Regular tyrosine supplementation

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Can tyrosine be taken everyday to help increase dopamine or is it best to spend rest days off it? I mean might your body come to expect it and reduce your baseline dopamine levels?

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think there have been any studies showing downregulation of dopamine production on account of tyrosine supplementation.

Plus, think about it is present in many common foods and your body can produce tyrosine from phenylalanine. So, assuming you're eating a high protein diet, you're getting a fair amount of tyrosine already and there's been nothing to show dopamine downregulation as a result of high protein intake.

herosjourney

Awards
I don't think there have been any studies showing downregulation of dopamine production on account of tyrosine supplementation.

Plus, think about it is present in many common foods and your body can produce tyrosine from phenylalanine. So, assuming you're eating a high protein diet, you're getting a fair amount of tyrosine already and there's been nothing to show dopamine downregulation as a result of high protein intake.
I thought that to get any effects out of tyrosine, it needs to be taken on empty stomach to do anything acute for dopamine, since other amino acids compete with it.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
IME, free form Tyrosine loses its mood boosting effects with continued usage

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
not to my knowledge.
i'm curious about this as I feel better when my dopamine level is increased, but at the same time don't want to desensitize receptors.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tyrosine converts to l dopa (what macuna is standardized for) so idk how helpful that’d be to rotate
yeah, I pretty much already knew that-just grasping at straws I guess. really notice a substantial difference when on and when off macuna/tyrosine.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
yeah, I pretty much already knew that-just grasping at straws I guess. really notice a substantial difference when on and when off macuna/tyrosine.
Yeah, I try not to overuse it as the effects are better for me with inconsistent usage.

Kind of like a 5 hour energy. Take one of those daily and the mood boosting effects from the PEA and N-Acetyl-Tyrosine aren’t nearly as present if taking one randomly

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IME, free form Tyrosine loses its mood boosting effects with continued usage
Same, I find that even taking the weekend off I keep the effects. Cycling in other dopamine boosting supplements wouldn't be effective as it is not the supplement but the effect that is lost. It only regulates the level and once increased, they don't continue raising it.