Rest Periods?

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I recently started training again and have been using minimum rest periods. I'm talking about less than 30 second rest periods........The strange thing is these short rest periods have given me the fastest results I have seen during the years of training......

Anyone train with similar rest periods?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I'm lazy , I do better with a 90sec rest in between sets and 3 minutes in between exercises.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I used to do 60 seconds when I was younger. 90 seconds now that I am more seasoned, shall we say. 30 seconds would kill me, especially on things like pullups. On 30 seconds rest, my second set would be about 3 reps. :(

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Although I rarely count or time myself, my average is anywhere from 30 seconds doing perhaps chin ladders, to up to maybe 4 mins, if I am doing heavy squats/deads etc.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me wrong. I definitely use long rest periods for compound exercises, but on my isolation exercises under 30 seconds seems to give me better results. I have read articles in the past that state doing your workout fast as possible while still maintaining correct form helps boost T levels, but so does large compound exercises with longer rest periods.

The down side of minimum rest is the stomach aches.......the intensity is so high that it causes stomach discomfort.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me wrong. I definitely use long rest periods for compound exercises, but on my isolation exercises under 30 seconds seems to give me better results. I have read articles in the past that state doing your workout fast as possible while still maintaining correct form helps boost T levels, but so does large compound exercises with longer rest periods.

The down side of minimum rest is the stomach aches.......the intensity is so high that it causes stomach discomfort.
Stomach discomfort is usually easily remedied by dropping a silent but deadly one.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as T levels raising from 30 second rests on iso moves, I might not worry about that being such an event, since I would think sprinters would have higher T levels. Don't think they do however!? ;-)
The largest muscle groups ie; legs, glutes, back, shoulders & chest are most likely going to need the longest recovery times, and most likely if any release, the most GH or hormones (the science is still out on this totally however and is only going to be a "natural elevation", not drug like) if you want to hit it again "hard" with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... set(s).
Not saying rushing some sets does not make the W/O more intense and fatigue the muscle, but for me, the limiting factor becomes my cardio respiratory fitness and the lactic acid burn still present in the muscle, keeping me from using heavier weight or getting all the target reps.
I rush at times, sure. But again, I use it as just another tool and not as a constant rule.

inda11

inda11

Awards
Regarding rest periods what I like to do is the following which I have got very good strength and muscle mass gains. This is my chest routine:

Flat bench press:
60kg x 10 1 minute rest
80kg x 8 1 minute rest
100kg x 6 2 minute rest
120kg x 2 3 minute rest
142.5kg x 1 2 minute rest
120 x 6 1 minute rest
100kg x 12 1 minute rest
80 kg x 12 30 second rest
60kg x max reps

5 minute break.

Incline flyes x 3 sets 1 minute rest between each set

Cable flyes from ground up for upper chest 3 sets 1 minute rest

Fst7 machine chest press 7 sets 30 second rest

Works brilliant for me. Feel the pump and feel my strength going through the roof.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. I like how you increase rest periods as the weight increases. I forgot about FST7.....I may have to incorporate this into my training.

inda11

inda11

Awards
Awesome. I like how you increase rest periods as the weight increases. I forgot about FST7.....I may have to incorporate this into my training.
Yeah you should. Really kills the muscle and gives you insane pump as your about to leave the gym.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I've actually been doing full body circuits with 20 second rest periods for the last 2 years,
and have been getting great results. I rest just long enough to log my numbers into my phone, and then I start again.
The theory is to maximize my natural production of HGH, I can't confirm that it's working as I haven't had any bloods done,
However I manage to keep my bodyfat under 7% year round rather easily. In addition my workouts only take a half an hour.
So I workout a total of an hour an a half a week, pretty efficient.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Depends on time of the year for me. Right now (bulking) anywhere from 2-5 min; always get my biggest and strongest this way. When I'm leaning out I go 1-3 min. Those super short rest periods never did anything for me except build endurance, which I'm none too concerned with.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've actually been doing full body circuits with 20 second rest periods for the last 2 years,
and have been getting great results. I rest just long enough to log my numbers into my phone, and then I start again.
The theory is to maximize my natural production of HGH, I can't confirm that it's working as I haven't had any bloods done,
However I manage to keep my bodyfat under 7% year round rather easily. In addition my workouts only take a half an hour.
So I workout a total of an hour an a half a week, pretty efficient.
The effects of rest periods and training on GH and test levels appears to be transient. By this I mean you'll get an increased GH pulse from training during the first 4-8 weeks of training, but the GH response appears to dip back to minimal as you become more trained.

That said, GH and lactate appear to be pretty well correlated, and that type of training is going to produce a significant amount of lactate...as any metcon training will, and likely keep you quite lean.

I believe this is a good review on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15831061

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rest periods should also reflect the intensity (% of 1 RM) used, the volume, and the goal.

In general, rest periods of 30-40 seconds are best for achieving muscular endurance.
Hypertrophy rest periods seem to be optimal between 45 sec and 2 min, or just enough rest to allow for near, but not full, recovery.
Strength and power usually require full recovery, or > 2 min depending on rep prescription.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Rest periods should also reflect the intensity (% of 1 RM) used, the volume, and the goal.

In general, rest periods of 30-40 seconds are best for achieving muscular endurance.
Hypertrophy rest periods seem to be optimal between 45 sec and 2 min, or just enough rest to allow for near, but not full, recovery.
Strength and power usually require full recovery, or > 2 min depending on rep prescription.

Thanks for the excellent information.

Closed Chain only Workout

My routine is pretty unorthodox.
I do only closed chain multi joint excersises.

Workout one
Vertical plane day.
Done while wearing a 75 pound Mir weight vest. I train fasted in the morning.
I go from excersise to excersise with no rest.

Dead hang pull ups to failure

Dips to failure (recently switched to Gironda dips).

Hanging front levers to failure.

Squats with a 100 pound sandbag to failure.

Jump squats to failure.

I rest for 20 seconds then repeat for a total of six circuits.

Workout two
Horizontal plane day done with 75 pound weight vest.

Hanging body weight rows with feet elevated, to failure.

Hanging ring push ups with feet elevated, to failure.

Roll outs to failure.

Box jumps to failure.

Pistol squats to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

I've been doing this for almost a year and a half.
Once a month, I go to the gym and do the big three to gauge my strength.
Since starting this my strength on the big three has gone up.
The one rep max listed in my profile I can get for more than three on each lift.
In addition in the last three months I've managed to put on 7 pounds of lean mass.
That's my workout, I know it's pretty unconventional, but it works for me, and it's made me better at all my hobbies surfing, volleyball, surfing, basketball, and surfing.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established

Workout one
Vertical plane day.

Jump squats to failure.

Workout two

Roll outs to failure.

Box jumps to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

The one rep max listed in my profile I can get for more than three on each lift.
In addition in the last three months I've managed to put on 7 pounds of lean mass.
That's my workout, I know it's pretty unconventional, but it works for me, and it's made me better at all my hobbies surfing, volleyball, surfing, basketball, and surfing.
Do you surf?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff, reminds me of Ross' Training. I think he does all kinds of stuff like this along with sledge hammer work etc. etc., then at under #200BW, goes in and pulls #500 without even working on his DL much.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
All great information....

Maybe my GH levels are increasing regardless since it is only my second month since my return? I'm thinking maybe now I should switch to 1-2 minute rest periods, except for one day a week. At the moment I am getting the best of both worlds, burning fat and gaining muscle with minimum rest periods, but this might just be something that happens for a short period.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Workout one
Vertical plane day.

Jump squats to failure.

Workout two

Roll outs to failure.

Box jumps to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

I will have to look up the study, but I remember reading about a strong correlation between body weight movement strength and body composition changes.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I will have to look up the study, but I remember reading about a strong correlation between body weight movement strength and body composition changes.

Thank you,
I would love to read it.

kraatos

Awards
i just get up when i m ready for the next set . it may be 30 secs or max 1 min