Reverse Dieting (first time, should I increase calories?)

danielvp

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hello everyone, doing my first reverse diet after a short cut, and it is going well but I could use some advice on whether I need to increase calories right now, and how I should transition into a lean bulk over the next month. Here is my weight/calories consumed/cardio performed over my cut and reverse diet.

Starting weight: 200.5 lbs

Week: Avg Weight: Calories/day: Cardio/week (fasted LISS):
Week 1 197.0 2300 420 min
Week 2 195.2 2300 390 min
Week 3 193.1 2300 400 min
Week 4 190.9 2300 300 min
Week 5 190.7 2600 320 min
Week 6 191.7 2700 200 min
Week 7 190.7 2700 210 min
Week 8 190.2 2700 200 min

I'm thinking I need to increase calories again(by 100 next week), but would like others advice. My plan is to start lean bulking in February at a 300-400 calorie daily surplus. Should I start increasing calories by 100 every week to slowly ease into it? Or just jump right into a 300-400 calorie surplus at the beginning of February? My goal is to stay lean and keep fat gain to a minimum, thank you in advance for any replies!

Last edited:
john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That is one hell of a consistent cut! Nice work. If your goal is to keep lean and minimize fat gain, I would slowly increase your calories (100cal per week) until you begin to see the scale move. Adding in 300-400 calories immediately isn't a massive increase, but you may see some unwanted fat gain from the spike in calories. I would keep it slow and steady, just like you did with your cut.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I personally would add 100 kcals per week rather than one 300-400 hike in calories but either way would work just personal preference

danielvp

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you! Think I will increase daily calories by 100 every week for the next 3+ weeks. Judging by my weight fluctuations week 4-8 would you guess I am still a little below maintenance at 2700? Also how does 0.5 lbs per week weight gain sound to you for keeping fat gain to a minimum while lean bulking? I've seen you respond to a lot of posts in the weight loss forum, thank you for your feedback!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Thank you! Think I will increase daily calories by 100 every week for the next 3+ weeks. Judging by my weight fluctuations week 4-8 would you guess I am still a little below maintenance at 2700? Also how does 0.5 lbs per week weight gain sound to you for keeping fat gain to a minimum while lean bulking? I've seen you respond to a lot of posts in the weight loss forum, thank you for your feedback!
I always aim for 0.25 to 0.5lbs per week

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you’re natty and you wanna stay lean yeah go up 100 a week and adjust slowly

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
.5 pounds gained per week would be perfect. It's challenging to track such a small gain, but if you're honest with your calorie intake you should be able to increase until you're gaining appx .5 pounds per week. It doesn't take too much of a calorie increase to see small progress, so approaching it slowly to stay lean would be ideal.

Given your current weight, I would say that 2700 is a good estimate for your maintenance. Everyone is a little different so it isn't a simple one size fits all number though. I would guess that in 3-4 weeks you'll be seeing the scale start to move up slowly

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone pretty much covered you. To keep your insulin response optimal and not storing a bunch of fat, 50-100cal a week added is perfect.

You’re already headed in the right direction by slowly reducing cardio and SLOWLY raising your caloric value. Keep hammerin!

danielvp

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for the feedback everyone, increasing to 2800 calories today!