Smelling Salts

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone use these? What brand do ya like?

Seem to popular before a heavy lift.

Curious if it really can help hit a pr or make some strength progress...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Data shows that salts don't benefit maximal strength. However, if it heightens your arousal and/or you're a hype lifter, then it can help you out in that way.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
A lot of old school bodybuilders used to crack open an amp of ammonia before hitting squats or the bench to give them a boost before hitting the rack to try and get a maximum benefit of the lift. However, further research has shown that smelling salts can be damaging neurologically and overuse can cause problem. Having said that, I'd like to try it just to see how it works and if you can keep them to a minimum (like when you're trying to hit more pounds or the last set you're doing) you'd probably be okay.

But, if you're doing it when you increase the weight, you can lift it and not feel the pain that could be from excessive weight. So, there are some pros and cons. You can still buy them online but I recommend limiting their usage extremely.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@StarScream66 thanks for the info...there’s a big market for these...some are bottles you add water too and some are the capsules you mentioned. They are ‘hardcore themed’ like supplements...Have a look on amazon.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
@StarScream66 thanks for the info...there’s a big market for these...some are bottles you add water too and some are the capsules you mentioned. They are ‘hardcore themed’ like supplements...Have a look on amazon.
I always imagine a bodybuilder about to hit the squat rack, puts his wrist strap and belt on pours chalk all over his hands, cracks an ampule of ammonia and just starts hitting that squat rack so hard you can see the veins in his neck pop out, and when he's done, he grabs his gallon jug of water and takes a big swig.

They probably wouldn't allow that in most gyms - the chalk, the ammonia, the jug, etc. But that's my ideal bodybuilder.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
^^ that’s a regular scenario now at every commercial golds I’ve been too in the past 8 years

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I got some as a freebie on an Enhanced Athlete order a few years ago. They’re cool but really just a gimmick.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep, used throughout Powerlifting and Strongman - there is a reason they use it. I am a powerlifter and let me tell you - I lift more when using it; however, I only use it on max lifts for one session every few weeks.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
️ Wow...I went with, what’s probably an intermediate level strength, capsule product.

I broke the capsule and stored it in a vitamin bottle.

I was able to sniff it in the parking lot, locker room and a couple times throughout a lower body (+some overhead press) session, Tuesday night...Hit some ‘post-lockdown’ PR’s...Can’t wait to rock this when my strength really picks up....2 thumbs up

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We sell a ton at the shop. I don't train at the large local gym but I can only immagine some of these guys must be using it for damn near every set based on the quantity they buy lol.

Insane Labz wins the naming contest hands down with: WAKE THE DEAD

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nose torque hands down best I have used. I cracked a fresh bottle before my 2nd squat attempt at my first PL meet and was knocked on my ass. Tears pouring from my eyes while I squatted

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 7
ethan_wilde Supplements 7
ethan_wilde Supplements 9
Powerlifting/Strongman 6