Squat Briefs

Alderslodge

Awards
Hey guys,
I just recently ordered my first pair of squat briefs, they are Inzer HB Groove Briefs, and they are a bitch to get on. However, the main problem that I have is that when I squat down with them, they cause EXTREME pain in my hip flexors area. I know they are supposed to be tight and all, but are they not supposed to let me get down to parallel or lower without feeling like my legs will be ripped off??
Any thoughts and/or advice are taken with extreme thanks.
Alderslodge =)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
That's pretty much par for the course with those things. In my opinion, the groove briefs suck because they give almost no support and they're extremely uncomfortable. I've tried many of the briefs on the market, so if you tell me why you are wearing the briefs and what you are trying to accomplish, I can give you some better options than the groove briefs.

Alderslodge

Awards
Ok, I'm looking to getting into competitions within the next 6 months, but I won't do so unless iI feel that all my lifts are good for my weight/age.
As of now I'm 17, 18 in March, weigh about 185ish, and my max lifts thus far are approximately 435lb squat, 325lb bench, and 485 deadlift. All done raw.
I realize now that it was a stupid to get briefs without additional leg support, but I don't know what good and what is complete trash.
I would like to have a 500 squat, 405 bench, and a 535 deadlift, if all done equipped.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
What's the best way to get your lifts up to that level? Westside.

There is no better way to train than the conjugate method.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Are you planning on competing in multi-ply organizations or doing a single ply meet? Most single ply federations don't allow regular briefs, so if you are going to do that then you might as well get a SQ suit and start getting used to it.
If you plan on doing multi-ply you could start with Metal Pro briefs or get a Metal pro squatter for a suit. Both are relatively easy to use (compared to other multi-ply equipment). You may want to do your first meet in just a SQ suit and then add briefs at some point later. It's takes some time to get used to squatting in briefs and a suit so you may want to phase into that gradually.
Also, don't wait on some imaginary numbers to go and compete. You're ready right now. At your first meet, just go and get a total in. Then you have something to try and beat the next time out.
Edit: Overall the Metal equipment is all generally good. The titan equipment is also good, just get the newest generation of material. The only inzer stuff I really like are the predator briefs and canvas squat suit.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I love the Metal Ace Briefs. I started with the Metal Pro Briefs and then switched to the Ace. I tried Titan's brief, and I prefer the Metal Ace much more. I'm a big fan of the canvas squat suit by Franz. The support it gives is incredible. Like SRS suggested, start out with the Metal Pro Briefs and work your way into heavier/stronger gear. And don't wait for x-squat, x-bench, and x-deadlift. Just go do it. You have to start somewhere. Sure you are always lifting against other guys in your weight class, but your main competition is yourself. This will give you something to strive to beat at your next meet, and will help motivate you during your training. What I've done at a meet has always motivated me much more than what I've ever lifted in the gym.

Edit: And as far as comfort goes, if gear fits as it should, there is nothing pleasant or comfortable about it. I have scars on my legs from my briefs and squat suit. If you can get it on, it isn't too tight.

Alderslodge

Awards
Thanks for the help and advice guys, I know that I can;t wait for the numbers that I listed, but I just set those as guide doable guideline for the future. I'll look into the Metal Pro briefs!
And to kingk0ng; I'm doing a Westside type method. =) lol

Thanks a lot guys!

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Your hip flexors are probably weak and you likely are letting the briefs control you instead of the other way around.

Recommendations:

Ultra wide sumo Dl sets of no less than 5 for aux.

using bands to work out the hip joint ( see Scott yards article on Elite Fts)

Stretch the hip flexors prior to training

deep warm up squats before putting on the briefs

walker11

Awards
if this is your first time in gear, then i would go with Titan single ply gear. Metal gear is good, but imo Titan makes the best 1 ply squat gear on the market, especialy the Centurion squat suit.