Routine to destroy my obliques.

Loneyboy

Banned
Awards
Alright, so I have really really ****ty obliques, and now that it's winter bulk season, it's time to do something about that. Basically, I'm looking for a few exercises or training methods that have worked for you to really target your obliques. When I flex they seem to disappear, and it makes my core like like **** overall, so any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sideways hypers on the extension bench. Side planks. Weighted overhead bends. Bent over stick twists.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
image-1350779886.jpg

I hop on a decline bench lift my butt off the bench n pump out 20 tight, slow crunches ( 4 sets of those).
It was quite difficult at first.. Sometimes my butt would drop back to the bench after 2 reps...
That's ok , it did get easier..
Good results! Builds great core strength IMO...
:)

Loneyboy

Banned
Awards
Sideways hypers on the extension bench. Side planks. Weighted overhead bends. Bent over stick twists.
Haven't tried these yet. Will throw them in next workout. thanks!

any info on certain rep ranges being more effective, tempo, etc? or just a wide variety overall?

Loneyboy

Banned
Awards
View attachment 107561

I hop on a decline bench lift my butt off the bench n pump out 20 tight, slow crunches ( 4 sets of those).
It was quite difficult at first.. Sometimes my butt would drop back to the bench after 2 reps...
That's ok , it did get easier..
Good results! Builds great core strength IMO...
Thanks! looking great by the way! so you use your leg strength to keep your butt raised off the decline bench? and then just normal crunches?

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks! looking great by the way! so you use your leg strength to keep your butt raised off the decline bench? and then just normal crunches?
Yes sir! It works the quads pretty good...
Try it! I promise it's worth it.

I've been doing this for about 6 months, n I'm finally up to where I can hold a 25 in my hands, lol...
Also if u wanna make it more difficult just keep arms up , holy hell, what a burn..
My lower back was a bit sore when I first started
But the pain goes away n the strength keeps building..
The guy that showed me this has an 8 pack n obliques outta this world...

max d

Awards
  • Established
Just my two cents but doing direct ab work isn't all that beneficial. If you don't want big obliques lose weight until you get the look you desire. Genetics play a big role on where you lose weight as it has been proven that direct exercise to a body part is pretty insignificant for targeting fat loss.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squat and deadlift heavier, your obliques will thicken right up. Also, I like heavy ass dumbbell side bends. Biggest dumbbell in the gym for five sets of 20.

Loneyboy

Banned
Awards
Just my two cents but doing direct ab work isn't all that beneficial. If you don't want big obliques lose weight until you get the look you desire. Genetics play a big role on where you lose weight as it has been proven that direct exercise to a body part is pretty insignificant for targeting fat loss.
Body fat isn't an issue for me right now, I can see all 6 abs and some of my lower 2 when flexing. All of my compound movements are done as heavy as possible with a 5/3/1 progression, and that definitely is helping. But 4 years ago I was 5'10 100 pounds, no lie, and I neglected any ab work through that whole time. Now when I flex, my taper dips in just below my ribs, and you can definitely tell that there is muscle missing there. I'm not relying solely on direct work but they need all the help they can get.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
dr stuart mcgill has shown repeatedly that side planks and suitecase deads do far more than other movement based oblique work. like those silly side bends people do.

also, pallof presses are cool.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
dr stuart mcgill has shown repeatedly that side planks and suitecase deads do far more than other movement based oblique work. like those silly side bends people do. also, pallof presses are cool.
This is true! Like me i used to carry my gymbag in just my right hand and in turn it lead to my left oblique being slightly larger! Lol
Now i swap hands!