Squat advice for someone who has reconstructed feet and has never had arches before.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I've had surgery on both feet. The doctor fused the transverse tarsal joint in both feet. So now I still don't have pronounced arches, but I do have a slight arch in my feet now. You can see the arches more on x-rays, as my feet still look flat but now my knees naturally point outward, instead of pointing in. Anyway, I need to learn to squat again. I'm looking for the best exercises that I can use for my body to re-learn the squat potion and strengthen the small muscles. The doctor told me I need to workout and walk in order to reduce swelling in my feet. He actually told me to go and lift. Also I did some body weight box squats today and my knees felt tight. I put on knee sleeves and that actually made my left knee hurt.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More body weight squats. Get those tendons moving

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe lots of banded leg curls too

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More body weight squats. Get those tendons moving
Any advice on the knee stiffness? I'm taking cissus and have opted not to take Omega 3s just to save some money. I eat fish literally almost everyday.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any advice on the knee stiffness? I'm taking cissus and have opted not to take Omega 3s just to save some money. I eat fish literally almost everyday.
I would think they will loosen up in time. Doing a hundred or more BW squats a day, spread out, should eventually make your knee mobility way better.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Work on improving internal and external femoral hip rotation. And bw squats with band around ur thighs to cue external rotation

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I definitely think bodyweight squats if various forms would be your best starting point...add the bands to add resistance and then move to the weights. The stiffness is probably from not using them much. It should improve over time as RegisterJr said.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Get in a pool and do squats with weights over your head. The weight on your joints will decrease as you get lower into the water and increase as you come out, so you can find a weight that's comfortable and adjust the depth of water as needed

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
But also this puts less strain in the deeper portion of the squat and let's the weight increase towards the more extended portion. It's like reverse band work

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did you go to Pt?