Slow vs fast acting insulin!

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Definitely a subject I’m not scared to say I ain’t super knowledgeable... insulin! I’m in 8 weeks off (chill the body out) and cutting at the same time and may 10 I’ll be back on and my coach and I Thought it was time for some insulin. Now I can’t get my mind straight on fast vs slow. Some people swear by slow some people say fast is the way to go... fast acting pre workout and post workout seems the most logical to ME.. But my coach thinks I should do slow acting since it’s more manageable. From my understanding though slow acting comes with greater risks of ruining your own insulin production? Anyways if anyone is willing to share knowledge!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Definitely a subject I’m not scared to say I ain’t super knowledgeable... insulin! I’m in 8 weeks off (chill the body out) and cutting at the same time and may 10 I’ll be back on and my coach and I Thought it was time for some insulin. Now I can’t get my mind straight on fast vs slow. Some people swear by slow some people say fast is the way to go... fast acting pre workout and post workout seems the most logical to ME.. But my coach thinks I should do slow acting since it’s more manageable. From my understanding though slow acting comes with greater risks of ruining your own insulin production? Anyways if anyone is willing to share knowledge!
not something I’ve used (yet) bro...... did read up on it a while back and my understanding was very much that unless your goal is pure muscle gain (and you accept fat gain) then you want fast immediately post workout (and/or pwo if then using a high carb peri workout drink).

basically in the same way t3 is indiscriminate about what it burns, insulin is indiscriminate on whether it stores glycogen in muscle for adipose tissue.

my believe was that for extreme body recomp goals then you spike it around that post workout window but keep low/controlled the rest of the day through manipulation of carbohydrate intake.

i guess by ‘easier to manage’ your coach means ‘less likely to kill you’ ..... one of the other reasons I’ve stayed clear is just that clear issue that if you do get it wrong people have died in the past (obviously have some fat acting carb sources to hand and preferably someone else with you).

gonna tag in @Matthersby just because I thought (maybe incorrectly) he’s used slin quite a lot before

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
He’s definitely used Lantus; search his logs on here.

Never used any, but what I’ve heard said by some is essentially that unless you are a true hardgainer type that just needs the storage even if fat gain happens, basal insulin is not great for bodybuilding. So unless you needed 4,500+ calories per day to grow from 150 to 155 in highschool, this probably isn’t for you.

I have heard Colette Nelson discuss some great points on using it to give your pancreas a break actually if you would like to do some listening/watching.

A few ius pre/post paired with the nutrition you would already have been consuming seems to be the normal fast protocol. If you are routinely overconsuming extra food/sugar to cover larger doses, you are missing the point and probably going to get fatter than you wanted.

I have heard some coaches say they don’t like any use because it tends to give guys a false sense of size and strength that won’t be there when it’s time to prep.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve talked to quite a few people since yesterday and apparently you’re dead on.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
He’s definitely used Lantus; search his logs on here.

Never used any, but what I’ve heard said by some is essentially that unless you are a true hardgainer type that just needs the storage even if fat gain happens, basal insulin is not great for bodybuilding. So unless you needed 4,500+ calories per day to grow from 150 to 155 in highschool, this probably isn’t for you.

I have heard Colette Nelson discuss some great points on using it to give your pancreas a break actually if you would like to do some listening/watching.

A few ius pre/post paired with the nutrition you would already have been consuming seems to be the normal fast protocol. If you are routinely overconsuming extra food/sugar to cover larger doses, you are missing the point and probably going to get fatter than you wanted.

I have heard some coaches say they don’t like any use because it tends to give guys a false sense of size and strength that won’t be there when it’s time to prep.
Yeah that’s kinda what a private coach that a hired for an hour meeting told me. Basically said overall almost anyone should do fast acting. Told me also the idea that insulin gets you fat on fast acting is mostly fast and due to poor understanding or timing and BG management. Told me just like hgh it’s not as good as some people make it up to be BUT that it’s an amazing tool when used properly. I’ll spend couple hundreds for his classes on the subject because that bg management and timing / food selection seems more complicated than I thought.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think slow acting carries all kinds of risk.

Brb going to sleep with that sh1t building up inside me 😁 coma waiting to happen