Statins and orals

Robert124

Awards
This is a bad mix but also drinking alcohol while on orals is bad. How many of you are on statins but still dabble with some of the more toxic stuff?

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Orals differ in liver toxicity. I would not compare drinking to statins while taking oral AAS, unless you're talking about both's affects on liver enzymes, which also differ by statin. I apologize if I misunderstood your comparison.

Focusing on concurrent statin/AAS usage:
I tend to not follow the current medical theory and practice that high cholesterol is bad in and of itself. I opt to not take statins if I am using anything that alters hormone levels, which cholesterol is used to make. That is my approach.

Full-disclosure: I do not have any co-morbid conditions that accompany my high Total cholesterol. My ratios are in target, triglycerides are consistently <70 and VLDL 11-14. I am not encouraging you to follow this approach. I am pointing out that I opt to not use statins during anything resembling a cycle.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would not recommend drinking while on orals, because that's just going to increase the potential for liver toxicity. Also, alcohol is just bad in general during training unless you're just having a beer or two a day. Adding statins to that mix is going to make it much harsher.

What are your cholesterol levels at right now? Can you come off statins temporarily? I'd recommend looking into Competitive Edge Labs Cycle Assist. It has ingredients in it that are going to help with liver, blood pressure, cholesterol, and etc.

I'd look into other ways to try and lower your cholesterol rather than using statins, if possible. Give this article from Life Extension a read and that should give you some insight on it.

What are your cholesterol levels at right now?

Robert124

Awards
I would not recommend drinking while on orals, because that's just going to increase the potential for liver toxicity. Also, alcohol is just bad in general during training unless you're just having a beer or two a day. Adding statins to that mix is going to make it much harsher.

What are your cholesterol levels at right now? Can you come off statins temporarily? I'd recommend looking into Competitive Edge Labs Cycle Assist. It has ingredients in it that are going to help with liver, blood pressure, cholesterol, and etc.

I'd look into other ways to try and lower your cholesterol rather than using statins, if possible. Give this article from Life Extension a read and that should give you some insight on it.

What are your cholesterol levels at right now?
Thanks for the link. My cholesterol levels are normal because I’m on Lipitor. Off it I was just above normal. For me it’s more than likely genetic. Even if I was watching my fats my cholesterol was high.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks for the link. My cholesterol levels are normal because I’m on Lipitor. Off it I was just above normal. For me it’s more than likely genetic. Even if I was watching my fats my cholesterol was high.
For some people, statins are just needed no matter how closely you monitor your diet and exercise regiment. You might also look into some natural stuff like Now Cholesterol Pro. It has plant sterols which bind to cholesterol in the body and can help lower cholesterol naturally. Beta sitosterol especially has shown benefit for cholesterol.

Robert124

Awards
For some people, statins are just needed no matter how closely you monitor your diet and exercise regiment. You might also look into some natural stuff like Now Cholesterol Pro. It has plant sterols which bind to cholesterol in the body and can help lower cholesterol naturally. Beta sitosterol especially has shown benefit for cholesterol.
I have used red yeast rice in the past with other supplements and it worked but not enough to really lower it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i guess i am the exception to genetic linked high cholesterol, my mom is on statins and still is out of range and she eats as low fat a diet as i have ever seen...i on the other hand eat what i want[in moderation]and have very good cholesterol levels.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Mine is genetic as well, and the majority of people with high Total C this is the case. Diet plays a small factor.

My example: Total C was within 10 points around 270 when I weighed 330 lbs and ate like crap 10+ years ago, and when I weighed 205-220 on a high fat diet and when I reversed it and went higher protein.

Any idea what your hs-CRP trend has been at along with hgbA1c? Those 2 are more important (IMO) for cardiovascular health that total C (although components of the TC # are important too).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Mine is genetic as well, and the majority of people with high Total C this is the case. Diet plays a small factor.

My example: Total C was within 10 points around 270 when I weighed 330 lbs and ate like crap 10+ years ago, and when I weighed 205-220 on a high fat diet and when I reversed it and went higher protein.

Any idea what your hs-CRP trend has been at along with hgbA1c? Those 2 are more important (IMO) for cardiovascular health that total C (although components of the TC # are important too).
my glucose runs on the low side. my mom is 87 and she had parents who lived into the 90's, so even though her cholesterol is high she has genetics for longevity...my dad and his dad both died in tragic accidents, but his mom and siblings lived to a decent age although not nearly the longevity of my moms side.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
my glucose runs on the low side. my mom is 87 and she had parents who lived into the 90's, so even though her cholesterol is high she has genetics for longevity...my dad and his dad both died in tragic accidents, but his mom and siblings lived to a decent age although not nearly the longevity of my moms side.
That's good to hear. It is always good to have a family medical history AND family diet/exercise history to estimate what lies ahead.

For example, I was told "there is a history of diabetes in the family". Not my mom and dad, but grandparents. When that sole person was identified, it was a grandparent who ate horribly and drank a liter of vodka a day. Easy one there, not gonna affect me. A parent on my wife's side died of complications from heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure. He ate poorly, smoked, drank, no physical activity. My wife and kids have no risk factors unless they follow that pathway.

Use the hgbA1c as a better marker for blood glucose control vs fasting glucose level.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

My Grandmother (on my Dad's side) and several of her family members that I know of lived to within a year or two of the Century mark.
I wish I knew more about her health specifics.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My Grandmother (on my Dad's side) and several of her family members that I know of lived to within a year or two of the Century mark.
I wish I knew more about her health specifics.
i never saw a single prescription bottle in any of their houses....they relied on natural cures-pretty amazing-eh?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i never saw a single prescription bottle in any of their houses....they relied on natural cures-pretty amazing-eh?

Yeah.
My Grandmother's family were mountain people. She grew up on a farm in the mountains.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah.
My Grandmother's family were mountain people. She grew up on a farm in the mountains.
everyone always says how great modern medicine is, funny how well our grandparents did without it, lol.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
everyone always says how great modern medicine is, funny how well our grandparents did without it, lol.
Yes, plus they weren't raised on processed BS in the frozen food section... not to mention fast food.

Last time I touched McDonalds about 7 years ago, chicken nuggets and fries, my BP and heart rate spiked. It taste great, but my body said "this **** is poison". I'll stick with burgers and fries from IN N Out or a mom and pop burger joint if I have the desire for it on a cheat day.

sdplissken

sdplissken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Modern medicine is indeed great and has come a long way. Statins are a major breakthrough.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Modern medicine is indeed great and has come a long way. Statins are a major breakthrough.
it must be great, every medicine cabinet is full of prescriptions....is the expected age going up?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
oipiods-over prescribed
anti depresants-over prescribed
anti anxiety meds-over prescribed
antibiotics-over prescribed

sdplissken

sdplissken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
oipiods-over prescribed
anti depresants-over prescribed
anti anxiety meds-over prescribed
antibiotics-over prescribed
I totally agree with you that overprescription is a pandemic plague. Modern medicine doesn't dictate this. Doctors do that, sometimes misinterpreting what they have read and sometimes because of their financial interest.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I totally agree with you that overprescription is a pandemic plague. Modern medicine doesn't dictate this. Doctors do that, sometimes misinterpreting what they have read and sometimes because of their financial interest.
doctors are a integral part of medicine. you can't say modern medicine is great while at the same time saying doctors are not, imo.

sdplissken

sdplissken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
doctors are a integral part of medicine. you can't say modern medicine is great while at the same time saying doctors are not, imo.
Only a minority of doctors. The majority does a great job.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes it is and it will rise more in the near future. View attachment 195159
Keep in mind this graph is not currently accurate and a little misleading given current trends. It is based on data through 2017, extrapolated to 2050. The UN produced a 2019 projection, but I am not able to pull the US out of it for comparison. North America was combined in the 2019 data I saw, which is troubling.

The data from the above graph shows 78.84 years was the highest life expectancy in the US in 2014. In 2017, it was slightly lower at 78.54. In Canada, 2014 = 81.8 and 2017 = 82.25 for comparison.

This one from the World Bank let's you throw in all types of views: https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&idim=country:USA:GBR:CAN&hl=en&dl=en

Robert124

Awards
i guess i am the exception to genetic linked high cholesterol, my mom is on statins and still is out of range and she eats as low fat a diet as i have ever seen...i on the other hand eat what i want[in moderation]and have very good cholesterol levels.
Yes my brother is like that. He’s on Lipitor and has gone as far as eating vegan and still can’t control the cholesterol.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah.
Same. Grandparents too. My paternal grandparents were actually subsitance farmers and ate what they grew and never took anything to market to sell.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have used red yeast rice in the past with other supplements and it worked but not enough to really lower it.
RYR is actually a statin itself, but it might not have been on the level of dosage and the variance in natural herbal supplements to be beneficial to you.

Red Yeast Rice (RYR) is a rice product fermented by bacteria that contains the drug lovastatin, and is currently the most effective naturally occurring statin. It is able, like most statins, to reduce circulating cholesterol levels.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Mk677 (also gh and other secretagogues) reduces cholesterol slightly.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought I read something years ago that the main component of RYR was removed because it was so effective at reducing cholesterol. I was told the only actual effective ryr is the Chinese ryr and not the pills you buy otc..

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I thought I read something years ago that the main component of RYR was removed because it was so effective at reducing cholesterol. I was told the only actual effective ryr is the Chinese ryr and not the pills you buy otc..
i remember reading same thing, this was awhile back.