Review & log of StraightUpKratom's new Candid Orange extract-based instant drink mix and new Special House Blend

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In this thread, I will be reviewing and logging two new products from StraightUpKratom: their new Candid Orange extract-based instant drink mix (think the kratom equivalent of Crystal Light) as well as their new Special House Blend powdered kratom. I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize for the delay in posting the thread. The good news is that I have already had the opportunity to try both products, photos of which are posted below:

(Reserved for photo)
(Reserved for photo)

Reviews based on my initial experiences using both products are written below:

Candid Orange Drink Mix

I finally got around to trying this the other day. First, I'll comment on the drink mix's taste, since all of us who have used kratom in the past are more than familiar with the notoriously unpleasant taste of standard powdered kratom products, right? Well, I'm happy to say that if the unmistakably bad taste of powdered kratom makes you turn your nose up at the mere thought of taking kratom via the traditional "toss 'n' wash" method, then you'll be pleasantly surprised when you try Candid Orange. Like I mentioned above, Candid Orange is basically like a Crystal Light-esque method of delivering a kratom dose. If I had to compare the flavor to that of another product, I'd say that it is reminiscent of Crystal Light's Sunrise Orange, which is one my favorite flavors out of the entire CL line (it's the only orange juice-flavored product I've come across that tastes good and doesn't pack 100+ calories per serving!). There is a hint of the trademark kratom bitterness, but it's very subtle and understated, especially in comparison to the strong, shudder-inducing bitterness of pure powdered kratom. Without a doubt, I can confidently say that this product offers the most palatable method of kratom use.

Next, I'd like to subjectively describe the effects I noticed from using Candid Orange, which I mixed in probably 5-6 oz. of water and took on an almost-empty stomach. I usually like to take kratom a couple hours before going to sleep (so usually red/orange strains) and just relax around the house while the kratom itself takes effect. About 25-30 minutes after drinking my Candid Orange sample, I noticed a mild sense of euphoria, along with a sense of well-being and very mild feeling of stimulation. If I had to compare the effects of Candid Orange to a kratom strain, I'd say it's probably somewhere between a faster orange strain and a slower yellow strain (but without being too stim-intense in its effects like certain white strains can be).

Overall, I'd say that Candid Orange is a solid option for anyone who wants to experience the general broad spectrum of kratom's effects, without any of those effects being too strongly pronounced. It's a great any-time-of-day product, in other words.

Special House Blend

Next, I'll go ahead and review the 200g bag of the new Special House Blend StraightUpKratom was generous enough to send me. My understanding is that this product is a blend of red and orange strains. It's a product comprised of pure powdered kratom, so I think it goes without saying that it would be wishful thinking to expect it to taste good. In regards to dosing, I usually take a total of maybe 10-12g divided into 3 doses that are all spread out over the course of 1 - 1.5 hours.

When I tried it for the first time the other day, I prepared the first dose of 3-4g via my go-to method of toss-'n'-wash and drank it on a mostly empty stomach. About 30 minutes later, I noticed the unmistakable kratom euphoria and noticed my mindset become progressively more positive in its outlook. Around this time, I took the second 3-4g dose and noticed these effects intensify. Finally, around 40 minutes later, I took the final 3-4g dose and noticed the same effects as before, but with a calmer edge. Overall, I would summarize the effects of this blend as being similar to a slightly fast red strain; it's calming enough that you can take it and lay down to go to sleep, and yet at the same time, it's not so heavy that it incapacitates you like heavier red strains are known to do.

Throughout the coming days and weeks, I will be updating this thread with my continued experiences using the Special House Blend 2-3 days per week. Thanks again to StraightUpKratom for giving me the opportunity to try these new products!

ndiguy

ndiguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do you mind me asking how long you've been taking kratom?

I'd imagine your tolerance is pretty high once you're consuming 10-12 grams in a day?

(New to the stuff, have been at 4g per day)

Thanks in advance

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you mind me asking how long you've been taking kratom?

I'd imagine your tolerance is pretty high once you're consuming 10-12 grams in a day?

(New to the stuff, have been at 4g per day)

Thanks in advance
I first tried it in January of 2019 with a dose of 1 TBSP of powdered kratom; I'm assuming this was probably around 8g of kratom since the scoop wasn't tightly packed. For the most part, I try to stick to a two days on/two days off routine to keep my tolerance from skyrocketing.

I did develop a fairly significant amount of tolerance by taking it every day from mid-March until almost mid-June, so at that point I went "cold turkey" and took a near-two-week tolerance break. Ever since my tolerance break I've been sticking to the aforementioned two days on/two days off dosing schedule and it seems to be keeping my tolerance from getting out of hand. Still not feeling my doses like I did when I first start using it back in early 2019, though. I imagine it would require a tolerance break of at least several months long to get back to that.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So since I last posted, I took a short tolerance break that lasted for a couple days and then took three 1.5-tsp doses of the Special House Blend within a 2-hr period of time on two back-to-back days. Aside from taking tolerance breaks, I also like to keep my dosing within a short window on days when I do use kratom.

I would say that my most recent experiences with using SUK's Special House Blend reinforce what I noticed before about the blend providing a mild sense of relaxation that isn't too heavy (like what you might notice with red Bali) along with the classic smooth kratom euphoria. It also seems to do a solid job of relieving pain associated with mild injuries, like my 5+ year-old small meniscus tear in my knee that has mostly healed but still gives me some nagging pain from time to time. I've noticed that about 30 minutes after taking a dose of the Special House Blend, it feels no different from my uninjured knee.

I'm actually coming off another two-day tolerance break and look forward to another two- or three-day run of Special House Blend that I'll be starting tomorrow morning (probably about 21 hours from now). Also, now that the pool is finally swimming-ready, I'm looking forward to going for a short swim after taking my first dose in the morning. This is something I really looked forward to doing last summer.

Speaking of tolerance breaks and on a related note, is anyone aware of any good methods for reducing tolerance and/or potentiating kratom? So far I've tried taking it with curcumin and bioperine and haven't noticed much of a difference. Would really love to get back to where I was when I first started using kratom back in early 2019.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For the last two days' worth of dosing, I tried something different in an attempt to enhance the effects of each dose, which was prepare them via the "red bubble" method where you mix the kratom powder with a small amount of water and lemon/lime juice and then freeze it for an hour or two. When done correctly, this apparently results in the formation of a red ring at the top of the mixture, which is supposedly comprised of a high concentration of alkaloids.

I noticed a faint red ring when I tried this with Friday's dose, but I didn't see one at all after trying the method with Saturday's dose. I can't really say if I noticed much of a difference in terms of subjective effects with either dose, though.

So now I'll be taking a tolerance break for the next two days and will take my next dose on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I apologize for the lack of updates; I've been fairly busy with studying for an important professional exam and have only been taking kratom sporadically. I also discovered that I really enjoy taking maybe 1.5 tsp of the Special House Blend, waiting a few minutes, and then going swimming. The positive mindset effects from the kratom really seem to make the experience more enjoyable.

I'll be taking my next dose tomorrow after having taken a brief tolerance break over the last 2 days, and then I'll be going out of town on a short trip for a few days, during which I won't be taking any kratom. At this point, I won't be taking my next dose until Friday morning, so I'm curious to see if taking an extra couple of days off will help to reduce my tolerance even more.