Should I pursue TRT?

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
I’m 43, have one functioning ball, and have been lifting for 5 yrs. In very decent shape. Belly fat/pudge like most every average guy. I had my Dr take bloods and my numbers came back 434 total T/16 free T. He stated I’m midrange normal and doesn’t appear to think any further action is needed. That having been said I have all the tell-take signs of low T, or I guess in my case diminished T. Just because one’s levels are “normal” doesn’t mean a decline from what they once were won’t bring about noticeable change - if I drop down from say 700 to 400, yes I’m still “normal” but surely there’d start to be noticeable symptoms. My symptoms are almost no libido, brain fog, decreased energy and being irritable/mood swings. To me and my research that’s text book low t.
My question to you guys is if I’m still experiencing these symptoms yet being classified as having normal T (I personally think 434 is lower end of mid-range) is it worth going to anti-aging clinic to get on TRT or just try to optimize naturally? I know even if I could optimize naturally the best I could hope for is a small bump In numbers which would likely be negligible. I also know if I walk into an anti-aging clinic they’ll write me up a prescription and pump me up full of T practically same-day cuz that’s how they make money, so they aren’t a reliable source of letting you know if you truly need it or not.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only you can decide if you need TRT. I've been on TRT for almost 20 years. I don't regret it but life is hell without it. At times the injections get annoying but it passes. You could try Clomid to boost your natural production since your numbers aren't terrible.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been on TRT for over 15 years and I am glad I did it. If you have insurance that will cover the cost it is a plus. (I Don't)

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
I have been on TRT for over 15 years and I am glad I did it. If you have insurance that will cover the cost it is a plus. (I Don't)
i would think at my lvl of 434 ng/dl it’s not low enough to even have that conversation with my insurance.

ultimately what I’m trying to determine is: I know if I go to anti-aging clinic they’ll gladly get me on TRT, but since this is how they make money that really isn’t the best source to determine if I *need* to go on TRT.

would I notice a difference if I were to go from 434 to like 800 range? Essentially doubling my T.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My belief is you will have a better feeling of wee being an an increase in Lobito

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
would I notice a difference if I were to go from 434 to like 800 range? Essentially doubling my T.
It makes a huge difference for me. Recovery, fat loss, libido, etc are great with 800s serum levels.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would try to do everything you can to boost your natural production. I’ve been on TRT for almost 8 years and I wouldn’t give it up for nothing, but I wish I had tried other methods of increasing my natural production so I didn’t have to deal with weekly injections.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
I would try to do everything you can to boost your natural production. I’ve been on TRT for almost 8 years and I wouldn’t give it up for nothing, but I wish I had tried other methods of increasing my natural production so I didn’t have to deal with weekly injections.
you bring up a good point - I’m always hesitant to start something I’ll have to commit to pretty much forever. I have a saying, “be careful the You of Today doesn’t write checks that the You of Tomorrow might not want to cash.”

That having been said I’ve read quite a lot of first hand accounts of those on TRT (especially from this great site) and the common phrases I see are “game changer”, “should’ve started it yrs ago”.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm not sorry I started, and I don't mind the injections.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i look at trt kind of like i would imagine a diabetic looks at insulin injections...even though it is necessary doesn't mean i have to like it....well i guess the difference being i won't die if i stop injecting test but from experience i know i will feel like crap....

as a recovering alcoholic it sucks for me to be dependent on a drug for rest of my life.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
One other question I have: if my primary Dr doesn’t seem willing to do TRT and I opt for an anti-aging clinic who will help me - do I then tell my Dr I’ve been prescribed Test? Or is that something I keep to myself? I’m sure if you opt for “less legal routes” you’d wanna keep it quiet but curious if you offer up that info to your Dr if doing this legit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
One other question I have: if my primary Dr doesn’t seem willing to do TRT and I opt for an anti-aging clinic who will help me - do I then tell my Dr I’ve been prescribed Test? Or is that something I keep to myself? I’m sure if you opt for “less legal routes” you’d wanna keep it quiet but curious if you offer up that info to your Dr if doing this legit.
if you are staying legal i see no reason to hold back on being truthful with doc. although be aware he will probably advise against it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Very True

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i look at trt kind of like i would imagine a diabetic looks at insulin injections...even though it is necessary doesn't mean i have to like it....well i guess the difference being i won't die if i stop injecting test but from experience i know i will feel like crap....

as a recovering alcoholic it sucks for me to be dependent on a drug for rest of my life.
That’s a perfect analogy T. By no means do I regret getting on TRT. I just regret I didn’t try to do anything before starting it. If I had known more about it I would have. I didn’t find this site until a few months into TRT. I’ve told you before in other threads, but congrats on your sobriety man!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That’s a perfect analogy T. By no means do I regret getting on TRT. I just regret I didn’t try to do anything before starting it. If I had known more about it I would have. I didn’t find this site until a few months into TRT. I’ve told you before in other threads, but congrats on your sobriety man!
thank you, i appreciate the kind words!!!