hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome find! Subbed for more info and reflection on the topic.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Great podcast so far! Time to increase tanning and cholesterol.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great podcast so far! Time to increase tanning and cholesterol.
It's not necessary going over oard with either that's important, and it's not just tanning with uv. We did a show on red light photobiomodulation that discusses a slight tanning effect of the 600-700 mm wavelengths. This would suggest activation of the melanocourtan system by IR light as well. It's not a huge leap to buy into full spectrum sunlight having a litany of benefits, especially because humans evolved in its presence.

Another point to keep in mind is that sleep apnea lowers SHBG. This makes sense in light of the fact that SHR put out a show a week or two ago on a study that found sleep apnea to have no affect on lowering testosterone. When you couple this with sleep apnea lowering SHBG, it provides a plausible MOA through which apnea screws with hormones. If its lowering SHBG, it is lowering the chaperone hormone for testosterone.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's not necessary going over oard with either that's important, and it's not just tanning with uv. We did a show on red light photobiomodulation that discusses a slight tanning effect of the 600-700 mm wavelengths. This would suggest activation of the melanocourtan system by IR light as well. It's not a huge leap to buy into full spectrum sunlight having a litany of benefits, especially because humans evolved in its presence.

Another point to keep in mind is that sleep apnea lowers SHBG. This makes sense in light of the fact that SHR put out a show a week or two ago on a study that found sleep apnea to have no affect on lowering testosterone. When you couple this with sleep apnea lowering SHBG, it provides a plausible MOA through which apnea screws with hormones. If its lowering SHBG, it is lowering the chaperone hormone for testosterone.
Would agree. I'm primarily ketogenic and eating around maintenance energy. My increase wouldn't be an overload. Would uva/uvb from a regular tanning bed have similar benefits?

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would agree. I'm primarily ketogenic and eating around maintenance energy. My increase wouldn't be an overload. Would uva/uvb from a regular tanning bed have similar benefits?
Imo, probably more harm than benefits. It would stimulate the melanocourtan system to produce vitamin d, but you are giving up a ton of benefits that come along with full spectrum sunlight exposure. The only isolated light that I personally would overexpose myself to, based on what research I'm familiar with, is the near/far infrared. To each his own though.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Imo, probably more harm than benefits. It would stimulate the melanocourtan system to produce vitamin d, but you are giving up a ton of benefits that come along with full spectrum sunlight exposure. The only isolated light that I personally would overexpose myself to, based on what research I'm familiar with, is the near/far infrared. To each his own though.
Don't have the money for red light. But in get ya.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't have the money for red light. But in get ya.
Same here. Luckily, sunlight is free. I guess that could be an issue depending on what part of the world one lives in.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Same here. Luckily, sunlight is free. I guess that could be an issue depending on what part of the world one lives in.
More of an issues of hours I work.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I remember reading looong time ago that shbg is some kind of transport protein for hormones...didnt give it too much thought whether it was true or not...

But yes we know that both total and free t numbers are important.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Has to do more with liver and gut inflammation as a result of mold, intestinal infection, SIBO, too
much estrogens. environmental exposure xenoestrogens, low carb diets, EPI, commonly seen in NASH and hemochromatosis

mynewusername

Awards
and how much of this is just another marketing scamm with fake studies out of a trillion up until now? " BUY RED LIGHT IT HAS 0123032010312 BENEFITS OMFG OWOWOW " while its just trash and actually does nothing, once again just trust the nature, the sun is the best form of light out there and the healthiest one.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
and how much of this is just another marketing scamm with fake studies out of a trillion up until now? " BUY RED LIGHT IT HAS 0123032010312 BENEFITS OMFG OWOWOW " while its just trash and actually does nothing, once again just trust the nature, the sun is the best form of light out there and the healthiest one.
I did say that sunlight is free. The nature of the thread is to spread information about magalin. I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm also not going to take back what I say about red/ NIR. I have experienced the benefits of both red and NIR. Also, with the number of studies that are coming out on red/ NIR, it validates the results more and more. That would be quite a few fake studies at this point....

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wrote this for something else, hope someone finds it helpful.

In recent literature, they have identified megalin, a low-density lipoprotein endocytic receptor located in various mammalian tissues, has been recently shown to facilitate sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) steroid complexes across cell membranes (4,5). Megalin can also degrade SHBG (4,5). It was recently reported in skeletal muscles, and SHBG-binding receptors have also been identified on leukocytes. Now, these complexes have been identified in most target tissues of sex hormones, including the blood-brain barrier (1,3,7,9). SHBG has now been shown to act as a chaperone of sex hormones into target tissues and allows for enhanced delivery. SHBG has even been shown to enhance the expression and effects of the sex hormones allowing them to be more active once inside the target tissues (2). It was also shown in an animal model that animal deficient in megalin displayed similar effects to animals treated with androgen- or estrogen-receptor antagonists (6). However, these animals are not entirely resistant to androgens or estrogens, so it is theorized that there is an entry mechanism for both free and protein-bound hormones, and both entry mechanisms coexist in the same cell (5). Models for each option and linked below (5,8). Some aspects of total verse free testosterone in human effects is conflicting as well (10).

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21322835

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5136390/

1. https://academic.oup.com/mend/article/16/10/2181/2741445

1. https://stke.sciencemag.org/content/2005/301/tw325

1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867405008615

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16143106/

1. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-36882-3

1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982299803005

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17324488

1. https://watermark.silverchair.com/er.2017-00025.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAmIwggJeBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggJPMIICSwIBADCCAkQGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMlaZyMsF4eC7uG_ftAgEQgIICFagIkCP4oJtC6Jj4D_BucdI--IMRm58691tC30HDmyV62rQCVZTTlQn4APaolTsw8teHUu8Emk_PBdPqKDFk2oQ5Tvp4iix5YzydUWE11ewCK3ESmJaSiZxgggmlMvbp-EBCmH6ly4K6h9p5pdxuVan96T66EIkenGIIDeW0dC9tP6UxLx4ZGB4GcBfcMl7gjwzuswqToGdEj7uwuWu9JZIFKSHrmRy2cbo1eaWBJ68oyuHb3G29Pgopzq3gfjugnhSCTrFC3uURFgL1N5ImSIIVvuhUXVxam0xHqnbBMoz_smHjOMFbSNjEi4BL3u7zB4nsB7f0yvsk6_R27MxaIEYQ4_2Zyze07uwUw5bTU9IboSEzqA-QN3vzS89bZ57V9ikjCZgnKjEtZ0cCIrxNsL8jS804WQxa-30gt25PbMQbqsKeqgx4MORfuiRzjFR_Pz5iompzqoAQkC8Nsh1U81ArMGZ7UjSDMzEKqrtKsKYmniJWt2y7HVikjBHED2BK7dxBiUATXYfDEDwoTfsG297NVhigFhKp2i3mEncgxV4CfLtZxyIcbvdn-MhhZSJJvFYO2ddStvngcmlHjPHZxplGy9v_iAUDfFCthoNpTmre9UprYp1Y5oi_HaBjdjIUIgVjJvqepfnNSBizCGb-BSE8olMHsE3ddWMIX0vBEND8ij2E24yIaEkVzadKQ49KK2Pllu6g

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Has to do with the gut biome and biliary system driving liver malfunction causing the elevated shbg.
Since working from these 2 angles we have seen lowering of shbg in some cases.
Currently we are in process of using the latest biome testing combined with gene expressions to look at these correlations

vvs1

Awards
Has to do with the gut biome and biliary system driving liver malfunction causing the elevated shbg.
Since working from these 2 angles we have seen lowering of shbg in some cases.
Currently we are in process of using the latest biome testing combined with gene expressions to look at these correlations
I would like your help to lower my SHBG. I have had shbg results from 37-88.

I did a vegan diet thinking it would allow my liver to cleanse. But right after completing, shbg was highest ever at 88. It could also be related to iron intake(spinach) of plants or maybe vegan Ian changes the biome.