Red meat yes or no??????

Mkspillai

Awards
I'm a big fan of red meat and try to have a 12oz steak 3 times a week as part of my diet... Just to rotate between chicken and fish and steak... Chicken alone can be a bit of a bore... But I have been told by a lota people to cut down on my steak intake... Apparently it's a lota stress on the body to digest it... Anyone got any advice?? Pros cons???? Would appreciate it...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are very few foods I enjoy more than a well seasoned and grilled steak.

Mkspillai

Awards
There are very few foods I enjoy more than a well seasoned and grilled steak.
Amen to that brother.....I would eat steak everyday.. But gotta keep a check on the wallet too...

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you have a family history of intestinal issues, it would not be a good idea to eat an excessive amount of red meat. However, adequate fiber intake should help overcome any concerns in this regard.

PowerHouse555

PowerHouse555

Awards
  • Established
As for cuts of read meat...Rarer the meat the better (more charred =more carbon=more carcinogens). The problem is most people don't eat enough fiber ie...fruit and veggies along with nuts and good fats

vassille

Awards
I'm a big fan of red meat and try to have a 12oz steak 3 times a week as part of my diet... Just to rotate between chicken and fish and steak... Chicken alone can be a bit of a bore... But I have been told by a lota people to cut down on my steak intake... Apparently it's a lota stress on the body to digest it... Anyone got any advice?? Pros cons???? Would appreciate it...
Grass fed beef if you can afford it and eat it everyday if you like. No stress to digest...who said it maybe a vegan would say that.lol
No offense to vegetarians!
Now, grain fed beef (supermarket meat) I wouldnt eat more than 2x a week. It has a lot of omega 6 which is inflamatory.

Mkspillai

Awards
Grass fed beef if you can afford it and eat it everyday if you like. No stress to digest...who said it maybe a vegan would say that.lol
Now, grain fed beef (supermarket meat) I wouldnt eat more than 2x a week. It has a lot of omega 6 which is inflamatory.
I buy fresh steak straight from a farm every month..same place I buy my chicken... Saves me a hell a lota money and I don't have to eat the supermarket crap...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most people base their opinions on articles read on non-academic sources. Since journalists are not scientists, they can't distinguish between "science" and science, and usually report on findings from epidemiological studies, which is never causal.

Long story short, there's little inherent problems with eating red meat. I would buy grass fed beef as often as you can, or get extremely lean cuts of supermarket beef since it wont have that much fat in it anyways. You might consider giving the broiler in your oven a shot as a way to cook your steak as well. You can cook it to medium rare and it'll taste just as good, but it wont char the steak as much. I do believe that the studies indicating a link between charred red meat and cancer hold a lot of validity, so do take care with this in mind.

ToeRock

ToeRock

Awards
Red meat? YES! All types do in fact have a lean version. I eat red meat at least once a week. I think it's good to get your protien from all sources imo

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
This.
Grass fed is more lean (grainfed have high fat content) and well just better for you. Also grass fed cattle have a lot less of a need for antibiotics etc because grains are not natural for cattle and takes a toll on their auto immune and immune functions.

Quote from my grassfed cattle ranch I buy my Reds from.

vassille

Awards
This.
Grass fed is more lean (grainfed have high fat content) and well just better for you. Also grass fed cattle have a lot less of a need for antibiotics etc because grains are not natural for cattle and takes a toll on their auto immune and immune functions.

Quote from my grassfed cattle ranch I buy my Reds from.
Buying it directly from a farm is the way to go!
Very true, cattle dont have the digestive system to eat grains and although they can handle a small amount of grains, the problem arise when the grains just inflame their gut imune system to the point that cattle ranchers pump them full of antibiotics so the animal doesnt die.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll eat anything that moves, cow, lamb, goat, snake, alligator, turtle, chicken, goose, bison, deer

I won't touch table sugar with a 10 foot pole though. It all boils down to preference.

Grass fed beef does taste better too. Any time an animal is allowed to eat and live like it naturally would they taste better. Not just because of the healthier feed, but also a reduction in stress hormones being released.

tcun44

Awards
I won't touch table sugar with a 10 foot pole though. It all boils down to preference.
Amen. I surmise in 10 years time- if not sooner- the verdict on refined sugar will come in as the largest contributor to obesity and other chronic diseases- and we will all wonder how we didn't see it sooner.