Short term success hindering long term success?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess the question this article poses is can programs like schieko be beneficial in the long term. Evidence is leaning towards the fact that you eventual have to continue to do more as the total volume of weight lifted on a movement should continue to increase in most cases. So the possible issue is if you do a ridiculous online program at an intermediate stage where do you go from there to increase TV? Plus the fact that you may be doing more than you have to for your end result.

That was really all. If anyone has any thoughts share away.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I like the article. Everything I've read from RTS' site has been awesome.

I'm lucky, in that, I'm still seeing linear progress. But what goes up must come down. Gonna have some schooling to do when that time comes.

Do you track TV, rob?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like the article. Everything I've read from RTS' site has been awesome.

I'm lucky, in that, I'm still seeing linear progress. But what goes up must come down. Gonna have some schooling to do when that time comes.

Do you track TV, rob?
Not as consistently as I would like. But here and there I like to compare the same way one will look back to a max(single or reps). A spread sheet would likely be best.

And linear is still increasing your total volume. What I mean is say you squated 315 for 5 x 3 this month and next time you get to the rep range it is at 325; you still have increased the total weight lifted(TV). When it gets hard to PR each time is when it gets trickier than linear.

The way you set up your training though gets some solid volume in. Definitely a good twist on 5-3-1.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Yeah it's just hard to say, at what percentage of your 1RM (or RPE), does additional volume become "good" additional volume.