, having a set weight and reps that you NEED to hit each week really makes sure you give it 100% each time.
How a lot of old school guys trained! Remember even 5x5 in high school football several years ago so that tells you how it endured. Most simplistic template combo of size and strength created

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If that's 5x5 sets across then it's too much volume, not enough intensity to be efficient for strength. If you're ramping or doing backoffs then that's different

I'd squat on deadlift days too, either front squats or back squats at 75-80% of your previous workouts weight for three sets.

Can I ask why you've designed it like this, rather than just follow an existing LP program? (Not a criticism, just genuinely curious)

harvey416

Awards
If that's 5x5 sets across then it's too much volume, not enough intensity to be efficient for strength. If you're ramping or doing backoffs then that's different

I'd squat on deadlift days too, either front squats or back squats at 75-80% of your previous workouts weight for three sets.

Can I ask why you've designed it like this, rather than just follow an existing LP program? (Not a criticism, just genuinely curious)
Hi thanks for your reply,

I set it up like that as doing the traditional squats bench and deadlift with press and row like SS or SL was too much frequency for me and I’d fatigue quite quickly after a month or so I thought I’d try less frequency with a big 5x5 lift on each day followed by some additional lifts for slightly higher reps but still low (6-8) in terms of hypertrophy, just experimenting with how my own body reacts to different approaches