• First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Starbucks Is Preparing for Delivery in 2015

Success of Fail???

Starbucks Is Preparing for Delivery in 2015

Coffee wherever, whenever you need it? Starbucks is getting ready to make it happen.

On Thursday, Starbucks announced in an earnings call that food and beverage delivery would be available in select markets during the second half of 2015. In a move that CEO Howard Schultz calls "ecommerce on steroids," the delivery service will be an extension of the chain's Mobile Order and Pay app.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw this the other day. Would make sense for larger orders of coffee. Panera and other bakery's already do it.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Man markets like New York and such are going to make a killing on this!

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll take a cup a day... Lol.... Other than that , Fail.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Extremely overpriced.
Anything that is convenient now and days is overpriced.
Welcome to America.

If you want to make your coffee at home of course it will be 100x cheaper
if you want to amke your own food at home it will be 100x cheaper than eating out.

I was looking forward to trying a Pumpkin Spice Latte this year and then when i chcked out for a small (8oz) coffee it was almost 5$.

i was like yeah.... not again anytime soon.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anything that is convenient now and days is overpriced.
Welcome to America.

If you want to make your coffee at home of course it will be 100x cheaper
if you want to amke your own food at home it will be 100x cheaper than eating out.

I was looking forward to trying a Pumpkin Spice Latte this year and then when i chcked out for a small (8oz) coffee it was almost 5$.

i was like yeah.... not again anytime soon.
True but that is why when I'm out I go to Dunkin Donuts.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I disagree, but spend your money where and how you want to.

I personally don't visit Starbucks very often as I rarely drink coffee, but I admire their business model.

They aren't just selling coffee. Millions of people go to Starbucks for the experience it provides. They have one of the most consistent, predictable, persistent, business models ever created. They have figured out how to make Starbucks a part of millions of people's lives. They have literally changed the way a big majority of how people live their lives on a day to day basis.

And they have found another way to make Starbucks a part of people's daily routine with the mobile coffee business they are introducing.

So to my original point, they are nothing like GNC and their business model.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dang, that's steep. I've wanted to try their "Blendicano" for a while now, seeing as how it's mostly SF syrups (that I can't find) and blended up ice/expresso.

Also, have you seen this? Bolthouse is usually readily available in most stores around here.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can see how this would work in big cities, not so much for the more spread out areas. And how are they going to keep the drinks hot if it's a 20 minute trip?

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I can see how this would work in big cities, not so much for the more spread out areas. And how are they going to keep the drinks hot if it's a 20 minute trip?

It'll be similar to a food truck I would imagine. Selection may be limited to what they have in their brick and mortar stores.

BrianFitness

BrianFitness

Awards
Desperate means of bumping their business..
2 Starbucks locations were closed down nearby my house throughout the years..

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Desperate means of bumping their business.. 2 Starbucks locations were closed down nearby my house throughout the years..

What?? Lol their business is absolutely thriving! They just had their best quarter EVER!

They can't be too desperate they are giving every employee an opportunity for a free college education.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/06/16/starbucks-announces-it-will-give-a-free-college-education-to-thousands-of-workers/?optimizely=a

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Please explain...
Why would anyone deliver a $2 cup of tea? One would lose money having to pay a delivery guy an hourly wage. Granted, I don't think most will buy a single small cup or coffee or a single item in general, but if everyone did, they would lose money in the long run. The company would have to pay an hourly wage to people working in the store and for delivery.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What business do you know of that delivers without a minimum purchase amount?
I have a few small pizza and sandwich shops around me that don't have a minimum for delivery. Only a minimum for credit card/debit card use.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would anyone deliver a $2 cup of tea? One would lose money having to pay a delivery guy an hourly wage. Granted, I don't think most will buy a single small cup or coffee or a single item in general, but if everyone did, they would lose money in the long run. The company would have to pay an hourly wage to people working in the store and for delivery.
I think he's wondering how its dumb, not why you think they'll have a minimum order.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Hardwork25, Why such a strong reaction/defense of Starbucks?. Do you work for them in some capacity?.

Not at all, and never have. As someone in the business world, I admire their business model and what they stand for.

Howard Schultz has fantastic business mind.
They have literally changed habits of human beings. They have single handily changed the way lots of us function on a daily basis.

It's just neat to me, and I wish more people understood how a business like their's operates because we would all be better off (And make more money) if people did.

McDonald's is another one of my favorite businesses even though I haven't eaten there in years.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
Not at all, and never have. As someone in the business world, I admire their business model and what they stand for.

Howard Schultz has fantastic business mind.
They have literally changed habits of human beings. They have single handily changed the way lots of us function on a daily basis.

It's just neat to me, and I wish more people understood how a business like their's operates because we would all be better off (And make more money) if people did.

McDonald's is another one of my favorite businesses even though I haven't eaten there in years.
If you are in fact "in the business world", you might want to do a little more research on the companies you just mentioned to see exactly who benefits from these business models. Not everyone makes money like you think off of this kind of structure.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
If you are in fact "in the business world", you might want to do a little more research on the companies you just mentioned to see exactly who benefits from these business models. Not everyone makes money like you think off of this kind of structure.

Of course not everyone makes money. There are winners and losers in everything. Please explain what you think the business structure's are of these companies.

Also.... I wasn't really speaking to the point of how these companies benefit people. (Even though they create thousands of jobs, provide career growth opportunities to people that may not have many other options, and increase the value of the areas they are in to name a few).

I admire their business models because what they have done is damn near impossible for any business. To proved a consistent product using a systematized process across thousands of locations is incredible.

Being able to make 1 business run efficiently and make money is hard as heck. I know I've failed at it more than once! And they do it on a global scale!

Hell McDonald's isn't even in the business of selling hamburgers!

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
I dont know if this will be that success because most people grab it on the way to work. Maybe having bigger companies partner with starbucks and taking orders at the company and then having like a star bucks truck deliver the orders to companies would be succesful. or having a starbucks vendor cart go around to companies certain days of the week.