So after 8 months on TRT with difficult absorbtion

LeonLeon83

Awards
I started out with half a tube of testim 50 mg. After first blood levels my doctor said my numbers were still really low. So for the past 3 months I've taken a full tube. Now I just got a letter from my doctor again that my numbers are still really low and she think I might not be able to absorb it as well as others. So she is suggesting a special injection every 3 months. Some sort of longevity injection.

Now I feel like I've heard about this before? and heard people talking about how it is not a good solution because you spike very high on T early on, and then it drops dramatically towards the end before the next shot.

I really think if they had something so I could just inject myself twice a week it would be no problem.

Anyways! What are your thoughts?

Mesomorphin

Awards
I had similar issues with Androgel, but it took me a long time to convince my doc to give up on topics. Ultimately, I shifted to injections and it has proven much better for me. I have heard about the long term injection but I don't know what kind of feedback it has gotten, or if some folks have had problems with it. I'm not needle phobic and self inject, and it seems to me that this leaves more room for fine tuning adjustments based on individual response. That said, the long term approach may work out just fine for you.

LeonLeon83

Awards
I doubt I would have any problems injecting myself either. I have no fear of needles. Maybe I should suggest my TRT doctor this solution? She hasn't even brought it up as a possibility. So not even sure if it's common practice here. But I might as well ask her about it.

Btw how many times a week do you inject?

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Yes do your own shots trying test C I do my shots E3D subQ into my belly fat my T numbers are always up into the upper 1/3 of my labs range. Been at this over 35 yrs. And the shots E3D works the best for me.

LeonLeon83

Awards
Yes do your own shots trying test C I do my shots E3D subQ into my belly fat my T numbers are always up into the upper 1/3 of my labs range. Been at this over 35 yrs. And the shots E3D works the best for me.
How many times a week do you do it? twice?

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Shots every 3 months don't work very good it's had to tell when you need more some only last 4 weeks.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Injections are the way to go if you can. I used 100mg a week for years until suddenly I could no longer control hematocrit with only scheduled blood donations. The high peaks can catch up to you after years.

I switched back to a topical. What you can try with a topical is to have her or another doctor work with a compounding pharmacy utilizing a much higher dosed topical. It will be much cheaper as well. There is a chance this will work well for you. The thing to watch on the topical is the conversion to DHT. You get a much higher 5alpha reductase conversion when absorbing through the skin barrier.

I am considering a new protocol being used by some of the more cutting edge docs. They are using a protocol of 80mg test cyp per week split into 3 doses sub q. Patients report feeling better than on 100 or more. I am trying to see if there is any data that would support leveling of the peaks helping mitigate hematocrit levels as well.