Should I get surgery on my arm?

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I got a mri and I have a slap on my right shoulder, I have been lifting with no problems and have full strength! It has gotten a lot better since I injured it! My doctor told me surgery and recovery takes 6 months which is a huge set back for me! Has anyone healed it without surgery? Surgery would ruin my life right now especially since the injury doesn’t bother me when I lift!

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Avoid injury. Think about adding more support movements like high rep band work from all angles.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You can’t really heal a slap tear, your labrum doesn’t get a lot of blood flow. It’ll scar over eventually and maybe you’ll get lucky with it healing in a non shitty way. If it scars over badly and doesn’t heal in a half decent manner then you’re looking at repairing the tear and debriding the are which is extremely painful and takes a lot longer to recover from.

If it doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t fix it immediately but instead focus on building the rotator cuff up so that surgery is easier. But since you got an mri it’s bothering you in some way so maybe getting it ASAP is better. Since you wrestle it’s going to make your shoulder unstable which means you can get a rotator cuff tear more easily.

Since you’re trying to use AAS, you’re going to put more muscle on which will probably cause further joint degradation because you’ll be moving heavy weight without giving your joints and ligaments time to build up. So you could potentially dislocate your shoulder doing something simple like benching just because it won’t be able to sustain the weight you’ll be doing etc.

If you don’t get it repaired the outlook is something like the following

25% chain you stay pain free for your life
50% chance you dislocate it and have to get the surgery anyway
25% chance you traumatically dislocate it and you damage your rotator cuff and bone structure in the area.

End of the day you’re up shits creek without a paddle. It’s never going to be the same whither you get surgery or not. It’ll always be jacked up to some degree. Thats just how the shoulder works when it gets damaged.

Pick your poison but think about the long term. I’d get it fixed while you’re young and you can heal faster. Don’t wait till you’re 40 to get it fixed because the scar tissue build up will make it a million times worse.

Ps I’ve had shoulder surgery for a similar thing, though mine was 100% tear Ant to Post with scar tissue build up and bone degradation

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
You can’t really heal a slap tear, your labrum doesn’t get a lot of blood flow. It’ll scar over eventually and maybe you’ll get lucky with it healing in a non shitty way. If it scars over badly and doesn’t heal in a half decent manner then you’re looking at repairing the tear and debriding the are which is extremely painful and takes a lot longer to recover from.

If it doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t fix it immediately but instead focus on building the rotator cuff up so that surgery is easier. But since you got an mri it’s bothering you in some way so maybe getting it ASAP is better. Since you wrestle it’s going to make your shoulder unstable which means you can get a rotator cuff tear more easily.

Since you’re trying to use AAS, you’re going to put more muscle on which will probably cause further joint degradation because you’ll be moving heavy weight without giving your joints and ligaments time to build up. So you could potentially dislocate your shoulder doing something simple like benching just because it won’t be able to sustain the weight you’ll be doing etc.

If you don’t get it repaired the outlook is something like the following

25% chain you stay pain free for your life
50% chance you dislocate it and have to get the surgery anyway
25% chance you traumatically dislocate it and you damage your rotator cuff and bone structure in the area.

End of the day you’re up shits creek without a paddle. It’s never going to be the same whither you get surgery or not. It’ll always be jacked up to some degree. Thats just how the shoulder works when it gets damaged.

Pick your poison but think about the long term. I’d get it fixed while you’re young and you can heal faster. Don’t wait till you’re 40 to get it fixed because the scar tissue build up will make it a million times worse.

Ps I’ve had shoulder surgery for a similar thing, though mine was 100% tear Ant to Post with scar tissue build up and bone degradation
He told me I wouldn’t be able to work or lift for at least 6 months!i can’t quit my job! And going to college soon! You bring up benching I actually hit a pr 2 weeks ago pain free!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
He told me I wouldn’t be able to work or lift for at least 6 months!i can’t quit my job! And going to college soon! You bring up benching I actually hit a pr 2 weeks ago pain free!
Yup that’s a normal recovery time, I was healed in 4, lifting in 6, didn’t lift heavy till month 9 and even then it was much more controlled. Sucks man, get it done now before you go to college so you aren’t trying to take exams in pain etc. benching is different that wrestling, my shoulder never hurt till I really messed it up then it constantly hurt. I’d just fix it at this point and maybe salvage your freshman experience

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Yup that’s a normal recovery time, I was healed in 4, lifting in 6, didn’t lift heavy till month 9 and even then it was much more controlled. Sucks man, get it done now before you go to college so you aren’t trying to take exams in pain etc. benching is different that wrestling, my shoulder never hurt till I really messed it up then it constantly hurt. I’d just fix it at this point and maybe salvage your freshman experience
I actually wrestled and didn’t feel any pain either is it possible to heal without surgery?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If it isnt bothering your day to day activities why worry about it right now? Are you playing sports in college? Surgery is best if you NEED it to perform. If you dont need it and they are only going to shave it smooth anyway I dont see a reason to rush it.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
If it isnt bothering your day to day activities why worry about it right now? Are you playing sports in college? Surgery is best if you NEED it to perform. If you dont need it and they are only going to shave it smooth anyway I dont see a reason to rush it.
Yah I plan on wrestling in college that’s how it happend during a match in HS,I wrestled last month just see how my arm felt and once i started getting warm the pain went away which was was a huge improvement when it happened my arm would get inflamed just from drills,now I can wrestle live I end up pinning two kids in my weight class and loosing to heavyweight because I didn’t wanna push it since he had some weight on me and didn’t want to much pressure on my arm! When we drilled I felt no pain either, so my arm has definitely gotten significantly better!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yah I plan on wrestling in college that’s how it happend during a match in HS,I wrestled last month just see how my arm felt and once i started getting warm the pain went away which was was a huge improvement when it happened my arm would get inflamed just from drills,now I can wrestle live I end up pinning two kids in my weight class and loosing to heavyweight because I didn’t wanna push it since he had some weight on me and didn’t want to much pressure on my arm! When we drilled I felt no pain either, so my arm has definitely gotten significantly better!
Well how competitive are you? Is this a scholarship?

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Well how competitive are you? Is this a scholarship?
Really Competitive! I am extremely impatient person being sidelined for a year would suck I am sidelined right now but at least I can lift with no problem I won’t even be able to if I get surgery! I don’t no how people still fear death I think It’s the most peaceful thing life offers!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really Competitive! I am extremely impatient person being sidelined for a year would suck I am sidelined right now but at least I can lift with no problem I won’t even be able to if I get surgery! I don’t no how people still fear death I think It’s the most peaceful thing life offers!
Honestly this changes everything.

Get the surgery as soon as you can. Counting the months you may still be able to make the season without a redshirt. Even taking the time now to build yourself a bulletproof shoulder may be a better idea. Especially knowing that you need it for athletic performance down the road.

Lets look at it this way... in college everybody is good. D3,2,1 doesnt really matter. The competition will have a perfectly fine shoulder and that may be an advantage they have over you.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Honestly this changes everything.

Get the surgery as soon as you can. Counting the months you may still be able to make the season without a redshirt. Even taking the time now to build yourself a bulletproof shoulder may be a better idea. Especially knowing that you need it for athletic performance down the road.

Lets look at it this way... in college everybody is good. D3,2,1 doesnt really matter. The competition will have a perfectly fine shoulder and that may be an advantage they have over you.
Dam this is exactly why I am getting on gear early I know a few D1/D3 dudes who tell me you will get murdered if natural!

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dam this is exactly why I am getting on gear early I know a few D1/D3 dudes who tell me you will get murdered if natural!
In wrestling? They must be shitty wrestlers. Strength is only moderately helpful, and only in certain situations. Someone with better technique will win every time.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
In wrestling? They must be shitty wrestlers. Strength is only moderately helpful, and only in certain situations. Someone with better technique will win every time.
I don’t know man strength goes a long way trust me if you ever wrestled you would know technique will only get you so far!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t know man strength goes a long way trust me if you ever wrestled you would know technique will only get you so far!
Technique is always superior. We had a 138 guy constantly pin 185 guys because he was faster and hit his stuff quickly.

Gear is honestly the stupidest thing you could do but you don’t listen to us anyway

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Technique is always superior. We had a 138 guy constantly pin 185 guys because he was faster and hit his stuff quickly.

Gear is honestly the stupidest thing you could do but you don’t listen to us anyway
You do realize 60 percent of guys in college are on gear it’s not about listing it’s just wanting to compete with the best!

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Uh, I wrestled for 5 years. I was easily the strongest kid on the team, and my record was about 50/50 because my technique wasn’t good. I wasn’t very fast either. If you think steroids are gonna help, go for it, but you’re just wrong.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ChocolateClen laid it all out for you. I'm guessing he and I have similar backgrounds. This man is spot on.

OP, this isn't going to recover on it's own to the extent that is necessary for your athletic plan. And you will have to be patient. Recovery from labral repair is not training. If you treat it like training (work harder faster longer heavier) you will self sabotage the repair.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They really arent. The guys on gear are the same ones who take shortcuts. Sorry to call it what it is. Im 100% positive on this as I done over 1000 piss and saliva tests.

Take the time off and come back stronger. If you actually want to compete. Theres always a chance you will come back sooner and stronger.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Op is just a cheat. Doesn’t deserve to win anything again

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, that’s not a thing. You’re gonna get your ass kicked.
Or he’s gonna get the team banned from competitions per NCAA rules and he’s gonna end up with a bar of soap up in where the sun doesn’t shine

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well now you have definitely been great great suggestions and ideas for how to move forward. I can say from an ATC standpoint it would be a total mistake to use anything of that sort to think its going to make you competitive. As a former Athlete who had his time I would still say its a mistake. The cost to get your hormones back to the proper levels are not something your going to afford on your own. The timing, and added stress of class is going to screw you up. Its not so much that you "shouldnt" it be stupid to cripple your own possibilities for a freshman start. Just redshirt the first year. Worry about the more serious stuff later.