Serious question - getting rid of intestinal waste

J-Test

Awards
So supposedly people are carrying around 5-10 pounds of extra poop in the gut, which leads to a bloated stomach and hence a pot belly. I think I may have this going on.

Besides a colonic, what else can I do to detox the extra waste in my intestine? I've heard of Psyllum Husk, anything else? Serious question, not being funny or anything.

Thanks,

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
NO, 99% of people who have a "pot belly" are simply FAT. I am sorry. This 10-20lbs of waste being stuck in the intestine/colon myth pops up over and over. IF someone really had gastroparesis that slow they would have serious medical issues requiring medical attention, see IMPACTION.

Now does this mean something like psyllium has no value, not at all. I personally LOVE psyllium and find it does make elimination very efficient and clean. I highly recommend psyllium.

Dblock

Awards
  • First Up Vote
As said above, try some type of fasting. Everyone is different I do 12 hours usually. We constantly load our digestive system with food and as you get older you need a break. I also agree with above post about extra waste being “stuck” in your body. It is BS

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Have you tried cocaine?

Jokes aside, I struggle through bouts of IBS between bouts of constipation, great time, spared no expense on a bidet. For either side, my favorite non medical remedy is a week focusing on LIVE fermented foods. Always does the trick for me.

Dire measures are a nonstimulant laxative, and nuclear option is that magnesium OTC drink.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that the truth on this is a little misrepresented.

Yes, everyone does have a certain amount of waste in their bowels.
Yes, some people may have quite a bit of it.
But no, the average person doesn't have as much as some people claim.

BUT, and this is what gets overlooked, there is just going to be an average amount that as a person you generally hold, so if someone is super concerned with scale weight, seeing it drop may make them super happy but then seeing it come back is going to make them super sad, if that makes sense.

I do think this may be an issue for some people, but it isn't going to be an issue for most people that have been eating healthy for a reasonable period of time.

I think the key is to improve overall gut health and microbiome in general imo.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think the key is to improve overall gut health and microbiome in general imo.
Steve nailed it.

BTW - one of the best ways to favorably impact gut microbiome is to eliminate sugar/highly processed foods and eat fermented foods (fermented sauerkraut, for example).

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dr Tobias Colon cleanse pills on Amazon. Your welcome. Scroll reviews till you see “Found god in grocery store”

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Emodin does wonders. Lowers cortisol and you'll be living on the toilet so much you won't want to eat anything. At least that's the effect it has on me.

big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probiotics, digestive enzymes, ginger, Swedish bitters.

Fermented foods as a few gentleman have already stated, I love Kimchi, or Sauerkraut.

Make sure you are eating resistant starches - IE potatoes, rice, legumes, green bananas, and grains.

As yourself and others have already stated a fibre supplement, I take one that is all inclusive but the major player being Psyllium Husk.

Proper hydration - most people don't nearly drink enough water. I drink 4L a day, and I love it because I am in the bathroom so much I don't have to put up with other people's BS. Now going with that also is making sure your electrolytes are balanced.

Have a blood test to make sure your blood sugar is in check.

As others have said fasting it can help by giving your body a break.

Cheers ~!

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t believe people are full of ****. I had a colonoscopy recently and the prep made me get rid of everything in my system and hardly anything came out. I am a 56 yr old powerlifter at about 25 percent bodyfat that eats tons of red meat etc.. for decades.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don’t believe people are full of ****. I had a colonoscopy recently and the prep made me get rid of everything in my system and hardly anything came out. I am a 56 yr old powerlifter at about 25 percent bodyfat that eats tons of red meat etc.. for decades.
I'm not sure how you made it to be 56 years old without knowing for sure that most people are full of **** :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Joking. Sorry, couldn't resist haha.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Try prolonged fasting. 72 hours is the sweet spot.
I still need to do the 72 hour water fast. I've heard a lot of benefits from doing it just haven't bit the bullet yet and tried it. (I like food too much ;) )

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’d be up for trying this…bit of friendly motivation/support 👍🏼
That's what I need :ROFLMAO: Truthfully I just need to plan a jam packed full vacation and do the water fast to take my mind off of food when I do it.