Spiking Insulin

FAMOUSX1

Awards
So after all the bs about waxy maize I have been reading about I have decided to go with just good ole Dextrose. I plan on mixing it with .5 to 1. cup of oats and some whey.
My question is how much dextrose is needed to cause a insulin spike?

MHA

Awards
  • Established
I would think that combining dex with oats would make make the oats get hit by the spike of insulin and make the oats break down faster or am I wrong?

FAMOUSX1

Awards
should I just leave the oats out and do why and dextrose then?
dextrose + oats might be to much carbs

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
I don't like insulin spiking, but the best way to do it is in the morning and post workout.

My method:
Post workout drink a soda, then drink a protein shake. To take advantage of the insulin, you'll want to take in lots of protein. The whole purpose (besides restoring glycogen) is to increase amino acid absorption in the muscles.

The same reason for sugar in creatine... To aid in the uptake.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I would think that combining dex with oats would make make the oats get hit by the spike of insulin and make the oats break down faster or am I wrong?
Not to be an ass, but what does this comment even mean?:thinking:
For the record, the level of insulin in the bloodstream has NO effect on the rate of digestion.
If anything, the dex would hit faster--"spiking" insulin--while the oats would be digested and metabolized more slowly.

UKStrength

Unless someone else can find me a paper that shows otherwise, I think the question of 'how much' carbohydrate (CHO) post exercise is yet to be determined, in terms of adaptations to resistance training.

From the literature the major consensus seems to be that co-ingestion of some form of carbohydrate (low or high glycaemic index) with protein is needed to elicit the greatest effect on protein synthesis and protein degradation in the post-exercise period.

The ingestion of carbohydrate doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of fat oxidation in the post exercise period either, as the combined hypoglycaemic effect of spiking insulin and enhanced insulin sensitivity of muscle tissue from training leads to a an increase in GH and AMP-activated protein kinase promoting fat oxidation and decreasing glycerolipid synthesis (Bird et al. 2006, Ruderman et al. 2003).

So in essence, for us bodybuilders who don't really fit into the neat category of strength and power athletes in terms of IOC recommended carbohydrate supplementation (3-5gCHO/kg/BW) and just want to take advantage of the anabolic effect of insulin post-exercise (not necessarily worried about glycogen re-synthesis rates)...

...if you are eating again soon after training (1-2 hours max), I would add at least the same quantity of dextrose powder as protein to your shake (some advise double that) and eat the oats as part of your next meal. Especially if you're using other supplements such as creatine monohydrate, the high glycaemic index CHO will shuttle the creatine into the muscle tissue faster.

So for you, one scoop of whey (~25g protein) you need about 25g dextrose powder.

If your pre-workout and intra-workout nutrition is sufficient, then there's unlikely to be a need for much more carbohydrate than that.

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Unless someone else can find me a paper that shows otherwise, I think the question of 'how much' carbohydrate (CHO) post exercise is yet to be determined, in terms of adaptations to resistance training.

From the literature the major consensus seems to be that co-ingestion of some form of carbohydrate (low or high glycaemic index) with protein is needed to elicit the greatest effect on protein synthesis and protein degradation in the post-exercise period.

The ingestion of carbohydrate doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of fat oxidation in the post exercise period either, as the combined hypoglycaemic effect of spiking insulin and enhanced insulin sensitivity of muscle tissue from training leads to a an increase in GH and AMP-activated protein kinase promoting fat oxidation and decreasing glycerolipid synthesis (Bird et al. 2006, Ruderman et al. 2003).

So in essence, for us bodybuilders who don't really fit into the neat category of strength and power athletes in terms of IOC recommended carbohydrate supplementation (3-5gCHO/kg/BW) and just want to take advantage of the anabolic effect of insulin post-exercise (not necessarily worried about glycogen re-synthesis rates)...

...if you are eating again soon after training (1-2 hours max), I would add at least the same quantity of dextrose powder as protein to your shake (some advise double that) and eat the oats as part of your next meal. Especially if you're using other supplements such as creatine monohydrate, the high glycaemic index CHO will shuttle the creatine into the muscle tissue faster.

So for you, one scoop of whey (~25g protein) you need about 25g dextrose powder.

If your pre-workout and intra-workout nutrition is sufficient, then there's unlikely to be a need for much more carbohydrate than that.

Great post, cant really add anything of note, but one thing I do, it doesnt mean its right but it works for me, is i take honey in a jar to the gym, and i take 3 spoons 15 minutes before the end of the workout, and 15grams of dextrose in fruit juice, then as soon as ive finished training i already have the insulin spike fully at work, so when i take my creatine, my protein, and some quick and slow release sugars "carbs" 100 grams oats and 20 grams dextrose, works perfectly. Everything gets shuttled into the muscles, no bloat, no water retention, just swollen muscles. I do however then make a protein shake with 60 grams protein, and sip it for the next hour after my post training carb and protein drink.

UKStrength

Great post, cant really add anything of note, but one thing I do, it doesnt mean its right but it works for me, is i take honey in a jar to the gym, and i take 3 spoons 15 minutes before the end of the workout, and 15grams of dextrose in fruit juice, then as soon as ive finished training i already have the insulin spike fully at work, so when i take my creatine, my protein, and some quick and slow release sugars "carbs" 100 grams oats and 20 grams dextrose, works perfectly. Everything gets shuttled into the muscles, no bloat, no water retention, just swollen muscles. I do however then make a protein shake with 60 grams protein, and sip it for the next hour after my post training carb and protein drink.
Interesting you mentioned the honey mate, Kreider and colleagues (2007) looked at different sources of CHO on markers of anabolism, catabolism and immunity after resistance training.

They found that honey powder maintain blood glucose levels better than any of the other sources of CHO (sucrose and maltodextrin) during training (probably due to the fructose in the honey maintaining liver glycogenesis), so during extended training periods (>1hr) and there was no difference in the insulin response post training between sources.

Therefore, I'd definitely go with the fructose source of carbs to maintain that blood glucose during training and promote max performance, as the insulinaemic (and therefore anabolic effect) is the same post workout.