Sleep issues

01tj

Awards
I don't think I've ever been a very good sleeper but it seems to be getting worse. I'm pretty sure its training related and I don't want to give that up but want to try to fix some issues. One issue I've had pretty much since the beginning of my training days is my hands going numb while I sleep on my side. I've found some stretches that kind of open up the nerve that goes along/under the collar bone. When I stick with the stretches it seems to help or alleviate the problem but now I have another problem. It seems I wake up with a tension headache every morning now. These issues have gotten worse since the lock down and I would guess part of that is that I used to only be in bed around 6.5-7 hours. Now I'm in bed over 8 hours which is the most bed time I've had for a long time

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I can’t help with any of that, but what stretches help open that nerve?

01tj

Awards
I can’t help with any of that, but what stretches help open that nerve?
Straigthen and pull arm back like the traditional pec stretch then pull your head away. Bring your arm in then bring your head in. Repeat several times then reverse the order. It definitely seems to help and after a while I don't seem to have to do it as often. I may try cutting back on caffiene to see if it helps with the headaches. I'm all out of wack because of the quarentine and my sleep times may be contradicting my coffee or preworkout times.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am really reaching here, admittedly, because some of your symptoms seem to be things I can't directly help with.

But, I will tell you that giving up caffeine (and any other stims) almost entirely has had a huge impact on the quality of my life. I stopped altogether for about 6 months last year. During January of this year I started using caffeine again because my workload became way too much to handle. I managed to kind of stop it again at the beginning of March and then with the quarantine I started drinking what I had in the house - and only have so much decaf - so I started using caffeine very sparingly.

I can tell you that if I have just a little too much caffeine now, I can lay awake at night with thoughts out of control. I will feel fine all day until I go to sleep and then I lay on my pillow and my mind starts going. It's a strange pattern and I start getting REALLY agitated and upset about things that, while they may bother me a little - aren't usually a big problem at all for me and don't hardly make me upset at all. But I will get aggravated over these thoughts to the point that my heart rate will elevate and I will be unable to relax.

And then I wake up and I'm tired and I need coffee to get going again - but it doesn't really wake me up. When I stop drinking caffeine, I start waking up EARLIER and feeling better.

Just keep in mind that the caffeine withdrawal can give you headaches too. Give it a few days to a week and see how it goes.

Also, some melatonin at night around 8 PM can help reset your circadian rhythm. It isn't a great sleep aid in the way most people think of it...but it is good for resetting the body's clock.

01tj

Awards
I ordered some decaf, hopefully that will help. I only take preworkout on my heavy squat or deadlift days so thats only two days a week and drink coffee on the other days. The biggest problem is I love coffee. I pretty much only drink water and coffee but I think it would be easier to cut out coffee.

I use melatonin sometimes but usually only before bed if I'm not feeling tired. I will try to use it earlier if I ever get back on any type of schedule.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I ordered some decaf, hopefully that will help. I only take preworkout on my heavy squat or deadlift days so thats only two days a week and drink coffee on the other days. The biggest problem is I love coffee. I pretty much only drink water and coffee but I think it would be easier to cut out coffee.

I use melatonin sometimes but usually only before bed if I'm not feeling tired. I will try to use it earlier if I ever get back on any type of schedule.
I am with you. I can drink a pot of black coffee no problem. Use the melatonin regularly for a couple weeks.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I am really reaching here, admittedly, because some of your symptoms seem to be things I can't directly help with.

But, I will tell you that giving up caffeine (and any other stims) almost entirely has had a huge impact on the quality of my life. I stopped altogether for about 6 months last year. During January of this year I started using caffeine again because my workload became way too much to handle. I managed to kind of stop it again at the beginning of March and then with the quarantine I started drinking what I had in the house - and only have so much decaf - so I started using caffeine very sparingly.

I can tell you that if I have just a little too much caffeine now, I can lay awake at night with thoughts out of control. I will feel fine all day until I go to sleep and then I lay on my pillow and my mind starts going. It's a strange pattern and I start getting REALLY agitated and upset about things that, while they may bother me a little - aren't usually a big problem at all for me and don't hardly make me upset at all. But I will get aggravated over these thoughts to the point that my heart rate will elevate and I will be unable to relax.

And then I wake up and I'm tired and I need coffee to get going again - but it doesn't really wake me up. When I stop drinking caffeine, I start waking up EARLIER and feeling better.

Just keep in mind that the caffeine withdrawal can give you headaches too. Give it a few days to a week and see how it goes.

Also, some melatonin at night around 8 PM can help reset your circadian rhythm. It isn't a great sleep aid in the way most people think of it...but it is good for resetting the body's clock.
I have cut cafeine a few times as I have sleeping problems. I have gone weeks without cafeine but it does not help me much. For me the problem is not falling asleep its about not waking up at night. I wake up often during the dreaming stage of my sleep. Falling asleep is easy.

If i use weed I sleep good, not that its a good thing to use a lot as it also adds to my cravings. So not really a solution.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Straigthen and pull arm back like the traditional pec stretch then pull your head away. Bring your arm in then bring your head in. Repeat several times then reverse the order. It definitely seems to help and after a while I don't seem to have to do it as often. I may try cutting back on caffiene to see if it helps with the headaches. I'm all out of wack because of the quarentine and my sleep times may be contradicting my coffee or preworkout times.
This is a nerve glide isn’t?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have cut cafeine a few times as I have sleeping problems. I have gone weeks without cafeine but it does not help me much. For me the problem is not falling asleep its about not waking up at night. I wake up often during the dreaming stage of my sleep. Falling asleep is easy.

If i use weed I sleep good, not that its a good thing to use a lot as it also adds to my cravings. So not really a solution.
Ok, combining this with the sleep issues I have some hail mary ideas.

Do you use ZMA? I can tell you that the thing I notice with ZMA is that it does not help me get to sleep, but nights I take it I tend to sleep better.

Magnesium and B6 actually also play a role in nerve conduction.

I would look into magnesium and the P5P form of B6.

Maybe take zma at night and a reasonable amount of p5p during the day. It won't be an overnight cure but after a few weeks on it you may start to see a difference.

01tj

Awards

Do you use ZMA? I can tell you that the thing I notice with ZMA is that it does not help me get to sleep, but nights I take it I tend to sleep better.

Maybe take zma at night and a reasonable amount of p5p during the day. It won't be an overnight cure but after a few weeks on it you may start to see a difference.

I've been using ZMA for a while and it does help. Just started 1XPM that includes GABA and it seems pretty good. I think the headaches may have been related to dark chocolate. I've noticed in the past that a lot of dark chocolate or dark chocolate on consecutive days seems to trigger a headache or even a migrane. I recently got a sample pack of Built bars, and the first day I tried one liked it so of course I tried another then had another the next day and that is when the headache started.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't think I've ever been a very good sleeper but it seems to be getting worse. I'm pretty sure its training related and I don't want to give that up but want to try to fix some issues. One issue I've had pretty much since the beginning of my training days is my hands going numb while I sleep on my side. I've found some stretches that kind of open up the nerve that goes along/under the collar bone. When I stick with the stretches it seems to help or alleviate the problem but now I have another problem. It seems I wake up with a tension headache every morning now. These issues have gotten worse since the lock down and I would guess part of that is that I used to only be in bed around 6.5-7 hours. Now I'm in bed over 8 hours which is the most bed time I've had for a long time
Have you tried iconic Formulations Dream Tea. A nice cup of tea at night and you will be sleeping like a baby. With code chef it’s 25% off which makes it around $10. Well worth it.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Have you tried iconic Formulations Dream Tea. A nice cup of tea at night and you will be sleeping like a baby. With code chef it’s 25% off which makes it around $10. Well worth it.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards

Actually i use ZMA and probably tested all other things already. I mean i read up about my sleep issues extensively and its just hard some things are almost impossible to diagnose and cure. Tried it all best sleep i get from weed (occasionally) and other stuff that knocks me out. The problem is the hangover it gives and i rather not need extra stuff.

admlite

Awards
Of all things GABA helps me most. But you need 3+ grams (heaped teaspoon).

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You could give dream tea a shot. I work an odd schedule that changes constantly. Dream tea is an easy to make tea that relaxes the body.

It can be found at https://iconicformulations.com/

With code chef get 25% off anything on the site.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You could give dream tea a shot. I work an odd schedule that changes constantly. Dream tea is an easy to make tea that relaxes the body.

It can be found at https://iconicformulations.com/

With code chef get 25% off anything on the site.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

How much did those 6 months suck?!
I would like to cut down on my stim intake but I think it would take away too much of my life quality if I did, those days I take days off stim now I’m a zombie...

OP, sorry to hijack

01tj

Awards
I'm not quite that bad but like you I really don't want to give up my coffee. I do go with days where I have less caffeine so it works better on days where I need it. I think my biggest sleep issue is the carpal tunnel in my hands. I've been researching exercises to try to get it under control. I'm a side sleeper but 15 minutes on either side and that hand goes numb.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How much did those 6 months suck?!
I would like to cut down on my stim intake but I think it would take away too much of my life quality if I did, those days I take days off stim now I’m a zombie...

OP, sorry to hijack
Honestly it was bad for about 2 days and I was fine. The weird thing is that within a week I started waking up earlier and earlier. I think the improved sleep just helped me get more energized.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have pretty severe insomnia. I recommend not taking any caffeine after 3pm, really helps me out. They say the half-life of caffeine is 5hrs. But I’ve seen numbers between 1.5 - 9.5 hours.

I have a lot of tips and tricks for helping people with severe insomnia so feel free to ask.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have pretty severe insomnia. I recommend not taking any caffeine after 3pm, really helps me out. They say the half-life of caffeine is 5hrs. But I’ve seen numbers between 1.5 - 9.5 hours.

I have a lot of tips and tricks for helping people with severe insomnia so feel free to ask.
lol, I can drink caffeine and go to bed 5 min later... I know, I have issues...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
lol, I can drink caffeine and go to bed 5 min later... I know, I have issues...
I was the same way. I literally could take a full gram of caffeine and go to sleep. But I always woke up tired.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I was the same way. I literally could take a full gram of caffeine and go to sleep. But I always woke up tired.
I was the same but things changed now i need to stop taking cafeine before i sleep. Before I could take a lot of cafeine and sleep. I did not wake up tired just woke up good.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you have tips on the Carpal tunnel issue I would love to hear them. It sucks
I just read on my clinic quickly some tips, but I’m sure you already know them.

Stretching the wrist ligaments and tendons, arimidex can cause carpal tunnel they said, compression and inflammation.

Some natural anti-flammatories: Cissus quadrangularis, turmeric, fish oil//krill oil, green tea, glucosamine and chondroitin, MSM, resveratrol.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Check out The Effortless Sleep Method on Amazon. It covers sleep habits and sleep psychology very well. I went from a few months of insomnia to 5 hours by the end of the first week. It was literally life changing.

phillip5324

Awards
Numbness often takes place due to your posture while sleeping. I often face this issue, and to resolve it, I've done some changes with my sleeping bed.

Captain_Action

Awards
I’m looking forward to getting off this Tren and this cycle so I can get back to normal. Damn...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 56
cruze1911r1 Anabolics 28
Supplements 9
Anabolics 7
Anabolics 1