Squats activate over 200 muscles. Do we have a list of which they are?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read the plug line above quite a bit, about the 200+ muscles. So I searched for a list of those and no luck.
Anyone come across a detailed list?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Idk but I'd guess anything from the belly button down. And other then the main muscles that we know it works the others are probably a very small degree

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It depends on a lot. What kind of squat? The person's anatomy/physiology and how they squat as seen here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5276771/

It also depends on what you count as a muscle in that 200 number. Some people split muscle complexes into multiple muscles and some don't. A quick google search brought up some general lists though.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The word is activate however. I think that any Squat variation would elicit a response over an entire body.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Idk but I'd guess anything from the belly button down. And other then the main muscles that we know it works the others are probably a very small degree
Its a lot more than that. Entire posterior chain engages, core, arms squeezing the bar etc.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yes anything below the chin will be activated to varying degrees I'd imagine. I've never lost upper body size when running a challenging squat program exclusively (smolov for example) It seems there's enough stimulus to maintain the entire body.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
One thing I have noticed after running heavy highbae squats for months is my neck has seriously thickened up.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I recon the shoulders traps lats and to a much smaller degree the arms help to stabalise the bar. Your core needs to be solid and stable and that doesn't actually include anything below the waist. The only thing I feel absolutely nothing in when I squat is my chest... And I do ***** light weight squats for 20 reps.