Squats 7 days a week

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
SHOULD you Squat Every Day?
I'm sure some of you have tried this and if so how did you like it?
I never attempted such a program as the time I'd spend getting to and from a gym ED isn't practical. Now I have a home squat rack though which frees up much more time and allows flexibilty so I am giving this a shot.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
SHOULD you Squat Every Day?
I'm sure some of you have tried this and if so how did you like it?
I never attempted such a program as the time I'd spend getting to and from a gym ED isn't practical. Now I have a home squat rack though which frees up much more time and allows flexibilty so I am giving this a shot.
Subbed

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
What are your fitness goals, at least in relevance to legs

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Both strength and size. Improving my power to weight ratio to 2.5x BW for olympic squat.
At present I'm at 420lb and weigh 200lb
The past 3 days of this program I've been squatting 285 for 3x12.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed. I just got a squat rack for home use and I thought about doing this very same protocol.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I do like being able to spread out the volume over 7 days. My squat workout takes all of about 10 minutes ED. Important for me as to stay motivated I prefer to keeping workouts short and intense. It's day 5 and I feel the weight is getting easier to move. I feel I'm settling into the groove. No DOMS anymore. So far, so good

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd encourage you guys to read the HST FAQ before squatting every day. It covers neurologic fatigue/recovery vs muscular fatigue/recovery. Concepts are tailored primarily toward hypertrophy but have worked for busting strength plateaus for me as well. And when this thread is based mostly on frequency training, I'd go to HST for reference.

I'm not saying you must do HST. I'm just thinking I'd never personally never reach my goals squatting every day bc of the immenant crash.

I'd dig up the link but I'm on the toilet at the moment.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've done it every other day and loved it

Come August I will be doing squats/deadlift rotating every day as warmups 5x5

Pray for me

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It's worked well for some people, I'd like to see if I'm "some people". I'll give HST a read while I stay the course.

I plan to stay at 285 for 3x12 for the next 3 months atleast as opposed to increasing load. When 285 comes up as fast for reps as 225lb does I may move up.

Putting the numbers together GVT has you squat 6xmonth for 10x10@70% or 600 rep total

Squat ED is 30 daysx3x12@70% or 1080 reps a month. That's a big jump in volume over GVT.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's worked well for some people, I'd like to see if I'm "some people". I'll give HST a read while I stay the course.

I plan to stay at 285 for 3x12 for the next 3 months atleast as opposed to increasing load.
Am I understanding this as, doing it every day for 3 months?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both strength and size. Improving my power to weight ratio to 2.5x BW for olympic squat.
At present I'm at 420lb and weigh 200lb
The past 3 days of this program I've been squatting 285 for 3x12.
Do you have a layout to increase your percentages/power/strength after your first volume month?
I mean, if you are going to build your rep to singles ratio, (like I understand say first lower weight say70% ie: volume, then power 80%+ then strength 90%+ as in say the Russian/Fred Hatfield's % program!?)
The article made some sense to me and I am somewhat familiar with Broz, not all that much however, but it looks like you are following something slightly different. Are you doing it to manly beef up your volume and certainly work/fitness capacity as well?

#420 not bad for your BW. I was never much built for the squat, more pulling/deads.
How/what kind of routines, did you use to get your original squat up to over #400?

Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?
...And eating enough too.
I admire your enthusiasm...!

Come August I will be doing squats/deadlift rotating every day as warmups 5x5
I kinda found as others, the deadlift on a regular 3x perhaps weekly basis, was a different animal. Granted I was in my late 40's early 50's at ther time so your age may be a good factor, however I was not able to continue over 4-6 weeks the almost daily beatings along with a full time job. Deads I think, may have something to do with the grip or irridation causing fatigue. The squat is different in that way. YMMV.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'm 5'11

I'm borrowing from a few training ideas and customizing to suit my needs/goals. Incorporating past experience of what works best for me in terms of both strength and size. I've run smolov several times in the past which contributed to much of my gains. Also 20 rep squat routines were successful, low rep strength routines not so much. I most recently ran GVT but as the training frequency was quite low (training legs E5D) I would be incredibly sore for 3 or 4 days between workouts not to mention I didn't gain much for my efforts in a 6 week run. I felt like training once every 5 days just didn't grease the groove.

My take on the 7 day a week training protocol is to keep reps in a range at which I respond best and get a tonne of practice in. More geared towards maximal hypertrophy than strength. 285 being my pet weight during this time frame and I'll slaughter it every which way until it comes up easy as an unloaded bar. Rest periods will reduce and I'll play with tempo with the goal to eventually push out 1x30. That would also push my 1rm to around 500. I don't really care too much for testing a max, predictions are good enough.

I'm definitely a squat guy as the movement feels very natural to me. DL's I don't train. They always felt awkward and without rhythm.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rest periods will reduce and I'll play with tempo with the goal to eventually push out 1x30. That would also push my 1rm to around 500. I don't really care too much for testing a max, predictions are good enough.
Okay, that makes some sense. It appears you do well with higher reps transferring to your single. When I was able to do #275x25, my 1RM was about #415. But I do suck more at squatting. So your single goes up almost #200 more, where mine was only around #125 or so.
Too, when I did deads for higher reps, I could get #485x20 in the TB dead, but only able to hit #560x1. (not even #100 more!) After I spent work doing lower reps near 85%+ and more multi sets, I moved my rep ratio to singles up. My reps in the conventional DL were around (#405x18-20) but hit #625x1.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
Currently doing this. Have noticed my legs have gained considerable size in just three weeks. Also noticed I'm not as sore as normal. For the first few days my CNS was so taxed after workouts I felt like I had sensory issues. All I wanted to do was lay in a dark room.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
PaulBlack, you've got some strong lifts mate! I do have a slightly higher than average transfer from high reps to maxes. I exceed the 1 rep max calculations based on a 12rm.

Nice work LAH813, I'm just a week and half in and +1/2" on my legs. I'm very happy with the results so far. I'm already lifting 285 much easier for reps than day 1. I'm assuming it's mostly CNS adaptations from the daily squatting. I had a flat couple days around day 5,6 into it aswell.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
How long do you plan to stay the course. Are you working up to a max each day and any issues with knees/other from all the squatting?

Kolorado

Awards
I used to do this all the time. Chest day I'd knock out a few reps of 225. Did squats 7 days a week for like 6 months or something. Switched to a push pull legs program. My legs are rarely sore now

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Did you gain well squatting every day? Yesterday I went for a 15km hike in some rugged mountain country. My workout following suffered.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Myself, I'd think I'd be sacrificing intensity for frequency. Maybe that's a good thing, but more than twice a week just seems a lot to me unless you've got any "special help"

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It is very high frequency and certainly not ideal for everyone it just happens to be working well for me at this point. So far exceeding every recent squat protocol I've run from the last 2 years and matching my first run of Smolov as a beginner in which I gained 100lb. My gains had slowed dramatically when my ATG hit 400lb or so. If I keep gaining at this rate (it's unlikely but who knows) I could hit 500lb in 3 months.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I used to do 6 days a week- different weights/reps/movements. I also used to do Smolov programs. All I can say from personal experience:
Eat well
Do all movements strictly and focused
Listen to your body -joints, etc

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice mate. Joints are finally starting to come good nearing the three week mark. First 2 weeks everything hurt. knees,groin,lower back etc. My confidence was down feeling sore into my workouts I had concern for injury. The last 2 days have felt great though.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
3 weeks of daily squats and i got the flu. Reluctantly took 10 days off and got back into it today. My strength has surprisingly skyrocketed in the down time. 285 feels like 220. Had to double check I'd loaded the bar correctly. Anyway it's back to the plan. Good times ahead.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
3 weeks of daily squats and i got the flu. Reluctantly took 10 days off and got back into it today. My strength has surprisingly skyrocketed in the down time. 285 feels like 220. Had to double check I'd loaded the bar correctly. Anyway it's back to the plan. Good times ahead.
Lowered immune system is a sign of overtraining. Ever think of doing squats ever 3 days or something?

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
The predecessor of the NBA Live series was the NBA Playoffs series, which featured Lakers vs. Celtics, released first in 1989 for MS-DOS-compatible PCs and later adapted for consoles in early 1990 for the Sega Mega Drive. This game was played from a horizontal view (while later versions moved to an isometric view before ultimately moving to 3D on newer consoles). The game was one of the first to feature an NBA license, containing both real NBA teams and player likenesses and signature moves. Details such as Horace Grants goggles are clearly visible, and Michael Jordans "Air Reverse Layup" is animated with very high accuracy NBA Live Coins . Player numbers were also visible. The game featured only eight of the sixteen teams that qualified for the NBA playoffs that year, as well as both NBA All-Star teams.
2K better tho

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I am very intrigued. Subbed.

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a fan of this idea. I once rotated every week by hitting the same body part every day, then the next week a different one. so for example i would throw in a few chest exercises with each day's workout, the next week i would do legs every day. it's something different and i think it works

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Definitely keep us updated! I may need to try this. My squat has always sucked. Probably due to my bird leg genetics, but still...

Heavychevss

Awards
Input from an old fart-
The above shows that your body was needing some recovery. How about 2 days off every two weeks or some interval of rest/recovery.
I'm old school and would think unless you throw in heavier work your current max will be heavier than now. My best squat at a 230lb bw was low 600's, when going through a high rep phase I worked up to 20+ reps with 405 and it didn't make the 550-600 range any easier or lighter. Training and nutrition has improved in the last 20 yrs so hopefully you do better.

Good luck and throw in some rest ?