Staying fit after a hernia?

evan b

Awards
Just went to the doctor and I've got a hernia and I'll have to have surgery soon. Does a gone have any tips as to retaining the muscle I've got and how to avoid weight gain for the months after surgery? Thanks

Hustlers

Hustlers

Awards
  • Established
Do your rehabilitation work and stretching religiously. no weights for at least 6 months safely a year. Slowly work into abdominal movement stay away from full sit-ups for awhile. Do crunches and leg raises/single leg raise versions. Lunges, toe-raises, bodysquats-no weights, hip mobility work, woodchoppers, ladder work. Be creative increase your reps every week or two and walk and swim on an every other day rotation. You're not going to get fat on that routine. If u really feel the need to lift weights use the machines and really stress form. If ur yanking at **** and/or loading any pressure through your spine you're asking to thwart the healing process and begging for another herniation. Do not do any seated or standing freeweights it's not worth the trouble. I'm not a doctor, these are my 2 cents based on having surgery and never recovering due to an unsuccessful surgery and being a stubborn ass.

evan b

Awards
I appreciate it man. Thanks for the advice.

middleageguy

middleageguy

Awards
Just went to the doctor and I've got a hernia and I'll have to have surgery soon. Does a gone have any tips as to retaining the muscle I've got and how to avoid weight gain for the months after surgery? Thanks
Talk to your Dr and tell him/her you are a weight lifter, they will advise you.

I had hernia(inguinal) surgery beginning of April, [not related to working out, runs in family] out of gym for 7 weeks(Dr advised going back to gym after 6 weeks, took 1 week off prior to surgery).

My Dr advised the following: DO NOT STAY IN BED AFTER SURGERY!!
First day after surgery do not just lay in bed, get up out of bed.
Second day get out of bed and walk around home.
Third day walk outside for just a few minutes.
Going forward progress up to 30min a day walking.
Do not do any weight lifting, do not lift anything heaver then a gallon of milk for six weeks. No setups during this 6 weeks either.
When I went in for post-op (I think that is what it is called) I proudly told the doctor I was doing my 30min a day walking. The Dr told me I need to work that up to running.

Right after the six weeks I started back at the gym, and eased into it.
I am now just a strong if not stronger than prior. (I know I am stronger and look better than prior to surgery!!)
I now do setups holding a 25lb weight. (When I was a teenager I would do setups with a 45lb weight)

Now in addition to my weight training I am stair climbing at work.
I run/jog up the first 7 flights of stairs, and then walk up the rest of the 22 flights 4 times a day.
I do take the elevator down.
(I don’t beat-up my knees walking down the stairs. Walking down doesn’t give that much benefit considering your knees may pay the price later in life. )

The stair climbing of the 22 flights 4 times a day is the most simplest of things that is having results I never expected.
Not only are my “Thighs & Calves” firming up but I see results in my “Stomach” area below my belt and above my belt line in addition to the sides and the wildest thing is my “Butt” is coming back.
Now it has not been overnight, but each month I can see progress directly related to stair climbing.