Soya protein and whey mix makes best pre-workout shake

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Soya protein and whey mix makes best pre-workout shake

Designers of protein preparations for athletes should combine soya proteins with dairy proteins, says Gregory Paul in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition. Paul, who is also linked to the soya producer Solae, thinks it’s the combination of whey and soya proteins that’s particularly interesting.

During and after intensive exertion muscle cells need amino acids to recover and gain strength. There are two amino acids that they need in big quantities: arginine and leucine, the structures of which are both shown here. Arginine promotes the production of the ‘good free radical’ NO, which helps stem cells grow into muscle cells and stimulates the production of growth hormone and IGF-1. Leucine gives muscle cells’ anabolic machinery a boost.

Whey contains lots of leucine, and soya protein contains lots of arginine. That’s the reasoning behind Paul’s proposition.

So far researchers have concentrated on the differences in effects between whey and soya protein in trials. These show that strength athletes progress equally well whether they use whey or soya protein shakes in combination with training. Whey shakes come out of the trials a tiny bit better, but the difference is not statistically significant.

One argument you hear frequently against soya protein is that it lowers testosterone levels. According to Paul there are studies that show that this fear is ungrounded

Casein is not suitable for use just before or after training as it enters the blood too slowly. But adding casein to whey and soya protein would help supply more amino acids to trained muscles for up to a few hours after intake.

"Protein blends should be a fruitful area for future research", writes Paul in conclusion. To be honest though, our thoughts have taken us in a different direction. Wouldn’t it be better to combine whey with a hefty dose of arginine? Or soya protein with leucine?

The Rationale for Consuming Protein Blends in Sports Nutrition -- Paul 28 (41): 464S -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
leave side the fact that researcher is link to soya protein busniess, I think it's reasonable to combine them because soya protein is especially rich in glutamine while whey rich in BCAA.

Although some people think soya isoflavon might work like estrogen however in fact it can be anti-estrogen when your estrogen is too high. Also it might help epi/AI caused joint dryness.

The final but not the least, it's much cheaper.

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
leave side the fact that researcher is link to soya protein busniess,
You can never do that, otherwise they leave out details like:

"Estradiol was significantly lower in the whey blend group(-9.1 +/- 8.7 pg/ml, p = 0.033)"

not to mention the other studies were also sponsored by Solae. Researchers can be paid to come to a certain conclusion(like what they consider to be statistically significant or not), which is why you need to read the entire study yourself.

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
You can never do that, otherwise they leave out details like:

"Estradiol was significantly lower in the whey blend group(-9.1 +/- 8.7 pg/ml, p = 0.033)"

not to mention the other studies were also sponsored by Solae. Researchers can be paid to come to a certain conclusion(like what they consider to be statistically significant or not), which is why you need to read the entire study yourself.
I think 'leave aside' doesn't mean i agree with their study. My comment on soy protein base on my other readings.

However I can't see the point to 'keep away from soy'.
Never heard any gyno or hormone problem from soy when Chinese/Japanese/Korean males having various kind of soya products everyday in different ages. It just the main protein source in eastern asia. The processed soy products (Miso, soysouce etc) make the isoflavon even more bioavaliable. Yes, we chinese are genetically different from you white guys, but i doubt that will make soy protein dangerous for you. (gyno is never a Chinese restaurant syndrome)

Finally, all studies sponsored or made by a company is doubtful; but in different degree. That's why I think you are right saying that we need to read it carefully...but at least it's much better than many 'research' made by supplements companies, when people here willingly believe those advertisement like research and spend money.

For the safety and effect on soy, there are tons of independent studies in different languages (lots in asian language). My impression on soy product is positive, same as my personal experience. :)

To be honest, I think the fact that bodybuilding supplement busniess has less soy protein product itself is a busniess concern. Selling more expensive whey/casein/egg protein is more benefitial for companies.