Seeking Advice on recomp.

ValorOfOne

ValorOfOne

Awards
I used to hang out on this forum all the time back in the day, while deployed to Iraq in 07 through 08. I was back out until 2010 and when I came home, unfortunately I had cancer. It's now 7 years later and I want to overhaul my life. I've always remained health conscious for the most part, I keep a relatively strict diet as it is.

Where I'm at now:

6Feet 4 Inches tall
215 Lbs
Body fat isn't anywhere as low as it used to be, Though I can still clearly see the upper two rows of my abdominal muscles.
I'm not limited from doing anything, I have PCT , Support and things of this nature available to me.
I've ran multiple cycles in the past.

Why I'm asking for help:

I've been out of the gym for many years; I understand this will not be easy, but it needs to be done. When I was in my early 20s; (Now 29) I was able to go from fat slob to ripped in about 3 and a half months. I'm not expecting something this drastic, but I feel that I can likely get there all the same. I am trying to line up some information regarding what my fellow members would do in my situation.

I want to be able to witness gains, I know this is going to come more quickly than not, and I'll have a while before I physically hit a plateau. I was a body builder before, but now having not been within the gym in such a long time, and not kept up on the supplement scene and the AS side; I'm not sure if I'd be making the right choice by following my own judgment.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

V/r

Valor.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
congrats on beating the cancer and getting back into the game.

1st off is your diet in check..?

And what about training regimen...?

Before getting back into any gear, I would recommend that you get diet and training in order
so that you can maximize anything that you add to it.

If you are looking for extra motivation to get started, Check out SNS Focus XT to dive you
some focus and drive at the gym.

ValorOfOne

ValorOfOne

Awards
My diet has always been quite proper. My protein intake would need to be raised, but as far as my eating habits, I've never moved away from Chicken breast and fish. I'm in Florida, and the fish down here is truly something special.

As far as training; I'm aware that I'd likely be starting slow. When I was in the military I was going every day, Usually for about 45 minutes, Then eating again just to avoid the catabolism of HIT, which I was usually doing to push through plateaus.

If you're familiar with a training regimen that would be worth trying, I'm all ears. I'm experienced in lifting, I know my form and I'm not sure where my weight is on anything. I've been out of the gym for a long time, though I do stay active long boarding, and I walk everywhere.

I understand this is a "Get in the gym and do it " type thing. But I want to make sure I'm maxing my progress by doing everything right. In the military regimen was something that came natural, unfortunately ,now I don't have that structure anymore. I think that building a plan and refusing to deviate would be the very best course.

Thank you
V/r

Valor

Kevink1429

Kevink1429

Awards
First off...beating cancer and fighting terrorists...you're my hero.

Like vujade said, diet is key. Figure out your macros and follow them religiously. Get back in the gym and give yourself a couple months to get reacquainted with the iron.

I'm on an epi/halo cycle right now doing a recomp and it's treating me well.

You mentioned you're experienced with lifting and anabolics, so with diet and training you'll be kicking ass again in no time.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As these guys said, you're a hell of a hero just for the service and beating cancer. Can't thank you enough.

As for the how, here's my thoughts:
- It sounds like you like the "routine" aspects of the military... Use this to build your plan. Make the gym (or whatever athletic event you do each day) a staple, within a timeframe, consistent, and daily. What does a "normal" day look like for you now? (wake time, eat times, gym times, sleep times, etc...). Is it the same on the weekdays as weekends? What other activities do you want to work into your life?

- For the cycle stuff, wait at least a few months. If you were in good shape before and regularly lifting and such, your body will remember a good deal of that, even with all the time off. Use these next few months to get those "memory gainz" back. No need for a cycle as you'll build fast until you're at or near where you used to be.

- Diet sounds just fine. Its gonna be all about tweaking total cals and maybe a little on the macro side, but it sounds like you understand this.

- Workout regimen... depends what you're really trying to achieve. More strength based? Size? General aesthetics? A bit of all of it? Based on this, we can recommend some programs or help you tweak things you may have used successfully in the past.