Sean's Powerlifting Journey

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any opinions on the Iron Rebel elbow sleeves yet?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here you go Sean. You know how it is. You take 20 seconds to articulate something, I take four minutes.

How I wrap: https://youtu.be/tCpaXcSVkCw

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're a good man. I'll give the tread wrap a go again. I just had trouble tying off before but that looked fairly easy. I've done spiral before and it just didn't do shît lol Agreed on going higher on the thigh.

I had no time to articulate. That was my third set and I was sick of wrapping lol

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Who is to make video with shoe lace to make knot? Lol

I do love the ease of getting the wraps back off the way Sean does it, but if I use a shoe lace and pull it through I get like 1 additional rotation or like a chip plate? Lol good stuff guys.

Solid squatting Sean. I like the name for the accessory squat lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I too like the extra revolution, Rob. But I've found that needlenose pliers make getting the wrap tucked easier when the wraps are at maximum tightness.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Decided against 2x/week straight bar benching. RC/AC can't handle it.

Flat DB Press/Cable Row
65/180, 8 sets of 8-15 reps

EZbar Curls
85x5x10

Pec Flys/Skullcrushers
30x4x15/85x5x12

Rear Delt Flys
30x4x10

Banded Stabing Crunches/DB Side Bends

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Decided against 2x/week straight bar benching. RC/AC can't handle it.

Flat DB Press/Cable Row
65/180, 8 sets of 8-15 reps

EZbar Curls
85x5x10

Pec Flys/Skullcrushers
30x4x15/85x5x12

Rear Delt Flys
30x4x10

Banded Stabing Crunches/DB Side Bends
What about throwing in a slanger on the second day? Or taking it off boards? I dont know just trying to throw out some ideas

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about throwing in a slanger on the second day? Or taking it off boards? I dont know just trying to throw out some ideas
Original plan, and what I did in the past, was to do just that, but if my shoulder is inflamed like it was this week, it's not worth trying to me

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Original plan, and what I did in the past, was to do just that, but if my shoulder is inflamed like it was this week, it's not worth trying to me
Are you taking anything for the inflammation?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
A few days of Nsaids and my shoulder inflammation went away almost completely. Worth a shot.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
U try turmeric helps me with joint discomfort
Glad you mentioned it. I had turmeric gel caps that melted in my truck a while back. Only used it for a couple weeks. I'll pick some more up.

Rear Delt/lat tie-in is all sorts of tight so it's making my RC "catch" when extending or rotating my arm. **** shoulders.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
9 Weeks Out

Sumo Deadlift
DOH
135x8
225x5
315x3
Hook
415x1
+Belt
465x3x3 (75%ish)
+2" Block
495x3 (80%ish)
+Straps
485+40lbs Chain x3x3
https://instagram.com/p/6fcFg0E62o/

Glute-Ham Raise
BW vs Average Band at a wide base
x4x12

One-legged Leg Press
Slow, Constant TUT
1pps x3xLots

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hook grip is staying as long it can. My pulls have never felt so good.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad the hook grip is working for ya!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Improving fast with the hook grip Sean. Awesome

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
That's some good tugging! I'm too much of a pansy to use hook grip but I do like the double overhand feel so I cheat and use straps.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's some good tugging! I'm too much of a pansy to use hook grip but I do like the double overhand feel so I cheat and use straps.
Thanks ya! I was a pansy before too. After today's pulls, it's l doubles and singles for comp stance work, so I'll suck it up.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Screw this ****

Bench

Comp Grip Bench
45x10
95x10
135x2x5
160x3
185x2
210x1
235x4x3
(Last and best set)
https://instagram.com/p/6iGT_LE6wQ/
+2 Board
250x3
+3 Board
250x3x3

Incline DB Bench/CG Seated Cable Row
65x5x12/100x5x15

Rear Delt Fly/Duffin's KB Front Raise

**** bench. Couldn't stay tight. Couldn't get leg drive. Couldn't keep forearms upright.

But....I worked out my RC to be pain free. So, at least there's that.

I'll do some arms at work tomorrow.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Completely agree on the bench man. Haha I hate it too. At least you worked out that RC..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Been hooking my (rather light) sumo stuff last 8 weeks and the double overhand lets me get in position SO much better it seems than over/under. Haven't gone over 455 w/ it yet though, and it hurt my widdle hands to do that :raincloud: Straps are where it's at when it's done for the day.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you can DL a car and squat a house, who needs to bench a light girl! Lol.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squats

Buffalo Bar, Comp Stance
50x10
150x5
240x5
330x3
420x1
+Belt and Wraps
545x3x3
+Reverse Miniband
580x3

No more time.

Circuit
BSS/GHR/Leg Ext/Leg Curls
2x15

Squats felt great. Vids in a bit.

Things will slow down soon at work so I can spend some more time on the forum and the gym (and life in general)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
115lb jump from last warmup, sonofa! Made up for the depth w the reverse band triple no doubt!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
115lb jump from last warmup, sonofa! Made up for the depth w the reverse band triple no doubt!
Yeah I was in a rush today lol The jump felt fine though. Sets 1&2 depth was alright, set 3 was sky high lol 580 had some rubber band confidence and hit it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Upper

Comp Bench
https://instagram.com/p/6smOyjk66h/
185x10x3
(Supersetted between the following 10 sets...)

Chest Supported Row
110-170x5x12

Prone Incline Rear Delt Fly
35x5x15

Standing OHDBP
60x10
75x10
75x8
65x10
60x10

Cable Tri Ext/DB Curls
5x15

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice pop on those.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When his singlet said Overkill and it said raw I had to double take to be sure lol. Impressive stuff - almost 4.5x bw!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Contemplating how I want to run my deload (every third week). Program always calls for 5 singles at RPE 5, so I usually just do singles with 405/225. I'm considering just doing singles up to 80% and then just lightened assistance work. Any advice there?

Also, considering 615 to be my last squat warmup, 645 Opener, 685 Second, and 725 as 3rd.

Bench, last warmup 255, attempts 275/300/315.

Deadlift, last warmup 5 plates, 535/575/615.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Westside, at least the stuff Tate said they used to do, for a deload/lightened weak was skip the heavy work but pound the accessories. He always stressed that these weren't "easy" days but gave the joints and nervous system a big break. The muscles still got it as much or more than usual. You're not taking the drugs they were and you know what's best for you; just some input to consider.

I read some stuff by Dr. Mike Israel or CWS on JTS discussing that volume is harder on recovery than intensity though, which would lend itself towards your suggested deload. Remember Carroll is on more drugs for the 10 weeks leading into comp, so the deloads there are going to be better recovered than the off-season where he brings things back down - his layout follows the Westside philosophy more in that regard (assistance>specific volume).

Also, 2nd bench is the only attempt without an evenly spaced jump (would be 295 if so). Think about why you're leaning for that extra 5lbs and do what feels right. Part of me thinks you're not as confident about 315 as you'd like, so you're trying to hedge your bets for the extra 5lbs.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Couldn't hurt trying that out considering you'll be resting up the week of the meet (I'm assuming). Could keep you a bit more acclimated to the heavy weights as your meet approaches. Idk.

Part of me would say just stick with whatever you did last time to get 710 though. Doubt it'll make a world of difference either way.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Couldn't hurt trying that out considering you'll be resting up the week of the meet (I'm assuming). Could keep you a bit more acclimated to the heavy weights as your meet approaches. Idk.

Part of me would say just stick with whatever you did last time to get 710 though. Doubt it'll make a world of difference either way.
Personally, I feel a lot more 'de-loaded' when I chop all the accessory volume down and keep some of the weight on my back like he's considering. Like you said, keeps you acclimated.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Personally, I feel a lot more 'de-loaded' when I chop all the accessory volume down and keep some of the weight on my back like he's considering. Like you said, keeps you acclimated.
Yep, I base my deloads off what I've read from Dr. Israetel. His guidelines differ based on the type of training block you're in and how often you're deloading. But a lot of that stuff is splitting hairs.

In general, I cut total volume to ~50-70% @80-90% of my usual intensity for the first half of the week and cut both volume and intensity to ~50-70% for the second half of the week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah so for today, I worked up to a 495 beltless pull, which was practically a speed pull on a stiff bar, which I'm pleased with.

I'm just going to wing it and not overthink it lol

Finished with
Paused RDL 315x3x8
Shrugs 225x3x15
Lunges 100x3 Hallways
Hanging Leg Raises 3x8
Happy hip stuff
TKE's

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the input guys. I posted that up while I was sippin on prewo lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CWS says either

70% intensity and 100% volume
100% intensity and 70% volume
If really beat up
70% of both

I tend to follow the same structure as swim tho from mike I.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Westside, at least the stuff Tate said they used to do, for a deload/lightened weak was skip the heavy work but pound the accessories. He always stressed that these weren't "easy" days but gave the joints and nervous system a big break. The muscles still got it as much or more than usual. You're not taking the drugs they were and you know what's best for you; just some input to consider.

I read some stuff by Dr. Mike Israel or CWS on JTS discussing that volume is harder on recovery than intensity though, which would lend itself towards your suggested deload. Remember Carroll is on more drugs for the 10 weeks leading into comp, so the deloads there are going to be better recovered than the off-season where he brings things back down - his layout follows the Westside philosophy more in that regard (assistance>specific volume).

Also, 2nd bench is the only attempt without an evenly spaced jump (would be 295 if so). Think about why you're leaning for that extra 5lbs and do what feels right. Part of me thinks you're not as confident about 315 as you'd like, so you're trying to hedge your bets for the extra 5lbs.
Lol westside. I take pretty all of their work with a grain of salt now. I'm so glad real research is coming to out and less of this drug fueled training. And this is from someone who did it religiously for 2 years. Its just not optimal what so ever. I don't support it for raw at all.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll probably roll with 70/100. 70 will allow a better break for the hips/shoulders. I just don't want to do TOO less on a deload. Then again, intensity is ramped up hard after this week, so a break won't be bad. I'll stick to what I've done before I suppose. Singles up to a moderately heavy weight (70-80%) and normal, but not as intense, assistance.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 weeks today with no nicotine. Usually, I get super lethargic and effort in the gym takes a hit. This time around, it's been easy. That, combined with not being a fat fuk every day, I have a bicep vein now so...
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1440448821.647023.jpg

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
And not to hate on westside/Dave tate, but a lot of the stuff I've heard them/him say is a$$ backwards. I, personally, wouldn't follow the majority of his/their advice. Again, not hating. Dave is an extremely likeable human being, but watching his seminars online I can't help but feel that he doesn't really know what he's talking about past a basic level. Not saying I do, but I don't try to act like I do.