Samples Idea

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had an idea I thought I would share. It's possible this has already been done before or it even exists? Maybe cost-wise this wouldn't make sense for companies but for the consumer, I think it makes a ton of sense.

I'm proposing starting a site that would sell only samples of products. Any company can send this website their samples and it would be the one-stop shop for any and all kinds of samples.

I've wasted so much money on aminos and proteins I didn't care for the taste. Pre-workouts that just didn't live up to the billing.

I know some companies offer samples of their products on their own websites but why not have one trusted place where you can find all samples in one place from all different brands?

Anybody with me on this?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I had an idea I thought I would share. It's possible this has already been done before or it even exists? Maybe cost-wise this wouldn't make sense for companies but for the consumer, I think it makes a ton of sense.

I'm proposing starting a site that would sell only samples of products. Any company can send this website their samples and it would be the one-stop shop for any and all kinds of samples.

I've wasted so much money on aminos and proteins I didn't care for the taste. Pre-workouts that just didn't live up to the billing.

I know some companies offer samples of their products on their own websites but why not have one trusted place where you can find all samples in one place from all different brands?

Anybody with me on this?
back in the day supplement companies would send samples to the supplement sites and they would add to orders...problem is a lot of the employees were adding those samples to their personal stash...i used to know guys who worked at GNC and VITAMIN SHOP who had garbage bags full of samples that they would use and sell on the side--i know this because i used to buy samples that were supposed to be given out for free from them.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like this idea. I used to get loads of samples with orders and some websites even had sample pages where you could choose and add samples to your basket for like £1-£2 each.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The issue is that from a business side, there's no way you'd be able to make much (if any) money doing this.... You have to figure all the costs in:
1) raws
2) labels/containers
3) production
4) shipping (worst case: to a company first, then to a vendor; best case, direct to vendor)
5) storage (wouldn't be much but still an overhead cost)
6) website (gotta have a way to sell)
7) merchant fees (credit cards, etc)
8) shipping (again, to customers)

By the time you get it to a customer its gonna cost too much to be worth it. Companies that do have samples 99.9% of the time are losing money on them. Even more fi they're making them in smaller amounts as the production costs rise.

It's a great idea, but would never be profitable.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unfortunately I agree with boon. Yeah ther companies have the sample pack boxes
Or whatever but it’s just a crapshoot on what you get. Great idea though

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Anybody with me on this?
I like the idea man!

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The issue is that from a business side, there's no way you'd be able to make much (if any) money doing this.... You have to figure all the costs in:
1) raws
2) labels/containers
3) production
4) shipping (worst case: to a company first, then to a vendor; best case, direct to vendor)

By the time you get it to a customer its gonna cost too much to be worth it. Companies that do have samples 99.9% of the time are losing money on them. Even more fi they're making them in smaller amounts as the production costs rise.

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
1) raws
2) labels/containers
3) production

the idea is promotion...supp companies would give the samples to the venders and they could include in orders-no additional shipping expense...the benefit of doing this is that if the sample is good most would buy--with the selection of supplements to choose from this gives the company supplying samples a advantange.

this practice used to be widespread throughout the supplement industry, before internet influencers, lol.

nutraplanet back when sam was owner was the king of this, used to love all the samples they would throw in, this was good for nutraplanet also since other major retail sites weren't nearly as generous with samples...believe it or not the samples were one reason people bought from nutraplanet-the expectation of those generous samples.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
the idea is promotion...supp companies would give the samples to the venders and they could include in orders-no additional shipping expense...the benefit of doing this is that if the sample is good most would buy--with the selection of supplements to choose from this gives the company supplying samples a advantange.

this practice used to be widespread throughout the supplement industry, before internet influencers, lol.

nutraplanet back when sam was owner was the king of this, used to love all the samples they would throw in, this was good for nutraplanet also since other major retail sites weren't nearly as generous with samples...believe it or not the samples were one reason people bought from nutraplanet-the expectation of those generous samples.
For sure it's all about promotion, but that's simply a cost (like marketing). To have a business that runs solely on that wouldn't be possible.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the idea behind companies like liftbox and the like. Fresh samples every month. Like said cost of producing this is higher especially now. Many companies sell samples. I think they charge way to much for them, but that’s why I choose not to purchase from those companies.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll give an example why samples are worth it for a company:

When GHOST came out with the Chips Ahoy, I bought a tub. It was terrible. I swore never again would I get burned by them.

Eventually they changed the flavoring but I was hesitant to buy another tub. Instead, I bought a sample. The sample was good enough for me to then buy a tub and I buy a tub from them every month now.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
For sure it's all about promotion, but that's simply a cost (like marketing). To have a business that runs solely on that wouldn't be possible.
no, man...not talking about a business running solely on samples-i must not be making myself understood clearly...i am talking about supplement companies sending individual serving sized samples of products to vendors for them to put in orders being shipped out....the way nutraplanet did it-surely you remember that?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Anybody with me on this?
From the consumer end, it does sound like a great idea.

From a business end, it's not a good idea.

The honest straight forward answer here is that the companies that can afford to give out a lot of samples are the companies that have a huge amount of markup built into their products to be able to do so. For companies that try to offer very low and cost effective prices, most just can't afford to do it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
no, man...not talking about a business running solely on samples-i must not be making myself understood clearly...i am talking about supplement companies sending individual serving sized samples of products to vendors for them to put in orders being shipped out....the way nutraplanet did it-surely you remember that?
Toward the end, even Sam got to where he charged .99 or 1.99 or most of them.

In general, the problem is that a lot of retailers don't really include them. A company winds up sending hundreds of dollars of samples and then the samples get tossed, used by employees, or sit on a shelf somewhere.

In the future, when things settle down a bit on the supply end of things, we may offer some samples again but we would likely only offer them directly thru our website and probably charge something like 1.99 for them or something like that. When someone pays for something, even if its a trivial cost, they are more likely to actually try it and use it whereas a lot of the ones that get sent for free never get used.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

In general, the problem is that a lot of retailers don't really include them. A company winds up sending hundreds of dollars of samples and then the samples get tossed, used by employees, or sit on a shelf somewhere.

In the future, when things settle down a bit on the supply end of things, we may offer some samples again but we would likely only offer them directly thru our website and probably charge something like 1.99 for them or something like that. When someone pays for something, even if its a trivial cost, they are more likely to actually try it and use it whereas a lot of the ones that get sent for free never get used.
How much does it honestly cost to ship a few sample packs? I don’t mind paying a few bills but then some companies will charge $10 to ship that little sample! That’s insane and I always cancel

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
]

i got tons of samples from nutraplanet when sam owned and i bought a bunch of products based on samples that i probably would not have bought if not for the samples...when mike took over that is when samples stopped.

very few companies even offer logging opportunities any more, i can remember when there were a LOT of logging opportunities--to get someone to do a month long log seems like a lot of bang for the buck for supp companies for very little cost-very cheap advertizing, imo.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
From the consumer end, it does sound like a great idea.

From a business end, it's not a good idea.

The honest straight forward answer here is that the companies that can afford to give out a lot of samples are the companies that have a huge amount of markup built into their products to be able to do so. For companies that try to offer very low and cost effective prices, most just can't afford to do it.
i remember when pes was 1st starting out with just 1 product-ERASE...nattydisaster had sample packets made up and nutra put them in several of my orders...i think this worked out pretty well for him. natty also gave out several bottles for logging opportunities also.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the idea behind companies like liftbox and the like. Fresh samples every month. Like said cost of producing this is higher especially now. Many companies sell samples. I think they charge way to much for them, but that’s why I choose not to purchase from those companies.
I recall @Rocket3015 posting pics of little boxes of goodies like this in the “in the mail” thread, although I’m not sure what the boxes are called.

If it were financially viable to just order samples, I’d be in for sure. But regarding the free samples, I think it was Proflex Sports who used to send samples with their orders and I know, for me, I discovered many things I wasn’t going to buy because of the samples lol. I recently ordered BFF Vasoblitz and it came with a sample of a different flavor of Vasoblitz, and a sample of Fullblitz. Stuff like that always makes my day.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How much does it honestly cost to ship a few sample packs? I don’t mind paying a few bills but then some companies will charge $10 to ship that little sample! That’s insane and I always cancel
On average, if just samples 4.00 to 6.00. There are several reasons - if you do the just throw it in an envelope and put a stamp on it way, people complain they don't get tracking. So that confines you to a way where it is tracked. Then for capsules, if you put it in a padded envelope, they almost always get crushed.

Agreed that it doesn't cost 10.00 but its also not as cheap as some people thing for the above reasons.

I think the thinking of most companies is that you won't just be buying samples. For example, when we offered Focus XT samples for a very short time, I only remember a couple times ever someone just bought samples. They normally added the samples on to a larger order and in that case, the samples didn't effect the shipping price at all bc we were just putting them in the box with a larger order.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
i got tons of samples from nutraplanet when sam owned and i bought a bunch of products based on samples that i probably would not have bought if not for the samples...when mike took over that is when samples stopped.

very few companies even offer logging opportunities any more, i can remember when there were a LOT of logging opportunities--to get someone to do a month long log seems like a lot of bang for the buck for supp companies for very little cost-very cheap advertizing, imo.
I do remember that for a long time Sam sent out a lot of free samples. But I know for a fact that Sam started charging for them the last year or two. I know that because I took issue with him selling samples that I sent him for free to be included in packages. I spoke with him about it personally; so I know 100% I'm right on this. But his reason did make sense - samples were getting harder to come by by most companies and he felt that if people paid something even trivial for them, it showed they really wanted them and they would be more likely to buy and use them versus throwing them away.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do remember that for a long time Sam sent out a lot of free samples. But I know for a fact that Sam started charging for them the last year or two. I know that because I took issue with him selling samples that I sent him for free to be included in packages. I spoke with him about it personally; so I know 100% I'm right on this. But his reason did make sense - samples were getting harder to come by by most companies and he felt that if people paid something even trivial for them, it showed they really wanted them and they would be more likely to buy and use them versus throwing them away.
all i know is that every order i ever received from nutraplanet when sam owned had samples included with the order--maybe sam just liked me, lol.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I forgot to reply to this part of your post in my last reply.

Simple answer to this one - because companies have gotten screwed so many times by people who were supposed to log things. We used to give out a lot of free product for logs and that's why we stopped.

We've had so many people not fulfill logging or even review obligations; we even at one point had a competing company that would offer rep positions to anyone running logs on our products just to get them to do a bad log. It was ridiculous and it became like a full time babysitting job to make sure it got done. If you remember MW, that's one of the reasons he got frustrated and quit posting was crap like that.

And then, if you do have certain people you trust but you send them things over and over, the logs look more biased if the same person is doing sponsored log after sponsored log.

Here's a good example - I've had a long standing offer - if you buy an SNS or CEL product and do a detailed log and a review when you're done on social media, if its a quality review and you like the product, I'll send you a free bottle as a thank you. Yet hardly anyone ever has taken me up on that to the point where I just quit mentioning it.

Plus, if you look at the views that some great logs get, people don't follow them as much anymore. I really do think its because the average persons attention span isn't what it used to be. People used to love to follow long detailed logs and now, most people would rather just read an end review. A great example of this is that in all my years in this industry and on the forums, @TheMrMuscle has one of the best ongoing logs I have EVER seen and if you look at the views, it doesn't get nearly what it should. And his log isn't anything at all sponsored; he does it because he likes inspiring and helping people and his attention to detail is incredible.

i remember when pes was 1st starting out with just 1 product-ERASE...nattydisaster had sample packets made up and nutra put them in several of my orders...i think this worked out pretty well for him. natty also gave out several bottles for logging opportunities also.
Another reason the sample thing cut back is that making sample packs yourself and sending them out now days is an absolute no-no from an FDA standpoint. If you open a bottle and start making sample packs, they literally consider you in the same category as manufacturing. So to an owner trying to follow GMP guidelines that doesn't manufacture, they would either have to create a whole new set of guidelines (thousands of dollars to do so) just to do samples or they would literally be risking their business by doing it. So basically, by FDA guidelines, all samples are supposed to be done by the contract manufacturer now and the minimums are normally 5k units for capsules and 2k units per individual flavor of powders. For example, we looked at doing samples for Thermagize XT - the minimum run is 5k sample packs. So that would be tying up close to 5k just in samples alone. For me personally, I'd rather put that money towards launching new exciting products.

(I'm not disagreeing with your viewpoint at all; just offering an explanation as to why its not as simple as it used to be back when he used to do that).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
yes, of course. I was just referring to the OP's proposal of a sample-selling-only company/business model.

I 100% agree with you on the company self-selling/marketing via samples

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
yes, of course. I was just referring to the OP's proposal of a sample-selling-only company/business model.

I 100% agree with you on the company self-selling/marketing via samples
I agree, brother.
Free samples included from a company you're buying from, is good marketing business, when it can be done.

And a business set up to sell samples really isn't viable.

The only way people have really made money on that (in a stand-alone way), is when they stole the samples.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sample selling is a good idea but I don't like the idea of sending thousands to vendors that you never know what they are doing with them. Also sample production is a bitch and you really don't make money on them especially after shipping. In addition the MOQ for a brand to make samples is high. Talking 10,000 per flavor and sometimes get lucky and can do 5,000 unit runs. (Per flavor)

We sell a ton of samples monthly. I consider them like handing out business cards ... everyone loves samples and they have no issue paying for them because the customer saves money in the long run so they have no issues buying them.

But yeah sending thousands to online vendors and not able track who gets them is a fast way to lose money. Just my 2 cents.