Shoulder Injury advice please...

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
for about the last 6 weeks I've had a reoccurring shoulder injury...

it started off when I was doing cable chest press and at upward angel, in a seated position...just a slight strain perhaps...in my front/anterior shoulder...wasn't getting any better, and I discovered I think I was sleeping on it and making it hard for it to recover...I avoided doing chest and shoulders for about a week plus, then started back very light, no problem, just slight soreness/strain...

the other day it was feeling almost 100 percent better so I decided to do inclide chest press with dumbbells...30's, 40's, 50's, and they all felt good so I went with the 60's

on the first rep I did and I felt a small pop...continued with the exercise, at the top it felt like I had no strength, so I did another and it didn't feel right, so I went ahead and did some more...

after that I stoped chest and just did some push ups (which felt pretty good, just very minor soreness)

it's a few days later and my shoulder feels very bruised/sore...hard to move in certain positions...

Should I go to an orthopedic surgeon to get it looked at??

or is it most likely just a strain and only time will heal it and a dr visit would be pointless...

any advice is appreciated...

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Well of course, going to the dr. would be recommended. You might have strained the upper muscles of the rotator cuff (sorry, can't remember the name).

I'm having issues with my left shoulder, posterior. I also have a paralyzed thoracic nerve, on my left side. Which is why I'm having posterior issues.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
my left shoulder is bothering me too....I don't have any strength loss, but when I rotate it with wide arm circles, I hear a loud pop/shifting at 90* rear transition. Then if I turn my forearm I feel sore tendon scraping against/pinching under my ac joint. It aches if I continue to rotate/pop it. If I avoid these positions the pain goes away and doesn't return.

I'm pretty sure this is called a subacromial impingement. Its common from muscular imbalance and/or bone spur/tendonitis/swelling inside your rotator to fill up and grind within the acromial space.

You could have something similar to what i'm describing. It hurts deep inside/kinda burning/kinda swelling/ almost like a pumped up fatigued muscle feeling under your ac joint.

Whatever is going on, take some time off, get a broomstick, hold it end to end as far as possible in front of you and lift it above your head, stretching and working the rotator. Use NSAID's. Don't hit the gym until the swelling is down, because the swelling will cause the tendons to possibly rub, and develop tendonitis, which is whats happening to me.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
alot of rotator cuff work. rear delts, face pulls seem to help my aches in my shoulders.. DO NOT sleep on ur shoulders i did that and had a ****ty bench workout sunday. Stretch shoulders the way it makes YOU feel good. dont listen to anyone elses pre set stretching. Bench PL style and BB style mixed to where u feel most comfortable.. like squeeze ur shoulder blades but not as much as a PL. Little arch in ur back not a mountain. Do slow controlled reps...

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
went to the orthopedic surgeon today...he said it was a "shoulder impingement" said I could treat it with...anti inflammatorys like Motrin, hot moist heat, start taking fish oil, and exercise lightly and avoid motions when soreness/tenderness occurs...

he said it should heal it's self, just give it some rest and try not to sleep on it.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
came across this the other day...haven't tried it myself however I think the results in this thread speak for themselves....next time my shoulder acts up I am going to give it a go...

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-how-cure-shoulder-problems-trust-me-will-do-90-time-4.html
Reps for the link. Just tried 50 reps and my shoulders are burning and incredibly pumped. I've had to drop my bench press for the moment and been doing some rotator cuff exercises for the last week as benching has just been too painful for my right shoulder. Incorporating this exercise into my regime should speed up recovery no end.