Unanswered Remain IF or Bulletproof Coffee?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am currently doing IF. 16-20 hour fast daily.

I was looking at my diet and i was thinking i wasn't incorporating enough fats. I intake around 3200-3500 calories a day. I stopped tracking macros (Was getting very obsessional and unsocialable). Yesterday i had a quick log and my fats just weren't enough (60g). I think this is a main issue for my appetite being all over the place (Never feel fully satiated)

Lastnight i bought some Grass Fed Butter and lumped a block into a stir fry i made. After my meal i just got a nice 'Satiated' feeling. I usually go to bed and think. Theirs protein bars in that drawer.... Have to fight the idea of eating the box but lastnight i didn't have that urge. My fats were up at 100g+

I was thinking of trying to incorporate a bulletproof coffee in the mornings. I have got MCT oil + Grass fed butter.

Do you think that changing from the IF to incorporating the Bulletproof coffee would be a good/bad idea? Just wanted to start the day with an easily digested source of calories and if it helps this horrid appetite then it would be such relief.

Update....

I have just had my first bulletproof coffee. 30g of Butter + 15g of Coconut Oil. I have good coffee beans also so i brewed a coffee and mixed these in a blender. Tbh.. Tasted pretty awesome... I use to always drink coffee black so any addition will taste better lol I had this about 20 minutes ago and my hunger has completely deminished. I actually feel REALLY good. Placebo at its finest though lol But.. If i break a fast with ANY food. Even veggies it seems to trigger my brain to eat and eat and eat. Even within minutes. This has always been my issue. The reason why i do fast's as such long periods. I have zero urges to eat anything else just now. An easy 350 calories without any grief seems a win win for me.

What's everyone's thoughts? If i kept this same satiety feeling i have right now then i could hold off a long while.

Anyone else done it for long periods and had good results?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think a bullet proof coffee is a good way to get satiated in the morning, and retain many IF benefits

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I do just this.

My diet is roughly 50% to 55% fat, most of it healthy fat. I feel great.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think a bullet proof coffee is a good way to get satiated in the morning, and retain many IF benefits
Yeh i have felt brilliant all day tbh. Can notice the difference from just having that extra fat added to my day. I knew i wasn't taking in enough fat. Just could tell from how i was feeling and appetite etc.

Gonna plan and do this for a month and gauge how much different it is for body composition and overall feeling and satiety

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you want to fast, you can’t consume the fats in the coffee, it breaks the fast. I’m sure you already know this, but the decision to fast or not is up to you and your goals. I would say to maybe have a short bullet proof coffee when you break your fast, or just add more grass fed butter to your first meal, increasing your satiety.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you want to fast, you can’t consume the fats in the coffee, it breaks the fast. I’m sure you already know this, but the decision to fast or not is up to you and your goals. I would say to maybe have a short bullet proof coffee when you break your fast, or just add more grass fed butter to your first meal, increasing your satiety.
Understood - but many contend that 120 calories of MCT is not significant, and MCTs are processed more rapidly by the liver. It is alleged that your body also processes MCTs differently, which may help you burn calories

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Understood - but many contend that 120 calories of MCT is not significant, and MCTs are processed more rapidly by the liver.
So you telling me I could drink a whey shake and it would not be significant to breaking my fast?
lets be real with that statement.
If you are going to consume calories in that amount you are breaking a fast weather its an oil, butter, or a protein source.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So you telling me I could drink a whey shake and it would not be significant to breaking my fast?
lets be real with that statement.
If you are going to consume calories in that amount you are breaking a fast weather its an oil, butter, or a protein source.
No, I am not telling you that. My statement reads "many contend". I cannot determine if this is true or not, only that many make this contention.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No, I am not telling you that. My statement reads "many contend". I cannot determine if this is true or not, only that many make this contention.
So how dose consuming 120 calories not break a fast?
Technically if you drink a BCAA beverage you break a fast because it provides an insulin response and BCAA's have calories.

taking something in that amount 100+ calories is a fast breaker, there is no if's and's or but's about it.
If you want to fast, then fast. If you want to consume sources (Fats, protein etc.. )You will break the fast

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So how dose consuming 120 calories not break a fast?
Technically if you drink a BCAA beverage you break a fast because it provides an insulin response and BCAA's have calories.

taking something in that amount 100+ calories is a fast breaker, there is no if's and's or but's about it.
If you want to fast, then fast. If you want to consume sources (Fats, protein etc.. )You will break the fast
You may very well be correct. You will notice that the first part of my response, re breaking the fast, was "Understood", indicating agreement that calories break a fast. Although I understand that any calories should break the fast, I also understand that others contend that MCT calories consumed may have a less significant impact because they are MCT (and are alleged to be processed by the body differently), and also because of the relatively small number of calories. In absolute terms, any calories would - by definition - have to break a fast. I expect the contention that limited MCTs have a less significant impact (than other calories and types of fat) is a relative statement. I did not make that statement, I offered that others believe that the statement may be true.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In absolute terms, any calories would - by definition - have to break a fast.
Exactly. You answered your own question.
Even if there is LESS of an impact the fast is broken. Regardless of how fast a source is digested. BCAA's are instantly absorbed in the blood stream for example, but still hold a caloric value

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Exactly. You answered your own question.
Even if there is LESS of an impact the fast is broken. Regardless of how fast a source is digested. BCAA's are instantly absorbed in the blood stream for example, but still hold a caloric value
Not exactly, because I never asked a question.

I merely reported a contention made by others.

I suppose "all or nothing" logic works in a lot of cases, but I simply try to understand the logic underlying the alternatives - and then wind up doing whatever I want to do. While I am interested in bettering myself, and am pleased with the progress, I find that many people veer off course when there are absolutes and overly restricting requirements. So, I mostly adhere, with exceptions. Works for me.

Many mornings it is black coffee only; other mornings not so.

Last edited:
The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Not exactly, because I never asked a question.

I merely reported a contention made by others.
Taking in 120 calories is not "Contending" a fast. it breaks it
So whoever doesn't agree with that clearly has a misunderstanding of what fasting and non fasted is.

Some people tell me they train fasted but eat a banana before hand.
Should you contend that statement too? Its far from accurate

Anyone can form a hypothesis or declare what they consider fasted or non-fasted, but as you already stated
"In absolute terms, any calories would - by definition - have to break a fast. "

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Taking in 120 calories is not "Contending" a fast. it breaks it
So whoever doesn't agree with that clearly has a misunderstanding of what fasting and non fasted is.

Some people tell me they train fasted but eat a banana before hand.
Should you contend that statement too? Its far from accurate

Anyone can form a hypothesis or declare what they consider fasted or non-fasted, but as you already stated
"In absolute terms, any calories would - by definition - have to break a fast. "
I would encourage you to tell them whatever you would like to tell them.

But I would suggest trying to avoid summarizing things that you believe they are saying (or have said), unless you are certain that is what they actually said.

You may also notice that I never said that limited calories did not break a fast. I am not responsible for the contentions made by others, although I do find differing views interesting. Apparently not everyone does.

Words are funny that way. You know, they convey specific things, while not necessarily conveying other things at the same time - although others are free to make inferences (valid or otherwise).

Last edited:
The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would encourage you to tell them whatever you would like to tell them.

But I would suggest trying to avoid summarizing things that you believe they are saying (or have said), unless you are certain that is what they actually said.
That is exactly what people have told me word for word
I train fasted but eat a banana before hand. That is why I wrote it. I am not summarizing or altering what they have said.

You may also notice that I never said that limited calories did not break a fast. I am not responsible for the contentions made by others, although I do find differing views interesting. Apparently not everyone does.
but many contend that 120 calories of MCT is not significant,
How is 120 calories not significant? That is the same amount as a full scoop of protein powder.
So if I use oil's on a daily basis I should not track it towards my daily intake because it is not significant?
20-30 calories is a more "limited" but you are talking 100+ which is more then just a "small or significant" Amount. Over the course of a week that is 800 "Insignificant" calories, or over 40,000 calories untracked in a year. That can be a big deviance when factoring total caloric intake.

If you view that as "Insignificant" by all means have at it, but you already know and stated that is far from what technical fasting is.

If you want to fast, you can’t consume the fats in the coffee, it breaks the fast. I’m sure you already know this, but the decision to fast or not is up to you and your goals.
@EMPIREMIND nailed it above.

Last edited:
Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That is exactly what people have told me word for word
I train fasted but eat a banana before hand. That is why I wrote it. I am not summarizing or altering what they have said.

but many contend that 120 calories of MCT is not significant,
How is 120 calories not significant? That is the same amount as a full scoop of protein powder.
So if I use oil's on a daily basis I should not track it towards my daily intake because it is not significant?
20-30 calories is a more "limited" but you are talking 100+ which is more then just a "small or significant" Amount. Over the course of a week that is 800 "Insignificant" calories, or over 40,000 calories untracked in a year. That can be a big deviance when factoring total caloric intake.

If you view that as "Insignificant" by all means have at it, but you already know and stated that is far from what technical fasting is.

OK. Again, absolute vs. relative. I get it.

Now we have that out of the way, please feel free to track any caloric intake (or expenditures) in whatever manner you believe to be best, all things considered.

There are times that others seem (to me, at least) insistent on making a mountain out of a mole hill. I will leave you, and to the others, to determine the extent to which that applies here.

As to your summaries of "what I told you" (including the rather inexplicable comment regarding "Contending" a fast (whatever that can possibly mean)), we will have to disagree that what you summarized was what I actually wrote. I believe the two are vastly different. It usually doesn't bother me if someone wants to re-frame what I said, but I always find it odd when someone misstates what I said, only to have them later insist that I said whatever they conjured up.

As a well-intended suggestion: In case you do drink BulletProof coffee, you might want to consider a switch to defaf.

Last edited:
EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A simple piece of gum will break a fast, as solution mentioned so will zero calorie bcaa. To drive it home even further some say even drinking water will start metabolic processes that will break your fast. No matter what, I’m sure you could drink bulletproof coffee and still lose body fat, but the question is what do you want to do? Many ways to get to the destination.