Singulair (montelukast) reducing "good" inflammation (IL6, etc)?

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My doctor recently prescribed Singular to me for my allergies, as antihistamines don't seem to be doing the trick, and I was a bit confused how it works and if it's interfering with the "good" inflammation pathways in the body.

The cysteinyl leukotrienes (LTC4, LTD4, LTE4) are products of arachidonic acid metabolism and are released from various cells, including mast cells and eosinophils. These eicosanoids bind to cysteinyl leukotriene (CysLT) receptors. The CysLT type-1 (CysLT1) receptor is found in the human airway (including airway smooth muscle cells and airway macrophages) and on other pro-inflammatory cells (including eosinophils and certain myeloid stem cells). CysLTs have been correlated with the pathophysiology of asthma and allergic rhinitis. In asthma, leukotriene-mediated effects include airway edema, smooth muscle contraction, and altered cellular activity associated with the inflammatory process. In allergic rhinitis, CysLTs are released from the nasal mucosa after allergen exposure during both early-and late-phase reactions and are associated with symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

Montelukast is an orally active compound that binds with high affinity and selectivity to the CysLT1 receptor (in preference to other pharmacologically important airway receptors, such as the prostanoid, cholinergic, or β-adrenergic receptor). Montelukast inhibits physiologic actions of LTD4 at the CysLT1 receptor without any agonist activity.
Source

So, montelukast reduces inflammation markers produced via arachidonic acid, which, as we know, can create pathways of good inflammation in the body and help with muscle growth. But, does montelukast block this pathway or is it only specifically targeting the leukotrienes responsible for breathing, etc?

Here is a little background on IL6 (Interleukin 6) which is a pro inflammatory compound in the body.

So is IL-6 anabolic? It is counter-intuitive and would be premature to say that "IL-6 plays a causal role in skeletal muscle hypertrophy". This is particularly true in view of the fact that high baseline IL-6 levels that would be indicative of chronic vs. acute inflammation were "inversely correlated with fibre hypertrophy" and that IL-6 per se "is associated with both muscle protein breakdown and JAK/STAT signalling in satellite cells" (Mitchel. 2013).

IL-6 will help build muscle, chronically it will make you sick (Muñoz-Cánoves. 2013).
It does thus appear to be more likely to assume that the increased IL-6 response is - just as the previously observed increase in cortisol in West et al. (2011), by the way - a marker of the workout induced strain, which does - in a non-overtraining scenario! - predict the adaptive response and thus the actual muscle gains.
Source

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleukin_6#Role_as_myokine

Thoughts? Will Singular mess with my gains? :)

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
I also have it in my cabinet. Never took it tho.

Nycnano

Nycnano

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So I’ve recently been prescribed montelukast for my asthma. Does anyone know if it’s bad to take this while on Epiandrosterone?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ironhyde OTC Drug 14