Slightly elevated SHGB

Jay_b1985

Awards
Hi All,

I'll get straight to the point. I did an epi cycle 8 months or so ago and followed up with bloods etc which showed I had recovered which was great.

I have a had an issue with libido being a bit low which to be fair was a little low before I did the epi cycle anyway but came back with a bang once I finished the clomid on PCT. After a couple weeks once clomid had left my body I noticed the libido drop again.

Anyway that was several months ago and my doc sent me for a few tests just to check my test, free test, E2 and SHBG and they came back as the following:

Total T: 25.4 n/mol - which is great considering I am 31 years of age and my baseline before the cycle was 18 or 19 I think
Free T: 0.384 n/mol (range is 0.300 - 1) - normal but maybe on lowerish or normal
E2: 105 p/mol (range is 44-156) which again is good and within normal range
SHBG: 59.7 n/mol (range is 16-55) - as you can see it is slightly elevated

The notes on the bloodwork was "SHBG is slightly elevated but other hormones are good and within range".

Now I have sat down today with another GP and explained that I think my SHBG should be lower which would mean my free test should be a little higher. He wasn't too convinced but agreed to get another SHBG sample done to double check and check my liver (which was done after my epi cycle along with thyroid function and both came back normal). I have also been sent to get my LH/LSH levels tested too just to ensure everything is ticking over which I suspect it is when my total test is a good number 8 months after cycle. The GP doesn't know about the epi cycle as in the UK the doctors will not do anything for you so had to play dumb haha.

What do you guys think ? Nothing to worry about? or do you think it contributes to a lowered libido?

In terms of training etc, I had a few months out due to a back injury but I have been back training and my strength and mass in increasing week on week so I dont think there is too much wrong.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
I'd personally take some exemestane 12.5mg once a week.. drops SHBG real quick and dropping estrogen a bit may help now again once a week wont crush estrogen which you dont want.. also grab a good long jack extract as it lower SHBG aswell. I'd definitely suspect SHBG aswell!

Jay_b1985

Awards
I'd personally take some exemestane 12.5mg once a week.. drops SHBG real quick and dropping estrogen a bit may help now again once a week wont crush estrogen which you dont want.. also grab a good long jack extract as it lower SHBG aswell. I'd definitely suspect SHBG aswell!
Thanks for your input but arimidex Even though my estrogen is at a decent level?

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
Nope exemestane.. exemestane lowers SHBG the most out of all AI's and it's suicidal and that's why i said 12.5mg once a week... its a low dose and once a week just for SHBG lowering.

Jay_b1985

Awards
Nope exemestane.. exemestane lowers SHBG the most out of all AI's and it's suicidal and that's why i said 12.5mg once a week... its a low dose and once a week just for SHBG lowering.
Hmm ok. Not sure my guy has that available so not sure where I could get some. Long jack extract? Is that tongkat Ali?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd talk with an Endo, there could be other factors that we don't know about yet. And they might give you the hookups too ;)

Jay_b1985

Awards
I'd talk with an Endo, there could be other factors that we don't know about yet. And they might give you the hookups too ;)
Yeah I did want to go to an endo but I have to get referred by a GP and they need to be convinced there's an issue before that happens. The NHS is great overall but trying to get to see a consultant when the GP doesn't agree is a nightmare

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I did want to go to an endo but I have to get referred by a GP and they need to be convinced there's an issue before that happens. The NHS is great overall but trying to get to see a consultant when the GP doesn't agree is a nightmare
Didn't even think about the referral part....

Jay_b1985

Awards
I've got a bottle of activate xtreme which I've started. It's got stinging nettle in...you reckon after a couple weeks it'll improve?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah since it's only slightly elevated I don't think there's enough cause for concern. You could try an AI to help but I'm not sure how long your levels will stay lowered if you stop taking it

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
I've got a bottle of activate xtreme which I've started. It's got stinging nettle in...you reckon after a couple weeks it'll improve?
i mean with SHBG that high.. it's not even reference range high.. it's out of the reference range which is nuts... i'd go pharmaceutical, where you from that your source doesnt carry exem?

Jay_b1985

Awards
i mean with SHBG that high.. it's not even reference range high.. it's out of the reference range which is nuts... i'd go pharmaceutical, where you from that your source doesnt carry exem?
According to U.K. guidelines it's only just above reference therefore not too much to worry about but like I said, I said to GP that I think it needs to be lower. Nope just asked him and said does have any at the moment. He usually has everything...usually

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
Yeah since it's only slightly elevated I don't think there's enough cause for concern. You could try an AI to help but I'm not sure how long your levels will stay lowered if you stop taking it
?? slightly elevated... high is considered high at 50 WHICH IS IN REFERENCE RANGE.. his is above reference range... by nearly 5 points? Do you not understand the high end of the reference range is bad...being out side of the reference range is even worse? I'd never settle with SHBG that high.. the common magic number is 30-35.... can we please not give advice just to answer and divulge meaningful information please? Exemestane is your best bet and it'll have the longest lasting results. Unless you want to try a DHT based steroid..nothing will work better than exem.. Tangkat Ali, Exemestane, and Stinging nettle root(grab alphamax xt has both tongkat and stinging nettle at great doses) will definitely fix you right up.

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
You are aware that a 300 testosterone for a 21 year old male is medically accepted right? Even if said male feels like death? Just because it's referenced doesn't mean it's set in stone and clearly it's having an impact on you...c'mon people what happened to people with affirmative action who understood how to follow how they feel and not governmental guidelines that suck as it is.

Jay_b1985

Awards
?? slightly elevated... high is considered high at 50 WHICH IS IN REFERENCE RANGE.. his is above reference range... by nearly 5 points? Do you not understand the high end of the reference range is bad...being out side of the reference range is even worse? I'd never settle with SHBG that high.. the common magic number is 30-35.... can we please not give advice just to answer and divulge meaningful information please? Exemestane is your best bet and it'll have the longest lasting results. Unless you want to try a DHT based steroid..nothing will work better than exem.. Tangkat Ali, Exemestane, and Stinging nettle root(grab alphamax xt has both tongkat and stinging nettle at great doses) will definitely fix you right up.
Thanks for your input mate I'll try get hold of exem but in the meantime give tongkat a go!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's only slightly out of range, so to a doctor that may not be much of a concern. Since as you stated test levels of 300 are considered normal for people that are 21, what makes you think a doctor is going to refer him for levels only slightly out of range? I'm not saying it isn't bad, I'm saying that to a doctor it may not be bad enough in their eyes for a referral. An endo would say it's off but a normal doctor? I doubt it unless they find something else off. So my point is that yes it's bad but it's only slightly above normal which is all doctors care about. So I was telling him that he might not be able to get a referral because of this.

Last edited:

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
It's only slightly out of range, so to a doctor that may not be much of a concern. Since as you stated test levels of 300 are considered normal for people that are 21, what makes you think a doctor is going to refer him for levels only slightly out of range?
Please explain what that analogy was supposed to accomplish because from my point of view it did absolutely 0 to help your case and yet further prove my point.

Jay_b1985

Awards
Please explain what that analogy was supposed to accomplish because from my point of view it did absolutely 0 to help your case and yet further prove my point.
No he's got a point, in the bb world my SHBG is too high but in the world of GP's it's not an issue being slightly above reference. I do need to see an endo face to face but I can only get a referral and without that it's nearly £300 for an hour consultantation privately

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
No he's got a point, in the bb world my SHBG is too high but in the world of GP's it's not an issue being slightly above reference. I do need to see an endo face to face but I can only get a referral and without that it's nearly £300 for an hour consultantation privately
An SHBG that high means WAY more in the medical world... it could mean a histamine response meaning you have an unknown allergy.. it could mean overactive lymphocytes... there's so much more high SHBG could mean in the medical world than the BB world.. so no. His point makes sense based off of his lack of knowledge sure.. but had he proper knowledge about the mechanisms of said body functions he'd know that it is actually important. Which is why in my prior post I said.. lets not just reply to reply and spout bro science.. reply to give out meaningful information that could potentially help someone work out their situation.

Jay_b1985

Awards
An SHBG that high means WAY more in the medical world... it could mean a histamine response meaning you have an unknown allergy.. it could mean overactive lymphocytes... there's so much more high SHBG could mean in the medical world than the BB world.. so no. His point makes sense based off of his lack of knowledge sure.. but had he proper knowledge about the mechanisms of said body functions he'd know that it is actually important. Which is why in my prior post I said.. lets not just reply to reply and spout bro science.. reply to give out meaningful information that could potentially help someone work out their situation.
Point taken. I've got the results coming back next week from the second set of bloods I did today so we'll see what my doctor says. I hope there's not an underlying serious issue :S

Jay_b1985

Awards
So, I got my bloodwork back which tested liver function, thyroid, LH/FSH, e2, total test, prolactin and ALL normal and bang on right in the middle of reference ranges. However my shbg has crept up to 70 from 59. Doctor said it could be the sensitivity of the different lab as shbg does not change that much in 10 days! He does not know what is causing the high shbg as the main culprits have been tested above and all normal so he has written to an endo. I wonder what it is?
I must admit I am slightly worried :(