Snatch Grip Rack Pulls/RDL's for upper back

siske1995

Awards
Hey guys, got a question for you all.

Been wanting to do Rack Pulls for my upper back, when doing fullbody workouts and changing my RDL to Snatch Grip RDL's my upper back blew up. Problem is, I never got to Rack Pull correctly without lower back pain. Mid-shin, below the knee, at the knee, above the knee, everything. Found one where I pulled from about 2 inches above the knee and that felt good, to put into contrast, I could pull 160kg easily with a snatch grip from this position, but 60kg from a lower pin hurts my back instantly. I found out this was due to not being able to load my hamstrings on the movement. With the above the knee one, I could bend my knees more, letting me pull painless.

I'm doing this for mid-upper back hypertrophy and strength by the way, not powerlifting or anything like that. Now, I can pull 130kg RDL's with my back horizontal to the floor and even pausing at my last rep without any discomfort, pain or soreness. No pump, nothing. Yet pulling from the rack always hurts, I can't nail form down and the above the knee version is too tedious to load up and too little ROM for me. Gym doesn't have a lot of plates anways.

When I switched to Snatch Grip RDL's, my best with good form was about 80-90kg's before I hit failure. Given I can pull 130kg with a normal RDL and my upper back soreness back then, I know my hamstrings are way stronger and my upper back still gets the overload. Would it be a good thing to just pull Snatch Grip RDL's for upper back developement? (Lats, Teres Major, Rhomboids, Whole Traps and Spinal Erectors). As I cannot pull from a deadstop on a rack? (Semi Sumo I can because I can load my hamstrings).

Thanks in advance, probably know the answer to my question, just wanted to hear opinions!

siske1995

Awards
Bump and adding something;

Tried reverse band Snatch Grip RDL's, felt I did 150kg for A 5RM with a green and yellow band from my gym, felt great! Never held that much weight with a snatch grip, that's almost double from before. Going to keep the weight a bit lower and really focus on arching my upper back and pulling the bar into my thighs. Curious if my upper back will be sore tomorrow, haha!

CJNator

Awards
Why not just do deadlifts or deficit deadlifts? That's all I do including weighted chin ups.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Read up on breathing and bracing the abs/core/trunk and it will protect your lower back. You have to be very tight throughout the body before the bar starts moving on rack pulls or your body will cave.

Also, try setting up like this to put your back in a better position and load the hamstrings:

https://youtu.be/gjWELkpGtdI

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Herder you just like posting that video and letting the forum see your bod

siske1995

Awards
Thanks for the replies guys! Nice bod though