recovering addict 12 step programme ... steroids a problem !?

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
Hi all I’m currently working the 12 step programme on a treatment Center and took cut story really short there programme is we can never pick up a mind altering drug again or we will be straight back into using drugs again ! So I no I can’t drink or use ever again !

But I’m into my training have been for years but my addiction has always cut me short off the result and commitment I want to have , I’ve used steroids before n learnt that I can only tolerate boldenone or anavar maybe npp ... my question is would u class these as mind altering drugs and something that would trigger my addiction to drugs again ,

Any feedback be brill cheers

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would still consider yourself sober if you use steroids and aren’t working a program with a sponsor. Unless of course you’re willing to be honest with everyone about your steroid use. Having to lie to everyone and claim natural would fit under “you’re only as sick as your secrets.” I’ve been sober 10 years but I’m also not in any type of recovery group. Any one in a 12 step program would call use of anabolic steroids a complete relapse. I live in Florida and have seen countless guys in AA use steroids and fail horribly. It’s because they are forced to lie to everyone about their use. Then the gossip starts and guys who know about gear start talking. Next thing you know you’re being called out in a group and AA as a whole ends up judging you and breaking you down. Also watch out for the girls in recovery most of them have diseases

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I agree with BlockBuilder. The lying would be an issue. To be honest I’d just be focusing on recovery and getting yourself well right now bro.

I’m over 5 years sober myself but not in any program. I also didn’t use any form of aas until last year. By then I was rock solid in my mental belief that I wouldn’t return to my old ways (and that’s not changed).

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I would stick to test cycles. You will look more natural and won't be running a drug, just a generous hrt. Bold, you will get too vascular and people will talk, NPP too big, and Anavar too awesome, people will talk if your training is really where it needs to be.

Are they mind altering drugs? Not really, but they do bind differently than test, and definitely all have a different "feel."

On one hand, testosterone increases risk taking behavior. But, on another it increases feelings of confidence and well being and blocks many affects of stress, which can both be factors in addiction.

The use of aas in and of itself can be addicting. If you are already prone to addiction, you are more likely to abuse and use in such a way as to damage your health. But, if you feel well, you are more likely to make healthy decisions. Tough call, very personal decision. Just don't lie to yourself and you'll be good no mater what way you go.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good advice in here so far. I’d be interested to hear more people’s opinion on whether you consider steroids mind altering. Would you at least say steroids can effect your decision making skills?

This actually happened to me last night. I was at a bar and when I came back from the bathroom there was a note at my bar stool with a girls name and number on it. Below her number it said “this is how I feel about you” and there was an arrow next to it pointing toward the corner of the note which was soaking wet. Obviously this girl was dtf and I’d like to mention this stuff doesn’t happen to me often so I was shocked. It took all my willpower to ignore this advance but I had to because I’m in a long term relationship and I don’t want to cheat. Would I have been able to resist if I was on a cycle of something like trestolone?

If this guy uses certain “feel good” AAS, isn’t there a slight risk that that feeling will lead to greater risk taking behaviors, whether that’s taking drugs or chasing strange pu$$y? This is just a genuine question, I don’t know the answer.

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would stick to test cycles. You will look more natural and won't be running a drug, just a generous hrt. Bold, you will get too vascular and people will talk, NPP too big, and Anavar too awesome, people will talk if your training is really where it needs to be.

Are they mind altering drugs? Not really, but they do bind differently than test, and definitely all have a different "feel."

On one hand, testosterone increases risk taking behavior. But, on another it increases feelings of confidence and well being and blocks many affects of stress, which can both be factors in addiction.

The use of aas in and of itself can be addicting. If you are already prone to addiction, you are more likely to abuse and use in such a way as to damage your health. But, if you feel well, you are more likely to make healthy decisions. Tough call, very personal decision. Just don't lie to yourself and you'll be good no mater what way you go.
This is a really tough one for me to give an opinion on. I mean if someone was a former addict, sometimes associating with any drug even if it’s hormones, can sometimes be hard for the user to differentiate from one to the other at least that’s what I was told from a recovering heroin addict who thought about cycling. Now for myself I wouldn’t think there would be any addictive behavior other than towards the gym and bettering myself. For example, back in the day when I would walk in the store, by an OTC Prohormone whichwere obviously legal steroids, i always would feel more disciplined towards my diet and training while on them but never tempted to want to go and party or lead to some other drug. I mean this was during college too an would like to go drink every now and then but that actually lessened because I was so addicted to getting results. So in a way I think they helped in that aspect.

Karlrobert

Awards
I'm an alcoholic who hasn't drank in years. Not sure what your addiction was to. I would definitely concentrate on your recovery right now. Embrace your workouts and nutrition as a way to help you through recovery. A positive note towards the future- better and safer results from supplements natural or otherwise. Get blood work done before taking anything. In regards to anabolics being a path back to relapse, that's going to get some interesting feedback, I would imagine. I'll keep my opinions to myself on that and keep an eye on this thread for now lol. This subject would make for a great sub forum all on its own.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is a really tough one for me to give an opinion on. I mean if someone was a former addict, sometimes associating with any drug even if it’s hormones, can sometimes be hard for the user to differentiate from one to the other at least that’s what I was told from a recovering heroin addict who thought about cycling. Now for myself I wouldn’t think there would be any addictive behavior other than towards the gym and bettering myself. For example, back in the day when I would walk in the store, by an OTC Prohormone whichwere obviously legal steroids, i always would feel more disciplined towards my diet and training while on them but never tempted to want to go and party or lead to some other drug. I mean this was during college too an would like to go drink every now and then but that actually lessened because I was so addicted to getting results. So in a way I think they helped in that aspect.
Yep agree, this is exactly why I suggest dealing with the early stage recovery as op is in without using steroids but then when he is in a place where the focus is about being healthy and in shape (I.e that’s the addiction) then I think it’s a different situation and aas can be used.

There is definitely a feeing of being on something with steroids and too early in recovery that could easily just be replacing the drink or drugs, that would most likely lead to misuse.

If the addiction becomes about health and fitness then your more likely to use aas responsibly as to do otherwise would be counter productive to your goal. That’s been my experience anyway.

Should say OP, whichever way you go you have a forum here in which you’ll get support brother. Stay strong and take it one day at a time.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Focus on your recovery. Think about using or not using steroids later. You have more pressing concerns at the moment if you’re still in a treatment center.

Ivery

Ivery

Awards
Been sober 8 years and clean longer. Swore I'd never use anything again . But I've made a decision to use steroids after researching them. You're not getting high or anything. It's not a chemical you're putting in a vein like dope. But if you're new in recovery, and not get a solid foundation down. You might want to really think about it. It couald be a trigger or something. If you're not ready.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been sober 8 years and clean longer. Swore I'd never use anything again . But I've made a decision to use steroids after researching them. You're not getting high or anything. It's not a chemical you're putting in a vein like dope. But if you're new in recovery, and not get a solid foundation down. You might want to really think about it. It couald be a trigger or something. If you're not ready.
I’d imagine that proper cycling, that is not running cycles over-length, and having sufficient time off, may be more difficult for someone with a history of addiction, but that’s just hypothetical.

thedudesdad

Awards
I was sober 3 years before I started cycling again. To me it didnt affect my sobriety and its not a mind altering chemical. I wont be sniffing coke off a strippers ass after a test shot but let me have a drink and watch out :)

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also if you take a shot of test.. your mind isn’t altered like other drugs so to speak. You can operate a moving vehicle.. you don’t slur.. no loss of motor skills.. the list goes on. Now drink a handle of vodka etc and you are incoherent.

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was sober 3 years before I started cycling again. To me it didnt affect my sobriety and its not a mind altering chemical. I wont be sniffing coke off a strippers ass after a test shot but let me have a drink and watch out :)
I agree, I’m on legit trt. And take my dose accordingly. If this were like other narcotics, I would think I would have shot an entire 10ml bottle of 2 grams of test in a shot, but that’s not the case

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all comments people taking it all on board so thank you , I will find my feet before I even think about starting a cycle again the main fear is it changing my decision making and leading to me picking up alcohol then that leading to the madness again off all other substance ... just thought going through my mind while I’m in rehab it’s all new to me only on step four so just wondering about a lot of thoughts right about now tbh ! ... thanks again

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
Just reading back through this , and I’m 102 days clean and out off rehab month now still attending meetings working all my programme solid , I have boldebone and anavar course I’m going to start like you’ve said here it’s make be more disciplined and focused while on cycle so going to give it ago , will keep the forum posted with results , I feel mentally and spiritually well and the happiest in life I’ve been for a decade .

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
ust reading back through this , and I’m 102 days clean and out off rehab month now still attending meetings working all my programme solid , I have boldebone and anavar course I’m going to start like you’ve said here it’s make be more disciplined and focused while on cycle so going to give it ago , will keep the forum posted with results , I feel mentally and spiritually well and the happiest in life I’ve been for a decade .

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Youre of course risking becoming addicted to AAS. Id honestly consider myself an addict. So yeah, be mindful of that.

Ryan303

Ryan303

Awards
  • Established
I’ve ran these steroids before and used with no abuse and how it should be

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I’ve ran these steroids before and used with no abuse and how it should be
Congrats on 102 days! I am an addict in recovery as well. Please watch the upcoming hormonal changes and listen to how they may be effecting how good you feel right now. You'll know what to do if you start to not feel as good as you do right now. Good luck on your run brother and please let us know how it goes!

Rk303

Awards
Alright guys so I wrote this post some years back and the outcome was I ended up two years clean but got complacent and left all my programme behind don’t think steroids was the right idea , I relapsed for 18 months in the end and I just managed 30 days clean again beginning off those 30 days started started test e at 1ml a week thinking this wouldn’t change my mood and reactions to things to much any way I picked up again the other day … I know this might sound like addict talking again but will I be better using sarms or r they just as mood altering ?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys so I wrote this post some years back and the outcome was I ended up two years clean but got complacent and left all my programme behind don’t think steroids was the right idea , I relapsed for 18 months in the end and I just managed 30 days clean again beginning off those 30 days started started test e at 1ml a week thinking this wouldn’t change my mood and reactions to things to much any way I picked up again the other day … I know this might sound like addict talking again but will I be better using sarms or r they just as mood altering ?
They will alter your mood because you will suppress your endogenous testosterone, and cause your estrogen levels to go off normal as well.

Can’t run gear and expect no mood/mental changes.

Best of luck getting sober again. You did it before, so you know what to do.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I like to keep the rule of thumb that if I have to ask if something is ok for my sobriety than I probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Ultimately, you will get two different answers. Only you can keep yourself sober.

Ironpirate

Ironpirate

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I like to keep the rule of thumb that if I have to ask if something is ok for my sobriety than I probably shouldn’t be doing it.
This is a perfect answer. Maybe run it by the sponsor and if he doesn't have a sponsor then he's not actually recovering (working steps).