Unanswered STOP Squatting in Running Shoes (UnF*ck Your Squat)

• Thread starter Jesse Pistokache
  • Start date
Jesse Pistokache

Jesse Pistokache

Awards
A little over a year ago I tore my ACL during a college basketball game. It was the worst moment of my career but I gained a ****-ton of knowledge from it. Now the AM community is filled with some of the smartest people I’ve encountered. BUT, there is a couple of you which I know can use this quick advice.

For you vets out there, you know exactly what I’m talking about. You walk into a gym and see the squat racks filled. You’re happy to see people not skipping leg day but you’re cringing at their footwear.

When you tear your ACL or have any major injury in general, you tend to become obsessed with proper performance, bone alignment, and injury prevention. Thus, one of the problems I’m still noticing is people squatting heavy in running shoes.

ADVICE: DO NOT SQUAT IN RUNNING SHOES

Here’s what happens to you from a biomechanical point of view
  1. The Classic Knee Valgus (aka knees caved in adding unnecessary stress to the surrounding knee ligaments).
  2. Decreased Power (you're squatting on pillows and decreasing your ability to produce force from the ground).
  3. Weak Stability (your feet are sliding around, inverting inwards, and unaligned with your knees).
  4. Lower Body Misalignment (the body moves as one: crappy foot instability misaligns the foot to the knee, which misaligns the knees and hips, which misaligns the hips and spine)
As a consequence, one of the greatest lifts known to man becomes your kryptonite and leads you down the path of achy joints and a broken body.
You must understand that the body is connected and if anything is out of alignment it affects the whole movement. The last thing you want is to be training your body to grow through shitty movement patterns.

You may believe you’re doing no harm but trust me, the little tweaks add up and I’d rather you lift your whole life than have crappy knees by 40.

Here’s How To Fix It:

1. Throw away the running shoes or at least just for Leg day
Search for the thinnest sole shoe you have. You’re looking for zero-drop shoes here. So basically a shoe with no high heels. Some common kicks around the gym that work fine are Vans, Converse, Metcons, and Minimalist barefoot shoes. Many of you may notice your squat depth decrease when you switch to a zero-drop shoe. It would serve you well to check your ankle mobility and improve it. Need help on proper ankle mobility exercises? Your boys got you covered, linked below is a solid routine

Lastly, I don’t recommend squat shoes for everybody but yes, they absolutely do have their place and can help your squat mechanics by allowing greater range of motion.

2. Strengthen The Foot and Ankle
You can do this by literally walking around barefoot more, barefoot calf raises, single leg balance work, and a plethora of more exercises. Once again, ill drop a link to a whole youtube playlist for your binge watching pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7goFp57Lnji_s8ZkfuFVdLKEivIW47XI

3. Unglue Your Hips
I can promise you 90% of you, ALL have jacked up hips. Specifically screwed up internal and external rotation. Back squats with misaligned feet, caved in knees, and pinching hips are a recipe for disaster. I’m not asking you to go full out yoga mode, but spend a couple of minutes a day ungluing those hips, your lower back will thank you for it.
But for my brothers who are into going down the rabbit hole, look into FRC (functional range conditioning) it is by far the best system I’ve found to unlock your mobility and gain strength in new found ranges of motion. Info below

4. Watch a baby squat, now do that
Weird phrase, i know. But there’s so much truth to it. Have you ever seen those tribes out in the middle of nowhere and noticed how easily they can squat. The reason is because they’re not sitting on their ass all day. They squat to chill.. Kinda like a baby. It’s kinda weird to think that some of you can squat 633 lbs for reps but if i asked you to squat like a child, you couldn’t. You should squat for 5 minutes a day for 100 days. Doesn’t have to be all at once, split it up in sets. But begin unlocking those hips, opening up those ankles, and strengthening those feet DAILY.

The goal is to lift forever, not just a couple years..remember this

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am 51 and contine to squat heavy weekly in running shoes without any of the issues you noted. If your hurting...blame it on your form and lack of focus on your weakpoints lmao
The term “heavy” is relative. Squatting in running shoes have no positives but only negatives. You’re better off squatting bare foot. I thought this was common knowledge.

Jesse Pistokache

Jesse Pistokache

Awards
100% agree brother.. barefoot training for the win. Problem is a lot of people have weak intrinsic foot muscles which throws off their form even more.

Nontheless, I'd throw the running shoes away for sure (if they're not zero-drop)

Euclides

Euclides

Board Sponsor
Awards
Tore my ACL, Meniscus, and MCL a few years back right before nationals. PT told me we'd try to get me back to walk and function at a 100% again.

I told them that wouldn't work for me. I need to squat 400+ and Leg Press at full force so I can compete.

So yes, know the feeling. The advice above is golden.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
The term “heavy” is relative. Squatting in running shoes have no positives but only negatives. You’re better off squatting bare foot. I thought this was common knowledge.
Tried various shoes over the years and always go back chuck connors.

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
So boxing / wrestling boot will be ideal then I guess ? Or am I best to buy Ryder’s or something along the same line ?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So boxing / wrestling boot will be ideal then I guess ? Or am I best to buy Ryder’s or something along the same line ?
I wouldn't go with shoes which are extreme high risers like boxing or wrestling shoes. Ryderwear is good. I have used them in the past.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How are Chuck Taylors better (or worse in fact) than running shoes?
Super thin flat sole with no arch support and no ankle support. Probably the best you can get as most gyms don’t allow you to go barefoot. I have a pair that is a decade old I use exclusively for leg days

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How are Chuck Taylors better (or worse in fact) than running shoes?
Chuck taylor’s are outdated basketball shoes. Technology and innovation has progressed ten fold. Now they basically just serve as a casual sneaker more so for fashion, and are classified as casual. Same as vans. How they differ refers back to the op. They are perfect for lifting, but are a terrible choice for running. None the less if you like them and don’t have any issues, then keep doing what works.

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't go with shoes which are extreme high risers like boxing or wrestling shoes. Ryderwear is good. I have used them in the past.
My boxing boots are completely thin flat soles with ankle Suppourt that’s why I thought should be ok

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am 51 and contine to squat heavy weekly in running shoes without any of the issues you noted. If your hurting...blame it on your form and lack of focus on your weakpoints lmao
Why would you choose to do this? What benefits are you getting from wearing sneakers under the squat bar?

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100% agree brother.. barefoot training for the win. Problem is a lot of people have weak intrinsic foot muscles which throws off their form even more.

Nontheless, I'd throw the running shoes away for sure (if they're not zero-drop)
Barefoot squatter here. Teaching my kids to squat and it’s lesson one, always squat barefoot...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never squatted in running shoes, but I just got my girlfriend to start training with me. I told her I would like for her to wear her Chuck's for everything, but to her, they are not gym shoes. Her first squat session, she was having a hard time staying on her heels, depth was good, but could have been better. She wore her Chuck's the next time and it was instantly better. She said she felt more stable too.

I can't speak for injuries and things like that, but I get so nervous when I see people squatting in running shoes. Maybe they can push through their heel ,but it doesn't look optimal.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pretty good info. I think most people don’t need running shoes in the gym in general (most of them aren’t runners anyway) and the current selection of cross trainers/training shoes is pretty stacked. I think there’s tons of options out there.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Barefoot, or least socked foot, squat crew checking in. Great advice in the OP. Changing from running/tennis shoes to just socks helped both my squat and deadlift tremendously!

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good info here but I’m not sure I’m liking it, I always wear running shoes in the gym, I do a lot of cardio and like to mix it up with sprints etc so it’s more convenient for me to use them so I don’t have to switch shoes, although I have been thinking about try Chuck’s for leg day. I did take me shoes off the other week when I deadlifted (they guy next to me did it and was pretty strong so I had to keep up, went way heavier than I should of but whatever) and I don’t think I felt stronger? Do guys actually feel a difference or are you guys just used to it?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do leg day barefoot, or wearing my vibram 5 fingers. Never going back to shoes.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good info here but I’m not sure I’m liking it, I always wear running shoes in the gym, I do a lot of cardio and like to mix it up with sprints etc so it’s more convenient for me to use them so I don’t have to switch shoes, although I have been thinking about try Chuck’s for leg day. I did take me shoes off the other week when I deadlifted (they guy next to me did it and was pretty strong so I had to keep up, went way heavier than I should of but whatever) and I don’t think I felt stronger? Do guys actually feel a difference or are you guys just used to it?
You’d be good to look into some of the trainers out nowadays, they provide a good mix for shorter running (anything circuit style or sprints you’d be fine) and heavy lifting.

Nike Metcons (Metcons frees are a bit less stable but a bit more flexible and better for running)
Reebok Nanos (or maybe speed TR or JJ watts)
New Balance Minumus (newest model prevail just came out)
Inov8

There’s pretty much options from most brands nowadays. They should be relatively flat and stable but these will be more viable for running.

Honestly chucks are outdated, don’t fit some people’s feet, and unless you are only going to deadlift and maybe squat in them (or like the style and that’s your thing) these other options are more well rounded if you do other “athletic” stuff.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You’d be good to look into some of the trainers out nowadays, they provide a good mix for shorter running (anything circuit style or sprints you’d be fine) and heavy lifting.

Nike Metcons (Metcons frees are a bit less stable but a bit more flexible and better for running)
Inov8

There’s pretty much options from most brands nowadays. They should be relatively flat and stable but these will be more viable for running.

Honestly chucks are outdated, don’t fit some people’s feet, and unless you are only going to deadlift and maybe squat in them (or like the style and that’s your thing) these other options are more well rounded if you do other “athletic” stuff.
Those are a lot more expensive as well though, especially for something I’ll only use at the gym. Any budget ones you have tried and can recommend?

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Those are a lot more expensive as well though, especially for something I’ll only use at the gym. Any budget ones you have tried and can recommend?
Never buy Reebok full price or Nike. Sign up for their emails and you’ll routinely get 30-40% off. Then (like a couple months ago) they’ll unload them for that or even half off sales price. Last few pairs I’ve bought 50-60.

Or check the outlets.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never buy Reebok full price or Nike. Sign up for their emails and you’ll routinely get 30-40% off. Then (like a couple months ago) they’ll unload them for that or even half off sales price. Last few pairs I’ve bought 50-60.

Or check the outlets.
Thank you! Aside from the outlets do you know any national retailers that carry a variety of lifting shoes? I’d love to try some on and get a feel, I’ve wanted to try ASICS 727 for awhile but don’t feel comfortable ordering a $300+ shoe with that weird sizing

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you! Aside from the outlets do you know any national retailers that carry a variety of lifting shoes? I’d love to try some on and get a feel, I’ve wanted to try ASICS 727 for awhile but don’t feel comfortable ordering a $300+ shoe with that weird sizing
Probably not going to find actual weightlifting shoes in any stores, especially not the ASICS. Those are like the top of the top, but you’d be fine sizing if you follow their guidelines, just won’t guarantee all around fit is what you like.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Why would you choose to do this? What benefits are you getting from wearing sneakers under the squat bar?
I have tried both powerlifting and olympic squat shoes and find my form is most comfortable, injury free and progressive using regular shoes. Just my experience.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Inov8

I gonna check those out, thanks!

I actually noticed that I already have 2 pairs of Nano’s (my brother gave me them) but I haven’t lifted in them, I’ll used them on my next leg day to see if I feel a difference.

Last edited:
Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just watched 2019 Worlds Strongest Man Martin Licis squat 750lbs for reps in Nike Basketball shoes. Seems like you should squat in the shoes that work for you and not follow the sheep.

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
Recently gone bare foot after reading this and the improvement is amazing , weight increase and feel all muscles engaging a lot better !! Thanks for this advice

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wresting shoes are super flat. Flatter than Chuck Taylor’s

S

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Barefoot is best! For sure, with running too. If I have to wear shoes, then old-school vans, or other flat skateboard style shoes like a converse are good cheap options. Wrestling shoes are super flat

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wresting shoes are super flat. Flatter than Chuck Taylor’s
The problem I have with wrestling shoe is, they are really high risers. It restricts your ankle mobility if tied high

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The problem I have with wrestling shoe is, they are really high risers. It restricts your ankle mobility if tied high
Do you mean high risers as in the heel area is thick? Maybe we’re taking about different wrestling shoes or I’m not understanding what you mean when you say high risers.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you mean high risers as in the heel area is thick? Maybe we’re taking about different wrestling shoes or I’m not understanding what you mean when you say high risers.
I believe he means how high they come up the ankle, which would restrict motion.

B

Bignick31985

Awards
I used to squat barefoot. Have been using the Reebok Powerlifters and loving it. Also switched to a Buffalo Bar (Texas Longhorn Bar) and it's been a killer setup.

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Has anyone tried otomix ? I’ve always wore flat sole shoes IE , skate-shoes primarily, but still notice some issues.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have recently had to go back to heels raised. Too much dorsifelexion plays havoc with my sciatica. Still wear flat shoes just use a block of wood or weight plates. People used to say this screws your knees up but it worked for Arnold plus I noticed Stan efferding (if I spelt that right) has varying squat angled blocks to change the enphesis onto different parts if the quad and hams. Plus I'm not trying to break any strength records I'm doing like 15 reps slow strict for hypertrophy.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks brother. Going to pick up a pair. Can’t lie, they look pretty sick too
I agree they look great and fit perfect. I have a pair of Ryderwear D-mak as well. Otomix is much better when it comes to comfort and functionality.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The ultimate marketing gimmick

Gym shoes.

Just grab some converse or whatever is;

Comfortable and within your budget.

Simple

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Squats shoes for squatting have helped me immensely.

Chucks or zero type shoes are good for deadlifting.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried various shoes over the years and always go back chuck connors.
Chucks aren't running shoes, bro...

For the record, I lift in chucks specifically for squats and dead’s... but you’re saying you lift in running shoes and chucks aren’t running shoes. Op is talking about legit running shoes, nike, brooks, all that bullshit,

Last edited:
Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Chucks aren't running shoes, bro...

For the record, I lift in chucks specifically for squats and dead’s... but you’re saying you lift in running shoes and chucks aren’t running shoes. Op is talking about legit running shoes, nike, brooks, all that bullshit,
Did I say Chucks were running shoes 'bro'?