Segansational's Motivation Log

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No workout yesterday. Schedule a bit off this AM, just wasn't getting going early. So mid-morning WO in a fed state.

Squats
Foam rolling/stretching.
Bird Dogs x10,5,3

BB Squats:
Warm ups, 95x10
135x8
185x6 - shoulders felt tight this AM, so added in Banded pull aparts here for a sets.
215x3
235x1

Working sets, resistance band pullaparts (5#) prior to each set, belted:
265x3
265x3
265x3

These actually went fairly well, felt like I was certainly pushing, but not like I was near failing. Guess that's the best I can ask for!

I am wondering if I should be doing larger incremental jumps for warm ups, and then actually just hitting a 1 rep for a "stretch" rep before backing off a little into working sets. That's a little more how some older programs I used to do structured things, presumably with the idea that neurologically you're more ready to handle the lower weights for reps. Thoughts?

39:05, 164 cals.

Pre: 2 caps Eria Jarensis, 1 packet Pixie Pump. Went lighter today pre-WO since I had my coffee first.
Intra: Same as prior.

Squat progression target looks like this:
Week 1 - 265
Week 2 - 275
Week 3 - 285
Week 4 - 295
Week 5 - 305
Week 6 - 315
Week 7 - 325
Week 8 - 335
Honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to hit these Week after week. But we'll see.

Supps & stuff
Finished out my KSM-66 and another bottle of Pepti-Plex the other day. Still have 3 more months of Pepti-Plex!
Ending Week 1 of LeGenD at 12mg, split evenly. Dosing may bump to 16mg. So far hunger increase and first two days had light headaches. Added Swanson Hawthorne berry at 1 cap/day.
Plus 2 pumps 4-andro TD.
Also running Cardiovascular XT and Liver Assist XT, along with PEA relief and Joint Edge. Have TUDCA if needed.
10g glutamine daily for gut health. Also have taurine if pumps show up.
Plus the normal stuff (C, D, multi, omegas, creatine, etc.)

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thoughts?
The 531 variant I'm running does what you're talking about, 3 warm up sets, 3 working sets up to 85-95% training max, then busts it down to 10 sets of 5 at 70-80%. I have noticed, vs other bodybuilding specific programming, that my CNS seems more willing to push through the actual work this way, it also leaves me feeling more fulfilled, arguably most important.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
While I’m all for setting serious goals to help drive you, that should be the point - so if they feel too ambitious, to the point you doubt the potential for realization, it’s not giving the same benefit. So try to be realistic!

Right now you’re talking about 70lbs and 26% increase on working weights in 8 weeks, or 10lbs a week. 5lbs a week is a common linear increase in things like a 5x5 or other aggressive or beginner programs. So you just have to ask yourself what, if anything, is going to drive that extra rapid 10lb weekly progression.

There’s basically 4 things:
1) big drops/tradeoff in specific volume, like in block linear progression going
2) returning to the skill, like from injury or time away from it
3) drastic changes in size/leverage
4) significant PED increase or other

The more of the above you’re combining, more likely you can pull off ridiculous poundage increases - for a while.

So just ask yourself if that measures up when you do the math. For me, I know I can get a couple big jumps at the start from skill increase coming back to things specifically, but after that the real work happens and I can just slap a ton more weight on, even with PEDs. 5lbs a week is still a rate of 260lb/year, totally unsustainable. It works.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I was going to say it really depends on a variety of factors, but trying to plan out expected jumps in weight like that for 8 weeks is probably going to be tough. I forget your current exact amounts, but unless it is all below current 1rms it can be tough to plan for expected changes.

I think it is fine to shoot for whatever the end amount is or have a goal, just that the in between can be tougher to pre-plan. Setting up plans based on volume progressions or strength jumps based on how each week goes or some form of auto-regulation I think may be a better idea.

Just kind of expanding on what Hyde is saying because if you are already worried you really just need to make you have a plan in place in case something happens when you have a tough week or don't progress exactly as planned over the 8 weeks.

I don't want this to be negative or sound negative, just think it can be helpful to be ready and plan ahead.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya I was going to say it really depends on a variety of factors, but trying to plan out expected jumps in weight like that for 8 weeks is probably going to be tough. I forget your current exact amounts, but unless it is all below current 1rms it can be tough to plan for expected changes.

I think it is fine to shoot for whatever the end amount is or have a goal, just that the in between can be tougher to pre-plan. Setting up plans based on volume progressions or strength jumps based on how each week goes or some form of auto-regulation I think may be a better idea.

Just kind of expanding on what Hyde is saying because if you are already worried you really just need to make you have a plan in place in case something happens when you have a tough week or don't progress exactly as planned over the 8 weeks.

I don't want this to be negative or sound negative, just think it can be helpful to be ready and plan ahead.
Yeah, I didn’t want to come off as negative or say he can’t do it either. I just thought it seemed aggressive, and he echoed that notion, so I wanted to say it’s okay to have a contingency plan or adjust on the way.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for the feedback fellas. All good, on the one hand I'm at the point of "it's now or never " type mentality. Shoot, I'm certainly not getting any younger - I keep getting those reminders - so it's not going to get any easier. I want to push myself, if not, then why am I even doing this? Goals should be ambitious and somewhat scare you in what you could achieve if you go for it. So, taking those chances in life lately.

But... then again, if I am already pushing too hard, then I might be setting myself up for failure. As it is, I'm sitting here two days after a heavy squat session and my whole body is still sore.

All that to say, I will certainly adjust based on feel. And at least for squats I may adjust weeks down to only 5# increases now that I bought those microplates.

No WO yesterday, but did some yard work in the afternoon for spring clean up, so counting that for "cardio." Active rest day.

Arms
Foam rolling/stretching.

TRX biceps 3x12
TRX triceps 3x12

Supersets:
EZ bar curls +40x3x10
Dips x3x10

Machine Curls, 4 plates x 3x10
Foam rolling/stretching to finish.

47:40, 129 cals.

Pre: 2 scoops Kraken, 4 caps Pepti-Plex
Intra: Same as previous

Got a new mattress, still not quite sure about it yet. First two nights my sleep wasn't great, but other factors may have contributed. Last night took a 1/2 scoop Fade Out to ensure I stayed asleep.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya you should be fine if approaching it right and definitely think it is good to have a mentality to really push in certain situations, I just know as a more seasoned lifter planning the increases may make more sense with built in tests or mechanisms that help you decide when it is appropriate to increase.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, didn't get a WO in yesterday. Took the day off since my daughter's school was closed and we just had a lot planned. Plus, I was up again with my son before morning. Sleep lately is seemingly really needed as I'm having a hard time getting up with my alarms.

Also, may have done something to my right shoulder yesterday trying to maneuver a 12' tree off a trailer. Second tree my wife has bought in as many days. Apparently it was forklifted on the trailer... so yeah. That and my back just feel a little off, so we'll see how it goes for deads today.

Also, random notes:
-Really noticing muscle soreness lately. -Think similar to something I saw in another log, the extra androgens are probably causing this.
-Felt ravenous after my 2nd warm up set this AM and wolfed down a banana. Think there may be some hypoglycemic effects happening too. May need to adjust my schedule to workout after a small meal vs fasted.

Deadlifts
Foam rolling/stretching
Curl ups x 10,5,3

Warm ups, unbelted, overhand grip. Banded pull aparts before each set, 5#:
95x10
135x8
185x6
215x3 - felt easy this AM.

Working Sets, belted, mixed grip, resistance band pullaparts 5# before each set:

255x2 - Just didn't have it today. Felt I was pulling to much with my lower back, so stopped to prevent injury.

55:47, 153 cals.

Kids woke up and that was it!

Pre: 2 scoops Kraken, 4 caps Pepti-Plex, 2 caps Eria Jarensis
Intra: Same as usual

Weigh in on Monday was roughly up 1# (175ish). Will look at the number and confirm.

Last edited:

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Just getting caught up on your log. Sorry your sleep has been off as of late. I can relate, my son was up for an hour last night. Luckily it was an off day.

Not sure how much difference it would make but when I’m warming up I use the same rep scheme that I’m going to use for the particular day. First couple sets are sets of five and then maybe a triple, by then I’m into my working set. I also can respect the “I’m not getting any younger mentality.” I’ve been guilty of that through my log as well. I’d say try to attack each day, enjoy the process and let the chips fall where they land.

Have a great day man!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Extra androgens, overall, improve recovery (unless they are so high the health strain they can cause becomes counterproductive). If you are getting more sore on a PED cycle, it’s likely either because you are lifting heavier or a greater volume of work overall from what you are used to, or the usual possibility of underrecovery if food/sleep has been off or external stressors are particularly high.

The fact that you have been busy with lifting trees and taking care of your kids is definitely a possibility!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you are getting more sore on a PED cycle, it’s likely either because you are lifting heavier or a greater volume of work overall from what you are used to
when I'm on an epiandro run (like I am now, at a higher dose than my normal) I try very hard to push myself harder personally. more reps for hypertrophy, more time at 90%+ weight areas etc to challenge the products impact on me. I do feel like I'm very very handsomely rewarded for it, but I always feel like warn out and lethargic puppy in recovery. and that's just with epi lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
when I'm on an epiandro run (like I am now, at a higher dose than my normal) I try very hard to push myself harder personally. more reps for hypertrophy, more time at 90%+ weight areas etc to challenge the products impact on me. I do feel like I'm very very handsomely rewarded for it, but I always feel like warn out and lethargic puppy in recovery. and that's just with epi lol
This explains my point exactly. Dig a bigger ditch, and it will take longer to fill back in.

You can use a bigger shovel to help speed it up, but it doesn’t change the fact the size of the hole dug was larger.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bench
Foam rolling/stretching.
Chest stretches
Rotator Cuff Ex, resistance bands 2x12,12
Bird Dogs x10,5,3

Bench Press:
Warm ups, 95x10
135x8
165x6
185x3
190x2 - Used my new microplates to bump 5# on today's raw set.

Slingshot assist:
205x4

Unassisted burnout reps:
160x8

Neutral grip pushups, 2 sets to failure

52:31, 170 cals.

Pre: 2 scoops Kraken, 4 caps Pepti-Plex
Intra: 1 scoop Grunt, 1 scoop Hydra-Charge, 2 scoops Creatine HCL, 1/2 scoop Cluster Bomb, 10g glutamine.