Solo or with a partner?

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Working out I mean. Do you train alone or do you have a gym partner?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I train alone. There are people around if I need a spot though.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm alone. Back in my sports playing days always had a partner but now riding solo. I liked having a partner but honestly now I don't have enough time in the gym for one. Will ask for a spot if needed though

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I'm alone. Back in my sports playing days always had a partner but now riding solo. I liked having a partner but honestly now I don't have enough time in the gym for one. Will ask for a spot if needed though
I love working out alone. It allows me to stay focused and avoid distraction. Sometimes though I feel like a partner would help push me. We all have days where we grind but probably not as hard as we should because we don't feel it.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I love working out alone. It allows me to stay focused and avoid distraction. Sometimes though I feel like a partner would help push me. We all have days where we grind but probably not as hard as we should because we don't feel it.
I do the same. Pop in some good tunes and I have no problem getting motivated

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Solo here. Totally agree with you though about that extra push... also, its nice to have that comfort blanket of a spotter if needed. Mostly though, gym time is me time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both for me. Twice a week is pretty much solo and twice is with a group. Solo days are generally OHP and deadlift based while the group days are squat and bench based.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Solo as well. I am a talker and the last thing I need is a partner to encourage talkie time. haha I get a spot when I need one.

jerisonross

jerisonross

Awards
I try to train with someone stronger than me. Other than that I lift alone too, Its just therapy

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Solo. I want to be in and out and not spend all my time in the gym. Plus I like super setting all my workouts and don't have time to swap weights with a partner. Don't do a lot of bench pressing so no need for a spotter.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Oh... from the title I thought this was about something else, I guess I will be on my way then. haha

I train alone, but I do feel like when I have a buddy come train with me I do better. None of my friends are at the strength level that I am, not that I am super strong, but there is a significant enough of a difference that it is not really feasible to change out the weights during their/my rests. It ends up being they do all of their sets then I do all of mine and it can make it time consuming.

I only recently considered trying to lift with a girlfriend, but besides the same problem with my friends I am definitely more gross when I am lifting. As in more gassy and as we all know with heavy deadlifts or squats and some good ol' fashion pre-workout in ya there can be some squirt scares I really would not want to share with her. haha

Scheduling makes it difficult too, but overall I would say lifting with a partner, at least every once in a while, is great.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I love working out solo on a regular basis. Then once every few months I meet up with some friends from a different city to gauge progress and extra push.

Around the home gym you start knowing everyone so it feels like you never lift solo anymore.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solo. No one will get up at 4 am with me. Would be nice to have some outside motivation rhough

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
Fine. I'll be the first to say I lift with my wife. Yeah you heard me. Lol.

She is one of the only females in my gym that spends more time moving weights than doing cardio or circuit training. She is the chick that guys watch doing shoulder presses and say "daaamn" for a couple of reasons. When she does bent over rows, I stand behind her so some poor guy doesn't trip over a bench and hurt himself, not to mention, I find the view "motivating" to say the least. If I need a spot, she can do as good of a job as anyone else in the place. We both wear headphones, so focus isn't an issue. She definitely motivates me more than if I lifted solo. I mean nobody wants to miss a rep when a chick is watching.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep i'm a train alone guy as well. Unless someone is extremely close to all my lifts then wouldnt want to train with them. So i guess the only person that could be my workout partner is Ronnie Coleman;) haha jk

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Fine. I'll be the first to say I lift with my wife. Yeah you heard me. Lol.

She is one of the only females in my gym that spends more time moving weights than doing cardio or circuit training. She is the chick that guys watch doing shoulder presses and say "daaamn" for a couple of reasons. When she does bent over rows, I stand behind her so some poor guy doesn't trip over a bench and hurt himself, not to mention, I find the view "motivating" to say the least. If I need a spot, she can do as good of a job as anyone else in the place. We both wear headphones, so focus isn't an issue. She definitely motivates me more than if I lifted solo. I mean nobody wants to miss a rep when a chick is watching.
I lifted with my GF all the time until one of her friends started coming to the gym too. Now they workout together and I fly solo. She pulls a 185 lb deadlift and squats 135. She does a similar routine to me minus a lot of the assistance lifts. She even finishes with farmer's walks carrying a 45 lb plate in each hand. Lately i've been using the Hammer Strength machines for bench so I don't need a spotter but she is definitely capable of spotting me.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Solo. Like everyone else said it is great to have a workout partner though. I remember I had this one guy helping me out at the gym a year back and after my workout I was sore as hell. Because I could go the extra yard and still be safe.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i do both depending on the day of the week. i also train at 2 different gyms and have a home gym.