Safety of supposedly "safe" supplements?

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing some reading about supplements that have been around for years and their safety.

I have come across some stuff that makes me wonder how safe they actually are.

I do not mean supplements like Yohimbine which are definitely not safe, but stuff like ecdysterone and tribulus.

This report seems to be about ecdysterone, but mentions ecdysone/ecdysteroid. Are all these names interchangable?

This report has a case where a male patient damaged his kidneys and went into renal failure taking tribulus. It says he was supplementing with tribulus water, whatever that is, I do not know.

Maybe these reports are just sensationalistic, but it does make me wonder about some of the stuff I take and have taken.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have been doing some reading about supplements that have been around for years and their safety.

I do not mean supplements like Yohimbine which are definitely not safe, but stuff like ecdysterone and tribulus.

This report seems to be about ecdysterone, but mentions ecdysone/ecdysteroid. Are all these names interchangable?

This report has a case where a male patient damaged his kidneys and went into renal failure taking tribulus. It says he was supplementing with tribulus water, whatever that is, I do not know.

Maybe these reports are just sensationalistic, but it does make me wonder about some of the stuff I take and have taken.
the ecdy study was looking at alpha-ecdy, not beta-ecdy (20E)

“Although the MOE-based 3D molecular modeling and simulations in this study predicted that ecdysone targets the LBD domain of MR, as occurred with aldosterone, future binding analysis is required to validate whether ecdysone might act directly as a ligand to MR. Within invertebrates ecdysone has low affinity for the nuclear hormone receptor EcR (pIC50 = 4.7) and does not serve directly as a regulatory ligand [42]. Rather, ecdysone is converted to 20E within target cells, and 20E binds to EcR (pIC50 = 6.6). In contrast to this paradigm, we found that 20E produced no phenotypes in our cellular assays while ecdysone itself was strikingly potent. If ecdysone indeed binds to MR, its structure must uniquely mimic an activating feature of aldosterone that is absent from 20E, where ecdysone and 20E differ only in the addition of a hydroxyl group at C-20.”

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Let me show you something,

Screenshot_20220813-072013~2.png

Screenshot_20220813-072142~3.png

Screenshot_20220813-072429~2.png

Do you know what dangerous supplement these are from...... Vitamin C

If you look hard enough everything is bad, will cause cancer or make your ears fall off.

Take it with a grain of salt