Answered Rounding upper back on deadlift and need advice

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I make a chest up, yet my back always rounds. I have tight hamstrings and tight shoulders. I do not feel pressure in my low back, but in my left si joint(sometimes) and upper back sometimes the day AFTER lifts.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Setup setup setup!!

1. Awesome for getting a workout in when you can!

Ok, so recommendations.
SETUP:
1. Butt lower to start
2. Pull scraps back
3. Tighter abs. Use your air and diaphragm to set your core.
4. Neutralize the angle of your head (don’t look forward or straight down) Look at a target on the floor 10-15 feet in front of you.
5. SLOW DOWN YOUR SET UP. Got through the motions methodically. Your 50% should look like your 1RM.

PULL:
1. Pull some on the bar before applying full power.
Your power should look like this:
(20%....bar slightly bending.....100% pull) this process takes only half a second but it’s important for setting your body position.
2. Legs and hips need to move at the same time. No stripper deadlifts!!! (Not legs then back)
2. Keep head neutral on the pull
3. Keeps scaps back

I’d highly suggest you get on YouTube and watch a bunch of videos from good powerlifters and coaches. It appears you are mostly lifting at home. If you want to do more of this seriously maybe look into a gym that does this regularly. Such as powerlifting or a good CrossFit gym.

Best of luck!

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ass down, head up, look up, pull hard, stand up, don’t bend.

liljohn

Awards
This is for programs not advice on excercises..

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Your upper back isn’t tight at all. You should be actively using your last to keep the bar close to you. When you’re setting up focus on keeping your scap retracted, nice and tight. When you’re initiating the pull imagine you have tennis balls between your armpits, and with your arms you’re trying to mash those tennis balls as you pull. That’ll help to activate your lats.

samhardy2008

Awards
Video from the side would give a little better angle. So the whole rounded upper back is a tricky thing man. I pulled rounded upper back I always have. But it works for me, pulled 640 pretty easily before so whatever I guess. The one thing that is universal for all deadlift forms and body types is every single muscle in your body needs to be tight when your hands touch the bar. Video yourself from the side and be honest with yourself. I’d say lower the weight to a moderate weight and just drill your form. Strengthen your upper back, build your back up with some rows and rack pulls. Hey even some quality shrugs with go a long way.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No one right now to film me from the side.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would agree that your Lats likely are not engaging

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A few things I have been doing to help with this.

1. When warming up, do standing pullovers with a light band,, focusing on squeezing at the bottom. This helps my lats get going so they flex when I am deadlifting.

2. Work on your upper back. Do pulldowns with different attachments and lean back a little and squeeze your upper back on the contraction. 6-8 reps per set.

3. Focus on rotating your elbows towards your body. Once you grab the bar, imagine, rotating your hands out, so your elbows go in towards your torso, you will feel your lats contract.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Simplest answer IMO. Lower the weight. Maybe it’s simply to heavy for you

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Simplest answer IMO. Lower the weight. Maybe it’s simply to heavy for you

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So Update: I couldn't lift the bar up earlier, at least with a conventional stance. I could not get the weight off the floor, even when lowering the weight down from 405 to 345. I lowered the weight down to 305 and switched to a sumo, or at least a more sumo style stance. I notcied that pulling from the floor and leaning back was WAY easier and put more pressure into my quads. Here is the new video and even though it doesn't look like a text book sumo deadlift, I think I am making progress and may be better off switching to the sumo style, as it is much easier to pull back for me in this style. Anyway, here is the new video.