Steroid Vendor “Phantomlabs” Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
I hope this post is allowed. I just wanted to aware anyone who may have encountered or bought from this vendor Phantomlabs that he got busted. This is also interesting from just a level to see how AAS vendors get busted. I'd never heard of Northern California Illicit Digital Economy Task Force before today, but you can bet they're looking for stuff not just on the dark web.

However, this guy also sold rec drugs which is always a no-no for any AAS vendor.

This is from a darknet site called Darknetlive:

The California resident behind the darkweb vendor account “Phantomlabs” will spend three years in prison for selling steroids.
Cody Boyd, 26, of Sacramento, California, received a three-year prison sentence for conspiracy to distribute and to possess with intent to distribute testosterone. Boyd, according to court documents, operated the vendor account “PhantomLabs” on Dream Market.

Feds Watching​

Boyd joined Dream Market in May 2017. By March 23, 2018, PhantomLabs had more than 620 positive reviews from customers. In December 2017, investigators with the infamous Northern California Illicit Digital Economy Task Force (NCIDE/NCIDETF) began monitoring the vendor account. Through the vendor account, Boyd sold, among other things, testosterone, Deca Durabolin, Anadrol, Anavar, Dianabol, boldenone, cocaine, Xanax, and pound-quantities of marijuana.
The press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of California explained the identification of Boyd as follows: “Agents identified Boyd as the owner and operator of this store.” (The investigation is likely worth examining at a greater length.) A cursory examination of the investigation revealed some noteworthy elements, including:
  • Someone provided Homeland Security Investigations with a tip that Cody Boyd was a narcotics dealer in early 2017;
  • Standard surveillance;
  • Information on the vendor account matched information on Boyd’s Facebook account;
  • Undercover purchases from Boyd’s vendor account;
  • More redacted paragraphs than usual;
  • Boyd wrapped his vehicle and lost his LEO tail by taking a new route to the Post Office at one point;
  • Investigators watched Boyd’s Snapchat videos in real-time;
  • An investigator used a burner to call Boyd’s cellphone;
  • Boyd had accounts at multiple cryptocurrency exchanges;
  • And feds went dumpster-diving again.

This is obviously a normal amount of redaction for a case this simple.​

After linking the account to Boyd, investigators with the NCIDETF acquired search warrants for Boyd’s home and business. They executed the search warrants on March 26, 2018. The search on Boyd’s home resulted in the seizure of more than 100 pounds of steroids, including at least 1,500 vials of liquid steroids and approximately 10 pounds of steroids in powder form. They also found and seized approximately 20 pounds of cannabis, 50 Xanax pills, an AR-15-style rifle registered to Boyd, and more than $26,500 in cash as well as an electronic money counter. Ten fraudulent driver’s licenses bearing Boyd’s photo and items bearing the “Phantomlabs” logo were also found in Boyd’s home. A handgun was found in Boyd’s truck.
Boyd made mistakes beyond owning physical objects with the logo of his darkweb vendor profile. The mistakes included answering questions and consenting to a search of his phone.

The defendant made a Mirandized statement to officers. He said that he had begun selling steroids on Facebook and now sold steroids, marijuana, and Xanax through his PhantomLabs storefront, which operated on the Dream Market. The defendant said that he imported Chinese precursors needed to create steroids and then brewed, sold, and packaged the products for shipment. He estimated that his narcotics sales had brought in about $150,000 in earnings, typically received as Bitcoin, a Western Union transfer, or cash sent through the mail. The defendant said he had no other source of income. He added that he had at least two employees — a man in New York City who facilitated steroid sales and a second person who worked locally to package controlled substances sent in the mail.
The defendant consented to a search of his cellular phone, which documented Google searches on how to launder money, create off-shore bank accounts, and brew steroids. His phone also contained photographs relating to his business. As part of their investigation, agents seized the defendant’s Ford Shelby GT 350, which he valued at about $120,000.
The search conducted on Boyd’s business premises resulted in the seizure of a digital scale and approximately 50 USPS packages.
The investigators also seized Boyd’s truck valued at $120,000, 2.2 bitcoin, and a total of $95,000 in cash and Boyd’s bank accounts.
On September 30, 2021, US District Judge Troy L. Nunley sentenced Boyd to three years in prison.

Complaint (PDF)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
damn....

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah the recreational drugs was not wise. In Australasia at least, the vast majority of steronz busts also involve vendors selling Class A/B drugs. I don't think this is a coincidence.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah the recreational drugs was not wise. In Australasia at least, the vast majority of steronz busts also involve vendors selling Class A/B drugs. I don't think this is a coincidence.
I agree, the drugs was what they wanted, the steroids was just a bonus in that bust.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Add his bitcoin to the millions worth the feds currently hold from seizure. Got to wonder what the fed is doing with all that crypto…and that’s just BTC…

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i seriously doubt they were worked up about a lb of weed in cali.. where its legal.. its more about the interstate trafficking me thinks.. i mean obviously the coke and xanax didnt help, but this guy was small beans in the drug world. in a interstate commerce situation, while sending drugs via the mail are big issues to the feds.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Add his bitcoin to the millions worth the feds currently hold from seizure. Got to wonder what the fed is doing with all that crypto…and that’s just BTC…
The feds or anyone for that matter can't do anything with your Bitcoin or crypto. It just gets stuck in cyberspace without a password and withdrawal from it's owner

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The feds or anyone for that matter can't do anything with your Bitcoin or crypto. It just gets stuck in cyberspace without a password and withdrawal from it's owner
Not entirely true at all. See the pipeline clawback of crypto which was thought to 1) be impossible and 2) revealed that the Fed has done it before. Never underestimate Uncle Sam…

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Not entirely true at all. See the pipeline clawback of crypto which was thought to 1) be impossible and 2) revealed that the Fed has done it before. Never underestimate Uncle Sam…
Sooooo. Serious question, how come there's so many people who can't remember their passwords and recover their money. Like the guy with the hundreds of millions in Bitcoin a few years back who ran out of passwords. If the government has a way to recover that coin then wouldn't the people who invented crypto? Or is this all like a big scam where they wait for people to not be able to access their money and then they take it from them? I'll be the first to admit I'm not super knowledgeable on this subject but it was always my understanding that you and only you had access to your coin and if you forgot your password you were screwed forever

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i believe that ever since the gbmnt stepped in its been safe to say that they can get the info through the exchanges like CB

Benmuscle1

Awards
  • First Up Vote
He got off easy, there was a story years back about a dude that was selling riods off instagram and got 10 years. 3 years is an awesome deal

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sooooo. Serious question, how come there's so many people who can't remember their passwords and recover their money. Like the guy with the hundreds of millions in Bitcoin a few years back who ran out of passwords. If the government has a way to recover that coin then wouldn't the people who invented crypto? Or is this all like a big scam where they wait for people to not be able to access their money and then they take it from them? I'll be the first to admit I'm not super knowledgeable on this subject but it was always my understanding that you and only you had access to your coin and if you forgot your password you were screwed forever
all you need for control is the private key. it's a really long asymmetrical key that would in theory be nearly impossible to guess.

you'd probably recover the private key by brute forcing the password of an encrypted wallet file. wallet files are config files used by popular clients for managing your transactions. brute forcing this password is going to be pretty easy with enough hardware because it's done offline.

so for the feds they probably seize your harddrives, crack drive encryption, crack wallet password

Last edited:

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I had the same question but all that I found from open source was that the feds have a way in and private individuals do not. If you don’t know your key you are fucked. If the feds seize your crypto, they are not. Now this is just what the feds are saying but remember these are the people who had backdoors into every telecom provider for years before Snowden leaked it and that was years ago…one can only imagine what they have now

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
Yeah, I mean you're technically correct. Unless the owner gives up the password to his crypto wallet, they can't access it. I have a feeling they can get the guy's password one way or another...

But once they seize the money, they use it just like they do with any other seized asset from a drug bust. They put into their budget and auction off any valuables.

45% of proceeds go to local law enforcement, up to $225,000 from a single forfeiture, and another 45% to a state drug forfeiture fund. Any amount above $1 million in the state drug forfeiture fund goes to the General Fund. ... 100% of proceeds go to law enforcement when a forfeiture is pursued by local agencies
Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia

Good Question: Where does money from drug busts go?(WBTV Charlotte, NC)

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, I mean you're technically correct. Unless the owner gives up the password to his crypto wallet, they can't access it. I have a feeling they can get the guy's password one way or another...

But once they seize the money, they use it just like they do with any other seized asset from a drug bust. They put into their budget and auction off any valuables.

Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia

Good Question: Where does money from drug busts go?(WBTV Charlotte, NC)
your posting style is somehow so familiar...hmmmmm