Science of Burnouts, Tear Sets, Supersets, Giant Sets? Does It Ever Become Excessive?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Beyond opinion, is there any scientific info about burnouts, supersets, etc.

1. Starting Strength is probably the best strength method.

2. Many people would recommend mobility exercises or abdominal strengthening in-between sets, but no supersets, cardio, etc. as that would take away from the ergonomic benefit.

3. For the last of the five sets, a person could do more. I am thinking for something like squats:

a. End on a tear set, doing two or three more sets of varying weight, that a lifting can lift for 15 reps.

For example, 225 lbs for 5 times, 135 for 12-15 times, the bar for another 15 times.

b. Then, moving on to Leg Extension machines, 1 1/2s, using both legs.

c. Then, doing one leg, leg extensions, 1 1/2s, each legs.

4. So, instead of a final set of 5 (on the 5X5 workout), someone would be doing that final set and four or five extra things.

Is that a good idea?

5. Sorry to ask these basic questions. I just want to get to the science of the matter, not just opinions and rumors.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
...It certainly becomes excessive for the average natural trainee whom just needs to add weight to the bar on the main compound lifts

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, I just want to get results from my workout. I have lifted in the gym for 20 years, but I am still only average.

Yes, I have needed to take a year off from back injuries, there are sometimes no gyms nearby, etc.

I just want to know the pure truth about strength training, bodybuilding, fitness. There is so much junk in magazines, so many popular myths, etc.

Any reading material, besides Starting Strength and StrongLifts.com that can help teach me how to be the most successful?

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you keep a log book of your lifts?

I find that helps from time to time!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You aren't going to find a pure truth, just stick with something. You'd be better off just following some program and maintaining consistency than constantly questionioning everything (questioning in and of itself isn't wrong I of all people probably think too much as well).

Starting strength or a 5x5 is built on the thought of continual overload and is going to be more focused on strength than hypertrophy. You probably are leaving some hypertrophic benefits on the line, but the hope is you continue to recover from each session to allow continued increases down the line. Adding to it with drop sets may be viable, but also probably goes against the general principles and would most likely slow down the consistent progress. You would probably be better served attaining greater volume for those muscle groups through different exercises for added volume after the main sets.

That said I am not a huge proponent of SS so I could be getting it wrong, but you also aren't going to find an exact yes or no answer to these things, as again there are too many variables.

In short either just follow the program, but if you don't want to then do a different program or just make a plan yourself...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You aren't going to find a pure truth, just stick with something. You'd be better off just following some program and maintaining consistency than constantly questionioning everything (questioning in and of itself isn't wrong I of all people probably think too much as well).

Starting strength or a 5x5 is built on the thought of continual overload and is going to be more focused on strength than hypertrophy. You probably are leaving some hypertrophic benefits on the line, but the hope is you continue to recover from each session to allow continued increases down the line. Adding to it with drop sets may be viable, but also probably goes against the general principles and would most likely slow down the consistent progress. You would probably be better served attaining greater volume for those muscle groups through different exercises for added volume after the main sets.

That said I am not a huge proponent of SS so I could be getting it wrong, but you also aren't going to find an exact yes or no answer to these things, as again there are too many variables.

In short either just follow the program, but if you don't want to then do a different program or just make a plan yourself...
This covered it perfectly. SS isn't the best because there isn't a best. I think SS is a good starting point for most and you'll learn what does and doesn't work for you personally. Experiment and tailor the program to your specific physiology and goals.