Scar Heals, Topicals?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Anyone have a good solution for healing scars? I have one that's healing slowly near a tattoo I'd like to speed up the healing process on. I don't normally scar easily so I'm sorta surprised how bad this one stuck around. It's not super raised so I'm optimistic it can be healed in reasonable time periods.

Maybe bag balm? Or??

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How long has it been there for?

You said that it isn't super raised - is it raised at all, indented?

There is no one things fits all answer for scars and it can depend on the person and sometimes the type of scar.

After my accident last year, I had done a lot of research on this and if you really look into it, you'll see that some people praise certain things and swear that others don't work, but then the next person may say the opposite; and sometimes this results in some heated arguments on the subject. The people arguing over it may truly believe what they're saying because it may be accurate based off of their own experiences - but instead of arguing over which is best, this is a great example of the old analogy of different things working different for different people and there not really being one true best.

Some common things one can try are cocoa butter, vitamin e oil, silicone sheets or gels, silver gels, & coconut oil.

For me, I had some really bad scarring from where the bone came through the skin and other cuts and abrasions, and I'd actually for the smaller ones tried certain things on one and certain on the other just to see which worked better for me.

For the smaller scars, a combination of cocoa butter twice a day and Vitamin e oil once a day worked well.

For the ones that looked like road rash type scarring, silvadene, a prescription burn cream worked well and would also be the best option for scars from burns.

Whatever you buy, don't spend a fortune on the very expensive options and if you're going to buy something to try, make sure its pure. For example:
- If you want to go with cocoa butter, don't get a cream or lotion, get a cocoa butter stick.
- If you want to go with coconut oil, get NOW Foods 100% coconut oil (its a solid).
- If you want to go with a silver cream, get a prescription for silvadene or Silverbiotics makes a good gel.
- If you want to go with Vitamin E oil, don't get a blend, go with just Vitamin E Oil (NOW Foods and Jason are good options)

I hope that helps.

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Retinoids can be very good for reducing scarring. The strongest one available otc is adapalene, brand name Differin. It used to be available only by prescription, but they released it in half strength. You’d probably get the same results as the rx version by using it twice a day. Moisturizing is very important with retinoids because it’s often irritating for people, especially at the beginning. People tend to adjust to it after a month or two though.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How long has it been there for?

You said that it isn't super raised - is it raised at all, indented?

There is no one things fits all answer for scars and it can depend on the person and sometimes the type of scar.

After my accident last year, I had done a lot of research on this and if you really look into it, you'll see that some people praise certain things and swear that others don't work, but then the next person may say the opposite; and sometimes this results in some heated arguments on the subject. The people arguing over it may truly believe what they're saying because it may be accurate based off of their own experiences - but instead of arguing over which is best, this is a great example of the old analogy of different things working different for different people and there not really being one true best.

Some common things one can try are cocoa butter, vitamin e oil, silicone sheets or gels, silver gels, & coconut oil.

For me, I had some really bad scarring from where the bone came through the skin and other cuts and abrasions, and I'd actually for the smaller ones tried certain things on one and certain on the other just to see which worked better for me.

For the smaller scars, a combination of cocoa butter twice a day and Vitamin e oil once a day worked well.

For the ones that looked like road rash type scarring, silvadene, a prescription burn cream worked well and would also be the best option for scars from burns.

Whatever you buy, don't spend a fortune on the very expensive options and if you're going to buy something to try, make sure its pure. For example:
- If you want to go with cocoa butter, don't get a cream or lotion, get a cocoa butter stick.
- If you want to go with coconut oil, get NOW Foods 100% coconut oil (its a solid).
- If you want to go with a silver cream, get a prescription for silvadene or Silverbiotics makes a good gel.
- If you want to go with Vitamin E oil, don't get a blend, go with just Vitamin E Oil (NOW Foods and Jason are good options)

I hope that helps.
about 6 months and half of it has almost disappeared. over the winter heavy deadlifts I could feel a stretching in the scar (it's on my bicep) like the scar wanted to tear. It hasn't done that in a month now which i think is good. Thank you for the tips!

I completely missed discussion about your accident. bone through the skin?! holy **** man!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
about 6 months and half of it has almost disappeared. over the winter heavy deadlifts I could feel a stretching in the scar (it's on my bicep) like the scar wanted to tear. It hasn't done that in a month now which i think is good. Thank you for the tips!

I completely missed discussion about your accident. bone through the skin?! holy **** man!
Last February I was ran over by a car and it broke my right shoulder and broke my right leg in 3 places. It broke the Fibula above the ankle and below the knee so that it was basically a free floating bone - they had to do a wire to attach it back where it was supposed to be. Then the tibia was completely snapped and came out through the calf muscle.

I remember trying to stand to get out of the road and my ankle flopped sideways and at first I thought the lower part of my leg was gone. I remember sitting there getting the bone out from where it had went through my sweatpants. It sucked. I was airlifted and spent 10 days in the hospital, 5 weeks in a wheelchair, 6 months physical therapy 5 days a week, and I'm still in the process of learning how to walk again.

There were all sorts incisions and cuts and scrapes so I tried a lot of different options for scarring. The worse one was where when they took the stitches out where the put the rod in, my entire shin came back open and since they don't like to re-stitch over metal rod, they had to do a slow heal where my entire shin was open ankle to almost knee from March until close to the end of October.

Based on what you said about your scar and my experience, I would put Cocoa butter stick (pure) on it twice per day and then Vitamin E oil (pure - Jason or NOW Foods brands) once a day. I think that would help with the scarring and also the dexterity.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Just put a tattoo over it and call it a day. Maybe a Keibler Elf holding a nightstick? Or a one of those spitting dinosaurs from jurassic park!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Last February I was ran over by a car and it broke my right shoulder and broke my right leg in 3 places. It broke the Fibula above the ankle and below the knee so that it was basically a free floating bone - they had to do a wire to attach it back where it was supposed to be. Then the tibia was completely snapped and came out through the calf muscle.

I remember trying to stand to get out of the road and my ankle flopped sideways and at first I thought the lower part of my leg was gone. I remember sitting there getting the bone out from where it had went through my sweatpants. It sucked. I was airlifted and spent 10 days in the hospital, 5 weeks in a wheelchair, 6 months physical therapy 5 days a week, and I'm still in the process of learning how to walk again.

There were all sorts incisions and cuts and scrapes so I tried a lot of different options for scarring. The worse one was where when they took the stitches out where the put the rod in, my entire shin came back open and since they don't like to re-stitch over metal rod, they had to do a slow heal where my entire shin was open ankle to almost knee from March until close to the end of October.

Based on what you said about your scar and my experience, I would put Cocoa butter stick (pure) on it twice per day and then Vitamin E oil (pure - Jason or NOW Foods brands) once a day. I think that would help with the scarring and also the dexterity.
HOLY **** MAN I'm glad you are ALIVE that is crazy! I can't imagine the shock factor that came into play trying to put your damn bone away! I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. I'm glad you are OK, what a hell of a recovery process man. I'm much less concerned about my scar now...

Just put a tattoo over it and call it a day. Maybe a Keibler Elf holding a nightstick? Or a one of those spitting dinosaurs from jurassic park!
lol sorta the plan, I'll try to remember to snap a picture of it later it's in the upper bicep so it's just a weird place and I figured trying to heal it first might be smart, especially when the skin was stretching/tearing last month from deads, but it seems to be better now

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
HOLY **** MAN I'm glad you are ALIVE that is crazy! I can't imagine the shock factor that came into play trying to put your damn bone away! I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. I'm glad you are OK, what a hell of a recovery process man. I'm much less concerned about my scar now...

lol sorta the plan, I'll try to remember to snap a picture of it later it's in the upper bicep so it's just a weird place and I figured trying to heal it first might be smart, especially when the skin was stretching/tearing last month from deads, but it seems to be better now
Like inner bicep? If you were Doing a front double bicep the part you would see facing forward? My buddy has a tattoo there of a old time sailing ship lol

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No UV light exposure. If outside ensure clothing covers it has SPF rating. Otherwise Scarguard has worked for decades.