Return to gym after one month break

andreasy

Awards
I have been out of the gym for a month due to disease which forced me to stay in bed with zero activity. That was right after I completed my bulking season and I was about to start cutting.

Because every time I face this return to gym I end up with an injury, I would like some advice of a comeback pattern given the duration and nature of my break. I usually take it easy on the first workouts and gradually increase weight and intensity with a 2 week full return. I usually follow the "listen to your body" advice and I believe this is exactly what leads me to injury.

Is there a pattern you could suggest with total duration to full comeback and intensity increase ratios? (Approximates of course so that I can compare to what I have in mind)

JG93

JG93

Awards
I have been out of the gym for a month due to disease which forced me to stay in bed with zero activity. That was right after I completed my bulking season and I was about to start cutting.

Because every time I face this return to gym I end up with an injury, I would like some advice of a comeback pattern given the duration and nature of my break. I usually take it easy on the first workouts and gradually increase weight and intensity with a 2 week full return. I usually follow the "listen to your body" advice and I believe this is exactly what leads me to injury.

Is there a pattern you could suggest with total duration to full comeback and intensity increase ratios? (Approximates of course so that I can compare to what I have in mind)
Not sure what had you on bed rest, but do t try a full comeback in two weeks.

Being in bed rest is gonna seriously hurt you,
Your joints, ligaments, muscles... Everything is going to be really sensitive.

I suggest you start out, slowly. Work your way back.
Retrain your body about the gym routine.
Get yourself in a better physical state before you start hitting it hard.

When you listen to your body, you have to know your body. If you aren't fine tuned with it, you are hearing things that aren't there.
Don't expect to get back in it within two weeks. Take 2 weeks to get back in the gym, and oil yourself.
Then spend another 2 weeks increasing and Trying to gauge where you are.
8-12 reps.
After that start picking up the pace to get back to your cut.

Coming back from an injury or in your case a disease is not easy.
Mentally or physically.
Don't rush it and burn out.

andreasy

Awards
Not sure what had you on bed rest, but do t try a full comeback in two weeks.

Being in bed rest is gonna seriously hurt you,
Your joints, ligaments, muscles... Everything is going to be really sensitive.

I suggest you start out, slowly. Work your way back.
Retrain your body about the gym routine.
Get yourself in a better physical state before you start hitting it hard.

When you listen to your body, you have to know your body. If you aren't fine tuned with it, you are hearing things that aren't there.
Don't expect to get back in it within two weeks. Take 2 weeks to get back in the gym, and oil yourself.
Then spend another 2 weeks increasing and Trying to gauge where you are.
8-12 reps.
After that start picking up the pace to get back to your cut.

Coming back from an injury or in your case a disease is not easy.
Mentally or physically.
Don't rush it and burn out.
Thanks. That's how I thought it although I was expecting just 2 weeks for full comeback after 4 weeks break. Of course, the fact that I was in bed with acute bronchitis may change things.

I started today and indeed I noticed that I lost my strength so I used around 60% of the weight I was using before my illness and that was too much anyway.

I made a mistake though by starting with chest/biceps which was were I was left before my illness. I think I should start with full body for the first week.

Do you think I should do that anyway from tomorrow or should I continue with my usual routine (legs only for tomorrow)?

JG93

JG93

Awards
Thanks. That's how I thought it although I was expecting just 2 weeks for full comeback after 4 weeks break. Of course, the fact that I was in bed with acute bronchitis may change things.

I started today and indeed I noticed that I lost my strength so I used around 60% of the weight I was using before my illness and that was too much anyway.

I made a mistake though by starting with chest/biceps which was were I was left before my illness. I think I should start with full body for the first week.

Do you think I should do that anyway from tomorrow or should I continue with my usual routine (legs only for tomorrow)?

I think a full body routine would really help. It would give you a starting point to recomp, as well as get your muscles joints etc a shock to say, here we go again.

Also, I suggest starting off with a mildly intense cardio(15 minutes) to really get your heart rate up and most importantly the stretch of your lungs.

Important thing is to get back to training while not overexerting yourself.

Remember, if you put your mind to your body, the correct way. You can tell what it is you want to do.

Hypertrophy isn't a bad idea.
60% of your max RIGHT NOW. For 15 reps, break and continue.

Don't try to lift as if you were just better.
It's like a drug addict that quit for 20 years coming back and taking the same amount of drugs as they did back then. Doesn't work.

You seem eager so just keep up the hard work, and I bet within the month you'll be kicking and gaining all over again!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Excellent advice from JG93! Unfortunately, there are so many factors at play here, that there is no set plan. Just take your time and see how your body responds. If it takes 2 weeks, or 4 weeks, or 6 weeks. Just be cautious and make sure it doesn't affect your recovery.