Recomp vs. Weight Loss

Mikextimtim

Awards
Ive been looking up for supplements to take but i always didn’t understand what would be better, recomp vs. straight weight loss. Wouldn’t the better effect be recomp? Because everyone wants to lose weight but gain muscle. So why would someone choose a cut/weight loss over recomp or vice versa?

I couldnt find any threads on this forum that talks about the pros/cons

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ive been looking up for supplements to take but i always didn’t understand what would be better, recomp vs. straight weight loss. Wouldn’t the better effect be recomp? Because everyone wants to lose weight but gain muscle. So why would someone choose a cut/weight loss over recomp or vice versa?

I couldnt find any threads on this forum that talks about the pros/cons
Usually when someone does a hard cut, as opposed to recomp is, they are about to compete, or they are very overweight. Recomp is the smart way to go, just not as speedy.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Because if you are not a complete noob or are coming off of a long layoff, recomp is a myth that no one wants to admit is actually a myth. Dont @ me

edit: assuming natty

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Recomping is not a myth. It's slow. It takes dialing in. But it does exist.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
gtfo with jerry ward, its a myth and you know it

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Recomping is what generally happens when you take AAS, unless you can eat so much or little to exclusively gain muscle or lose fat. But for most users, they will fail in one regard or the other and some fat will be lost even on an attempted bulk, or muscle will be added in a deficit because it was not steep enough with the anabolics in the picture.

It’s the easiest thing to do. Take drugs and don’t change much with your diet.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Recomping to me feels/looks like "a starter point" for weightloss with supplements that sort of shred the water weight (and maybe a little fat) and such off you in a quick time, sort of gives me a building block to continue on my journey.

I guess it's just a cute name for losing weight, lol.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, I can recomp. Guess it's just my genetics.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jeff Nippard and Chris Barakat came out with a body recompsition guide a while back that i bought and I enjoyed it.
I absolutely think it can be done, but it does require diligence and time.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, I can recomp. Guess it's just my genetics.
That is actually a key factor imo. Some people can, most can't effectively at least (if natty and not a complete beginner). And even more importantly it's not optimal for most. I think most people would get better end results if doing 4 months (lean) bulk while eating above maintenance and accepting some fat gain followed by 2 months of cutting while trying to not lose muscle. Rather than trying to do a 6 month recomp.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is actually a key factor imo. Some people can, most can't effectively at least (if natty and not a complete beginner). And even more importantly it's not optimal for most. I think most people would get better end results if doing 4 months (lean) bulk while eating above maintenance and accepting some fat gain followed by 2 months of cutting while trying to not loose muscle. Than trying to do a 6 month recomp.
Mike Israetel of Renaissance Periodization did a great discussion video about why trying to focus on recomping solely is probably suboptimal. Worth a listen, even if you disagree:

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Mike Israetel of Renaissance Periodization did a great discussion video about why trying to focus on recomping solely is probably suboptimal. Worth a listen, even if you disagree:

Thanks. This was pretty much how I saw it.

Favorite part though was "Just flexing my 1% more muscle. Should be easy to see with my 1% less fat. And they're like.. You're an idiot." 😄

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I choose option three. Stay lean year round so you never have to worry about cutting. Lol I like to cut hard if I have to but haven’t in probably over a year. Also have done recomps successfuly. So it’s up to you what you prefer. If you have lots of fat to lose I’d probably cut.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I choose option three. Stay lean year round so you never have to worry about cutting. Lol I like to cut hard if I have to but haven’t in probably over a year. Also have done recomps successfuly. So it’s up to you what you prefer. If you have lots of fat to lose I’d probably cut.
What ever works for you and you are happy with the results is allways the way to go. I hate cutting and would be great to never have to cut again, but I can't make any muscle gains without gaining fat in the process, no matter what kind of macros, caloric balance and diet. And for vast majority if they are not gaining some fat along the way when building muscle, they are restricting their muscle growth too. AAS of course changes things a bit.