Unanswered Squatting everyday

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squats are one of my favorite exercises, but unfortunately I've not been squatting for nearly a year due to a back injury I had. I recently started up squatting again and obviously lost a lot of strength. I want to gain it back quickly, so I've decided to squat daily. Warm up sets and then only 3 working sets. My first week trying this and so far so good. Nice to be back under the bar again. Just wondering if any other lifters do this. It's not common at all in the bodybuilding world but I had a powerlifting friend who swore by this, so that's the idea, mainly doing this to get strength back while also not adding in too much volume, too soon.

Last edited:
booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So long as you keep volume and intensity moderate theres nothing wrong with this... obviously nutrition/recovery is also key as well but that should go without saying

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So long as you keep volume and intensity moderate theres nothing wrong with this... obviously nutrition/recovery is also key as well but that should go without saying
Doing 3 working sets of 5. Keeping volume very low. Starting with low weight and aiming for about a 25lbs increase every week until I get over 300lbs then I'll switch to a traditional lifting program. When I'm getting closer to 300, then I'll switch to sets of 3. So far it's really been a great way to get back into it, giving me a lot of time to focus on form, etc.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Max id so is 3x a week to give your CNS time to recover. It’s a taxing exercise and even though you feel fine you could be slowly overdoing it
I’m on almost full HRT so when my CNS feels taxed, I take extra hydrocortisone. But I’m only doing low volume (3-5 rep) sets, x3. I’m also doing a lot of extra mobility work right now and only going to do this for a month or two to get my strength back. It’s coming back fast this week! I’ve literally done nothing for legs the past year due to my back. Every time I tried, it didn’t feel safe, but things are feeling good now.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m on almost full HRT so when my CNS feels taxed, I take extra hydrocortisone. But I’m only doing low volume (3-5 rep) sets, x3. I’m also doing a lot of extra mobility work right now and only going to do this for a month or two to get my strength back. It’s coming back fast this week! I’ve literally done nothing for legs the past year due to my back. Every time I tried, it didn’t feel safe, but things are feeling good now.
Does exogenous cortisol recover the CNS? Seems like a forced recover method that may be robbing peter to pay Paul. I think squatting everyday makes sense if very low intensity. Results will build

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Doing 3 working sets of 5. Keeping volume very low. Starting with low weight and aiming for about a 25lbs increase every week until I get over 300lbs then I'll switch to a traditional lifting program. When I'm getting closer to 300, then I'll switch to sets of 3. So far it's really been a great way to get back into it, giving me a lot of time to focus on form, etc.
Just make sure intensity is lower too. You can do 1 set of 5 but if it’s and rpe of 10 then you’re going to tax your cns too much and not recover enough. Volume is only half the equation

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There is a whole book on this concept.

I don’t think it’s the best approach and especially if you haven’t even been doing them for so long due to injury I’d ease into it slower.

Regardless if you do continue monitor recovery and at the very least alter your reps, sets, etc each day, I wouldn’t recommend such a linear and same every day approach (such a high frequency plan does better with more smart auto regulation as well).

E

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I ran Corey Gregory's squat everday program which is 30 days in actual programming and then up to you if you want to repeat it. I gained more strength in those 30 days than I have ever before and it was that brute full body strength you get from compound lifts. The good thing with his program is that he incorporates other body parts too so it's a true program and not just one exercise. That being said I highly recommend not going longer than that. After 30 days I was spent. I think a month on and month off would be a good frequency of it otherwise I think you'll deplete yourself far too much.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran Corey Gregory's squat everday program which is 30 days in actual programming and then up to you if you want to repeat it. I gained more strength in those 30 days than I have ever before and it was that brute full body strength you get from compound lifts. The good thing with his program is that he incorporates other body parts too so it's a true program and not just one exercise. That being said I highly recommend not going longer than that. After 30 days I was spent. I think a month on and month off would be a good frequency of it otherwise I think you'll deplete yourself far too much.
I remember when BB.com had that 30-day squat trailer on their homepage... it looked brutal!

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember when BB.com had that 30-day squat trailer on their homepage... it looked brutal!

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wonder if it would still work if you opted for a hack squat? V squat?

I’ve always wanted to try full body everyday, or 5-6 x a week. This approach never seemed optimal for body composition, though. However , I’d assume if you chose the movements which you;

- “Feel”best aka mind muscle connection
- Achieve the best pump
- Able to progress on
- Most optimal for muscle growth

You’d have to really choose well as you wouldn’t be able to train with a large amount of volume per muscle.

I’d probably split an A/B workout an alternate each day , Mon - Sat

Wouldn’t be able to go to failure, or anything crazy. Focus on time under tension get enough stimulation/pump and move on

(A)
Dumbbell bench press 3x 10-12
Leg press 3x 15-20
Barbell row 3x 10-15
Curl variation 3x 15-20 superset Tricep extension
Lateral raise 3x 20
Reverse pec deck 3x 15-20
Lying leg curl 3x 12-15
Calf raise (seated) 3x 25-30

(B)
Hack squat 3x 8-12
Incline DB bench 3x 8-12
Shoulder press 3x 10-15
Romanian deadlift on smith 3x 10-15
Lat pulldown 3x 12-15
Ez curl superset ez bar skullcrusher 3x 10-15
Lateral raise 3x 20
Cable rear delt fly 3x 20
Shrugs 3x 10-15
Calves (seated) 3x 25-30

Abs and core work done 3-5 x per week
Crunches, leg raises, machine, etc

Mon - A
Tues - B
Wed - A
Thursday - B
Friday - A
Saturday - B
Sunday - Rest

Edit: 👆 Not DOING OR SUGGESTING. I’m simply listing something I would try if I was to experiment .

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
how much changes did you see in your legs after that program? did your whole body change any? I been interested in what body changes you would get from it

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does exogenous cortisol recover the CNS? Seems like a forced recover method that may be robbing peter to pay Paul. I think squatting everyday makes sense if very low intensity. Results will build
No it doesn’t recover it but helps you get through periods of stress by supporting the CNS. I’ll sometimes take extra cortisol on cycle as well, especially if feeling burnt out.

E

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
how much changes did you see in your legs after that program? did your whole body change any? I been interested in what body changes you would get from it
Whole body changed as there are other compounds throw in and even some arm days to keep things balanced. With how brutal it is, your body will change. I was hard as a rock and strength was through the roof.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whole body changed as there are other compounds throw in and even some arm days to keep things balanced. With how brutal it is, your body will change. I was hard as a rock and strength was through the roof.
Yup I'm squatting everyday while doing other lifts but not working everything else as frequently. More like every other day fullbody (with more volume for those lifts compared to my squats). Squats are being kept very low volume. Only 3-5 reps x 3 working sets. I'm thinking I should be close to where I want to be in about a month, because I'm progressing very rapidly. I'm doing serious mobility work daily too though, almost necessary.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No it doesn’t recover it but helps you get through periods of stress by supporting the CNS. I’ll sometimes take extra cortisol on cycle as well, especially if feeling burnt out.
How do you take extra cortisol? So novice about this but very interested.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you take extra cortisol? So novice about this but very interested.
I have hydrocortisone tabs I get from overseas (India) but some people have also used hydrocortisone cream/gel in a pinch. I'm not sure how to dose it if capping the creams/gel though.

Normally I'll take 25mg of hydrocortisone in pill form throughout the daily.
10mg upon waking
5mg a few hours later,
another 5mg a few more hours later,
then 2.5mg and another 2.5mg early evening

If my CNS seems to be over-taxed, I'll "stress-dose" an extra 5mg here and there.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if it would still work if you opted for a hack squat? V squat?

I’ve always wanted to try full body everyday, or 5-6 x a week. This approach never seemed optimal for body composition, though. However , I’d assume if you chose the movements which you;

- “Feel”best aka mind muscle connection
- Achieve the best pump
- Able to progress on
- Most optimal for muscle growth

You’d have to really choose well as you wouldn’t be able to train with a large amount of volume per muscle.

I’d probably split an A/B workout an alternate each day , Mon - Sat

Wouldn’t be able to go to failure, or anything crazy. Focus on time under tension get enough stimulation/pump and move on

(A)
Dumbbell bench press 3x 10-12
Leg press 3x 15-20
Barbell row 3x 10-15
Curl variation 3x 15-20 superset Tricep extension
Lateral raise 3x 20
Reverse pec deck 3x 15-20
Lying leg curl 3x 12-15
Calf raise (seated) 3x 25-30

(B)
Hack squat 3x 8-12
Incline DB bench 3x 8-12
Shoulder press 3x 10-15
Romanian deadlift on smith 3x 10-15
Lat pulldown 3x 12-15
Ez curl superset ez bar skullcrusher 3x 10-15
Lateral raise 3x 20
Cable rear delt fly 3x 20
Shrugs 3x 10-15
Calves (seated) 3x 25-30

Abs and core work done 3-5 x per week
Crunches, leg raises, machine, etc

Mon - A
Tues - B
Wed - A
Thursday - B
Friday - A
Saturday - B
Sunday - Rest

Edit: 👆 Not DOING OR SUGGESTING. I’m simply listing something I would try if I was to experiment .
Ouch, this looks painful!! I'm definitely doing far less volume!! Just to regain strength in my squat, not for body composition. This could be very risky above, in terms of injury, with that type of volume everyday. I'm doing daily sets of 3-5 for strength and with very very strict form (just for my squat) and everything else I'm training every other day with high volume.

Once my squat strength gets back up to around a 400lb 1RP, then I will switch back to volume training for legs/squats.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I imagine that high frequency training must improve muscle density/quality too, beyond the constant pump it can provide.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m going to take a look for this. One of my good friends who I don’t see much of these days due to life/family, he used to squat in the 400’s range for reps, and did the squat daily program. Never asked him which program he was following because he legit mostly just squatted and only threw in some random upper body work here n there. Not what I was interested in. But right now I’m desperate to gain that lower body strength back, as I’ll be joining a Muay Thai gym soon, and I’ve really neglected legs the past year due to a back injury.

If it gets to be too much then I’ll take weekends off or squat eod.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But right now I’m desperate to gain that lower body strength back, as I’ll be joining a Muay Thai gym soon, and I’ve really neglected legs the past year due to a back injury.

If it gets to be too much then I’ll take weekends off or squat eod.
If you want something to benefit you in Muay Thai you should forget about squatting everyday and start running everyday instead. Squatting that much will only make you slow and heavy while you want to be fast and light, jumping, sprinting and such will be a better choice.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you want something to benefit you in Muay Thai you should forget about squatting everyday and start running everyday instead. Squatting that much will only make you slow and heavy while you want to be fast and light, jumping, sprinting and such will be a better choice.
Squatting won’t make you slow and heavy 🤦‍♂️

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry but no this is just wrong in so many ways. Squatting won’t make you slow and heavy. If that were the case then Running backs wouldn’t squat in the NFL, sprinters wouldn’t squat in the olympics, football teams wouldn’t squat, no one would do it. Sorry but your logic is flawed on 2 basis. 1) squatting requires more overall CNS activation than most other things aside from sprinting and Olympic lifting. 2) loading the body allows for increased bone density via Wolfs Law. This reduces injury risk.

Also if he were to do controlled eccentric movements with a fast explosive concentric movement, then he would get similar benefits as sprinting with less impact on the knees ankles, and joints, increased bone density and muscle fiber density, better recruitment and ROP development due to transferring fibers to Type 2a over from type 1 as well as developing MORE neuromuscular junctions within the fibers from squatting.

There’s plenty more but those are the two easiest to point out without me having to type a lot, I’m feeling lazy this morning.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I did squats about every other day for a while. 2 working sets. First working set was in the 10-15 range, second set was heavier in the 3-5 range.

I made great progress, briefly. It quickly stalled (4-6 weeks) and dropping back to squatting every 3 days in this fashion squeezed a little more juice out of it, but only for about another 4 weeks.

It was worth it, but it will only last for so long and it is brutal, and overall it was very taxing and left me feeling like crap. BUT, I think people should do it because it definately improves your squat - yes in weight but more importantly in technique.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Squatting won’t make you slow and heavy 🤦‍♂️
squatting everyday will 100% make you slow and heavy. Well, if you only do air squats it won’t effect you very much, but, if you go heavy it’s very easy to put on weight and it’s getting harder to move when your legs are sore from lifting, especially if you getting leg kicked.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry but no this is just wrong in so many ways. Squatting won’t make you slow and heavy. If that were the case then Running backs wouldn’t squat in the NFL, sprinters wouldn’t squat in the olympics, football teams wouldn’t squat, no one would do it. Sorry but your logic is flawed on 2 basis. 1) squatting requires more overall CNS activation than most other things aside from sprinting and Olympic lifting. 2) loading the body allows for increased bone density via Wolfs Law. This reduces injury risk.

Also if he were to do controlled eccentric movements with a fast explosive concentric movement, then he would get similar benefits as sprinting with less impact on the knees ankles, and joints, increased bone density and muscle fiber density, better recruitment and ROP development due to transferring fibers to Type 2a over from type 1 as well as developing MORE neuromuscular junctions within the fibers from squatting.

There’s plenty more but those are the two easiest to point out without me having to type a lot, I’m feeling lazy this morning.
Ok, squatting is great for everything, you’re right about that, but, squatting everyday won’t help you in fighting. Squatting everyday will most likely put on weight and I can promise it won’t get easier to move when your legs are sore or pumped from lifting the day before, especially not if you getting leg kicked.

Go and do a heavy squat day and then try to fight someone the day after, report back of your failure.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, squatting is great for everything, you’re right about that, but, squatting everyday won’t help you in fighting. Squatting everyday will most likely put on weight and I can promise it won’t get easier to move when your legs are sore or pumped from lifting the day before, especially not if you getting leg kicked.

Go and do a heavy squat day and then try to fight someone the day after, report back of your failure.
Using that logic, any leg training at all would be harmful. I mean, go for a long run until you are exhausted, and then try to fight someone at the end of that run...come back and report your failure. Obviously nobody is doing sets of squats until they collapse and then struggling to stand right before they get in a fight.

Being a muay thai fighter, would you rather kick Ronnie Coleman's thigh, or Haile Gebrselassie's thigh? Who do you think is more likely to laugh off your kick?

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
squatting everyday will 100% make you slow and heavy. Well, if you only do air squats it won’t effect you very much, but, if you go heavy it’s very easy to put on weight and it’s getting harder to move when your legs are sore from lifting, especially if you getting leg kicked.
Food and caloric surplus puts on weight not squats. So squats won’t make you heavy.

Your second point of being slower I assumed was due to implications of being heavier, but if it was due to recovery then it’s important to remember individual responses to exercise (some will have more decreases in subsequent performance versus others).

OP isn’t doing high volume or high intensity on the squats. I probably wouldn’t do squats every day (I would still squat at some part in training and would be dependent on a variety of other factors) and any sort of fight training, but that’s not the point you stated squatting makes you slow and heavy.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squatting heavy for low reps is going to build my leg/hip/core strength and get me tight again. Right now I'm feeling loose and weak in my hips/legs/core. My aim is not to build size on this short term routine, and low volume/high frequency like this won't do much for size at all, it's how you build strength fast.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Using that logic, any leg training at all would be harmful. I mean, go for a long run until you are exhausted, and then try to fight someone at the end of that run...come back and report your failure. Obviously nobody is doing sets of squats until they collapse and then struggling to stand right before they get in a fight.

Being a muay thai fighter, would you rather kick Ronnie Coleman's thigh, or Haile Gebrselassie's thigh? Who do you think is more likely to laugh off your kick?
lol, I guess you don’t have any experience from fighting? more muscles do not equal better at taking punishment, especially not leg kicks.

I don’t know who Haile is but I would completely cripple Ronnie Coleman, and if I for some reason would not drop him with leg kicks his legs would be way too pumped to move. It is a reason why most fighters do not look like bodybuilders.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Food and caloric surplus puts on weight not squats. So squats won’t make you heavy.

Your second point of being slower I assumed was due to implications of being heavier, but if it was due to recovery then it’s important to remember individual responses to exercise (some will have more decreases in subsequent performance versus others).

OP isn’t doing high volume or high intensity on the squats. I probably wouldn’t do squats every day (I would still squat at some part in training and would be dependent on a variety of other factors) and any sort of fight training, but that’s not the point you stated squatting makes you slow and heavy.
I stated squatting everyday will make you slow&heavy, running everyday is a much better choice.

For an example (and since it appears no one else have experience in fighting), I have competed for about 20 yrs, 10 of those as a professional. During this time I squatted very limited, mostly because I was heavy for my weight class (did not want gain weight) and because it was horrible to run&move the day after. I didn’t even squat for my heavyweight fightsI don’t know any other pro fighters that squatted heavy and I can promise no one was squatting everyday!

For a fighter it’s way more beneficial to run everyday than squatting everyday and if I fight again, I would much rather fight a guy that squats everyday than someone that runs everyday, lol, I would ruin the squatters life.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have hydrocortisone tabs I get from overseas (India) but some people have also used hydrocortisone cream/gel in a pinch. I'm not sure how to dose it if capping the creams/gel though.

Normally I'll take 25mg of hydrocortisone in pill form throughout the daily.
10mg upon waking
5mg a few hours later,
another 5mg a few more hours later,
then 2.5mg and another 2.5mg early evening

If my CNS seems to be over-taxed, I'll "stress-dose" an extra 5mg here and there.
Wow! Very interesting!

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I stated squatting everyday will make you slow&heavy.

Blah blah blah
It won’t. I thought the myth strength training made you bulky and slow had died, but forgot fighters were one of the sports segments still fighting that battle as far as proper effective training plans goes.

I won’t go on because you sound too set in your ways and won’t destroy OPs thread.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It won’t. I thought the myth strength training made you bulky and slow had died, but forgot fighters were one of the sports segments still fighting that battle as far as proper effective training plans goes.

I won’t go on because you sound too set in your ways and won’t destroy OPs thread.
Exactly. Look at most olympic lifters / strength athletes. They are not big bulky giants. They're very compact, because they train for strength, not size. @BBiceps does not understand this. He also doesn't understand that running / endurance training will not give you crazy leg strength. If I want to be an endurance athlete, then sure, I will do endurance training. But I want to be a powerful athlete, so I am powerlifting, not bodybuilding, not endurance training. Strange that he's not getting this at all. When it comes time to work on endurance, then I will address that, but right now I'm trying to boost my strength. You can't do everything at once.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

We can go on as long as you want, you will still be wrong and I will still be right, it’s a difference between thinking you know something to actually know something, but what ever makes you happy.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Exactly. Look at most olympic lifters / strength athletes. They are not big bulky giants. They're very compact, because they train for strength, not size. @BBiceps does not understand this. He also doesn't understand that running / endurance training will not give you crazy leg strength. If I want to be an endurance athlete, then sure, I will do endurance training. But I want to be a powerful athlete, so I am powerlifting, not bodybuilding, not endurance training. Strange that he's not getting this at all. When it comes time to work on endurance, then I will address that, but right now I'm trying to boost my strength. You can't do everything at once.
lol, good for you, in the end it’s what’s makes you happy, I just recommended to focus on cardio instead of strength if you want to exceed in any fight training.

Think about it like this, if 2 fighters is equal in skill and size, the only difference is that 1 have focused on cardio and the other 1 have been focusing on strength, who do you think will win?

For all of you meatheads that tries to argue about this, I never said strength is not important and squatting is great, I said that running everyday is better than squatting everyday for fight training.

Like I said before, I never seen a high level fighter squat everyday in fight camp, but, I seen lazy fighters trying to skip running and do kettlebell workouts instead (not really squatting but close enough) and guess what, the always gas out!

Last edited:
Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol, good for you, in the end it’s what’s makes you happy, I just recommended to focus on cardio instead of strength if you want to exceed in any fight training.

Think about it like this, if 2 fighters is equal in skill and size, the only difference is that 1 have focused on cardio and the other 1 have been focusing on strength, who do you think will win?

For all of you meatheads that tries to argue about this, I never said strength is not important and squatting is great, I said that running everyday is better than squatting everyday for fight training.

Like I said before, I never seen a high level fighter squat everyday in fight camp, but, I seen lazy fighters trying to skip running and do kettlebell workouts instead (not really squatting but close enough) and guess what, the always gas out!
First of all, I mentioned in my original post that I'm trying to match my lower body strength to my upper body strength because I'm wildly disproportioned right now. Any athlete needs to have overall symmetry in strength. Second of all, I never stated that I'm trying to compete in Muay Thai. I said I'm joining a Muy Thai gym, that's all. I'm joining it for fun, to boost my endurance, and as an outlet for aggression. Is that ok with YOU? LOL jaysus....Chill out.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First of all, I mentioned in my original post that I'm trying to match my lower body strength to my upper body strength because I'm wildly disproportioned right now. Any athlete needs to have overall symmetry in strength. Second of all, I never stated that I'm trying to compete in Muay Thai. I said I'm joining a Muy Thai gym, that's all. I'm joining it for fun, to boost my endurance, and as an outlet for aggression. Is that ok with YOU? LOL jaysus....Chill out.
I agree with you @Outofbody.

Kevin Randleman squatted. Many other fighters have squatted as well. Blanket statements like “squatting makes you bulky” doesn’t fly... hell most NFL wide outs and receivers squat and they are lightning fast and nimble. Dude above is putting the capital G in “Generalizing.”

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Kevin Randleman squatted. Many other fighters have squatted as well. Blanket statements like “squatting makes you bulky” doesn’t fly... hell most NFL wide outs and receivers squat and they are lightning fast and nimble. Dude above is putting the capital G in “Generalizing.”
Kevin Randleman was also know to gas out, well, all the Hammer House fighters rather lifted weights than running, and guess what, they’re all known to gas out. I have trained with Randleman and Baroni, tough guys and strong guys, they can out lift most but always had a problem with cardio and lost because of it.

Listen guys, I was not trying **** on anyone’s training method, if you like to squat squat as much as you want, do what ever makes you happy, I was just recommending to run instead of squatting if you wanted to fight train, it’ll make everything easier. But, if you don’t want to run, that’s fine, squat away if it makes you happier. I really don’t see the problem here and why everyone felt the need to attack me because of a recommendation.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Having trained numerous athletes, in all sports including Cricket (surprisingly) OP is not the right track, just need to watch your form, and load/volume. Intensity is another big one to watch but there’s nothing wrong with squatting. You need to be hyper aware of what your body needs though. Maybe sub out squatting for leg press and stuff once or twice a week

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Well he’s also making assumptions and giving me tips on how to be the best competitive fighter, yet I’ve not trained kickboxing even one day in my life lol. Have to walk before you run, and right now I’m walking on weak legs. Once I strengthen them over the next month, I plan on joining Muay Thai, but I will never run for cardio, no matter what OP says. I’ll train kickboxing drills instead. My gym trains circuits nonstop for an hour. Doing this 3x a week is enough for me and my goals, as I plan to continue powerbuilding as well (hybrid powerlifting / bodybuilding) but at that point I will be following a proper program and not be squatting daily. These are my goals, and BBiceps needs to keep his goals out of this. My intentions are not to be a competitive fighter like him. Watch him get triggered now lol.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having trained numerous athletes, in all sports including Cricket (surprisingly) OP is not the right track, just need to watch your form, and load/volume. Intensity is another big one to watch but there’s nothing wrong with squatting. You need to be hyper aware of what your body needs though. Maybe sub out squatting for leg press and stuff once or twice a week
Yup agreed. Just finished my first week and my lower back is feeling it so I’m going to mix it up with some split squats, glute raises, leg press, etc and will take weekends off from lower body work.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yup agreed. Just finished my first week and my lower back is feeling it so I’m going to mix it up with some split squats, glute raises, leg press, etc and will take weekends off from lower body work.
Bulgarian split squats work too, I like them a lot. Single leg leg press is nice too, also 5 second down hold for 3 squats are brutal as hell, would recommend trying those out at some point because you have to go a lot lighter

Also drop sets on leg press is fun, nice way to take pressure off the back

Last edited:
Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5 second down hold for 3 squats are brutal as hell, would recommend trying those out at some point because you have to go a lot lighter
I really like these. Been actually trying them out this week during my warmups. I normally squat a2g and would just hold in the down position to get a nice stretch, and then explode up.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My take on this so far: I've gotta say this has been an amazing way to add raw strength onto your squat incredibly fast. However, this is not the smartest thing to do for anyone with pre-existing injuries.

My lower back is flaring up so now I'm going to switch to daily core work, Bulgarian split squats, glute-raises, and banded KB deadlifts for some time until I start squatting again. I'm hesitant to add in machine work in order to work around my issues/injury. I'm a believer in fixing anything that's causing pain and being able to lift with the barbell again, before adding in accessory work like leg press, etc. I definitely don't want to use leg press as my primary lift to work around an injury, as I'll start seeing big progress on that and then it will lower my motivation to fix my $hit.