Shipped Supplements and Summer Heat

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
I've been using supplements for ages, so I have no idea why I'm just now getting concerned about this, but...

I got a package in the mail today with a bottle of Cordyceps and a bottle of Lysine.

It's abnormally hot where I live and the heat index was close to 110 F when I retrieved the package from the mail box.

The two bottles were shipped in a thin paper mailer as opposed to a box.

Anyway, the two bottles felt like they had been left on top of a hot stove.

It just got me wondering, would either of these supplements lose potency from such heat extremes?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Unlikely an issue with those two. Raw foodies consider any processing under 108F is still considered "raw."

Now would I want a fish oil sitting there all day in the sun on my door step? No, but some mushrooms and an amino acid, all good IMO. Depending on where they came from even if you bought them at a store in the winter does not guarantee that they were not on a truck in the desert at one point in their life.........

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been using supplements for ages, so I have no idea why I'm just now getting concerned about this, but...

I got a package in the mail today with a bottle of Cordyceps and a bottle of Lysine.

It's abnormally hot where I live and the heat index was close to 110 F when I retrieved the package from the mail box.

The two bottles were shipped in a thin paper mailer as opposed to a box.

Anyway, the two bottles felt like they had been left on top of a hot stove.

It just got me wondering, would either of these supplements lose potency from such heat extremes?
Remember.... Heat Index doesn't apply to sealed supplements.
However, sitting in a Very hot mailbox can add to the issue.

(This won't affect Apex-Alchemy's products, thankfully).

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
That's true. There's no telling what kind of abuse those supplements took before they were ever shipped. I figure if people put cordyceps in hot coffee, then it's probably fine for it to get hot. Not sure about the Lysine, but I'll probably just go ahead and take these. I may try to order all of my Summer supplements in the Spring next year.

Unlikely an issue with those two. Raw foodies consider any processing under 108F is still considered "raw."

Now would I want a fish oil sitting there all day in the sun on my door step? No, but some mushrooms and an amino acid, all good IMO. Depending on where they came from even if you bought them at a store in the winter does not guarantee that they were not on a truck in the desert at one point in their life.........

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That's true. There's no telling what kind of abuse those supplements took before they were ever shipped. I figure if people put cordyceps in hot coffee, then it's probably fine for it to get hot. Not sure about the Lysine, but I'll probably just go ahead and take these. I may try to order all of my Summer supplements in the Spring next year.
.... I did notice that Cordyceps capsules turn black (from the original brown) after prolonged exposure to heat.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Taken from the MSDS on l-lysine:

3. Physical/Chemical Characteristics
  • 3.1. Physical State: Powder
  • 3.2. Appearance: yellow powder
  • 3.3. Odor: Not available
  • 3.4. pH: 5.0~6.0
  • 3.5. Melting point/range: 414°C (decomposes)
  • 3.6. Boiling point: Not available
  • 3.7. Bulk density: 1.5 g/cm3
  • 3.8. Solubility: Not Available
Also if the l-lysine in your meat, fish, eggs, lentils, beans and so on survives cooking at temperature well beyond a mail box in summer there is not going to be an issue.

Long-term storage temps would be more concerning but beyond coated bars and more fragile oils/softgels I would not worry.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Remember.... Heat Index doesn't apply to sealed supplements.
However, sitting in a Very hot mailbox can add to the issue.

(This won't affect Apex-Alchemy's products, thankfully).
Apex takes the time to wrap and protect the contents like it's a faberge egg!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Apex takes the time to wrap and protect the contents like it's a faberge egg!
LOL.
Yep.

Also, I don't believe that high environmental temps would have any ill-effects on any of our products, for such a short period of time.
:)

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another thing to consider: Think of all the tropical produce that grows, is picked, and packed at and around the equator. All these things have phytonutrients that are far more fragile than some l-lysine or aminos in general. Think about generic GH that is far more fragile than 99% of supplements and that stuff gets smuggled from China on container ships on deck of one of those super ships and then sits God knows where till people order it, and then it sits in their mail box..........................and it seems to work just fine based on user feedback.

So many things to worry about in life and this is not one worthy of your stress.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
nootropics depot put one of my supps in an insulated envelope with an ice pack

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
nootropics depot put one of my supps in an insulated envelope with an ice pack
They need to find a more efficient way to ship packages that are sensitive to heat. Not sure what the answer is just saying there's a need from me experiencing it the hard way :(