Routine critique

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
So I’m trying more of a hypertrophy approach to things this time around. Years ago I was all about numbers, but this time I’m doing cardio, trying to eat right, squeezing the muscle, trying to build a better physique…

I wanted to get opinions here. This is the first five day per week program I’ve done in years but I wanted to add variation and try to stay motivated.

Monday: Upper Body
DB Flat Bench- 3X10
Row Variation- 3X10
Incline DB Press- 3X8
Lat Pulldown- 3X10
Flies- 3X10
Straight Arm Pulldown- 3X10

Tuesday- Lower Body
Squat- 3X5
Single leg press- 3X8
Trap bar deadlift- 3X5
Hanging Leg Raise- 3X10
Ball Twists- 3X10
Calf Raises- 3X10

Wednesday- Arms
CGBP- 3X10
EZ Bar Curl- 3X10
Rope Pulldown- 3X10
Incline DB Curl 1 1/2- 3X10
OH Tri Extension- 3X10
Hammer Curl- 3X10

Thursday- HIIT

Friday- Upper Body
BB Flat Press- 3X8
Row Variation- 3X8
DB Seated Press- 3X8
Straight Arm Pulldown- 3X10
Decline DB Press- 3X10
Assisted Pull-ups- 3X10

Saturday- Lower Body
Deadlift- 3X5
Front Squat- 3X5
Step Ups- 3X8
Calf Raise- 3X10
Hanging Leg Raise- 3X10
Ball Twists- 3X10

On the Upper Day PMs, I do HIIT in the evenings. Thoughts?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Unfortunately I don’t have much advice as I’m pretty new and not a lot of experience in programs.

If it keeps you motivated and you find this routine keeps you going I would stick with it for a while then tweak as performance improves.

Sorry not much help.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Before I answer, how long have you been out the gym, how recently did you get back into the gym and what's your current training.

Because if you only been back at it for a short period and not training in a grove yet, that looks like too much to dive straight into if your pushing hard on your sets.

There's nothing inherently bad about the set up. All routine can work if your consistent and adding weight, sets or reps. Some form of overload over time. But it seems like a little much to dive head first on unless your already back at full steam.

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
Before I answer, how long have you been out the gym, how recently did you get back into the gym and what's your current training.

Because if you only been back at it for a short period and not training in a grove yet, that looks like too much to dive straight into if your pushing hard on your sets.

There's nothing inherently bad about the set up. All routine can work if your consistent and adding weight, sets or reps. Some form of overload over time. But it seems like a little much to dive head first on unless your already back at full steam.
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe run something like starting strength for a few weeks first?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe run something like starting strength for a few weeks first?
Or you could just modify what you got there,

Upper on Monday, lower on Wednesday, arms on Friday. Squeeze in some cardio somewhere, maybe do some sprints or hiking or something active on Saturday too.

Do that for a bit and then switch into the program above. This way you're learning what reps and sets and weights you're going to be using for all these exercises and you don't have to switch a whole program you just build onto the program

DinnerTable

DinnerTable

Awards
I have found that a 4x upper/lower is what works very well for me. It is very comparable to OPs split, but I do arms on lower body days. So it will look like
Monday - Upper (vertical movement focus)
Tuesday - Lower (Deadlift/hamstring focus, abs + triceps)
Wednesday - Morning Cardio (LISS treadmill)
Thursday - Upper (horizontal movement focus)
Friday - Lower (Squat/quad focus, calves + biceps)
Saturday - Morning Carido (LISS treadmill)
Sunday - rest

I find I keep gaining strength and reps at a decent rate.