Rampage Jackson's wannabe CKD log

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
As some of you know...I'm on day 6 of my CKD journey. I'm not sure if I've entered ketosis yet, as I had a carbo-gorge the day before starting CKD. I've kept my carbs low ~20 per day, no direct sources. The only trouble I've had so far is diarrhea on a few occasions, and a MASSIVE headache (the likes of which I've never had before) this morning.

Here were my starting stats:
Ht: 6ft
Wt: 273lbs
BF: ~27%

I'm coming off rotator cuff surgery in late October...there have been a few complications, but I'm fully cleared now, and will ease into a resistance band program for 2-3 months before hitting the iron again. I have the Iron Woody Masters package, so I'll have a lot of options. The resistance program will start this coming week.

As far as supplementation, I'll really only be using Fish Oil, ALA, and a Multi. I do have a stockpile of sesathin from the NP bulk days, which I may include.

I'll now introduce you to my food logs:
Click here for RJ's Food Logs!

This will be easier than attempting to import a picture of each day's stuff (how do they do that?).

As you can see by looking at the logs, there are several days where it says there are 65-75% of fat coming from saturated sources. This really isn't the case, because if you add the three types (sat, mono, poly) together, it's always a lot less than my actual total of fat grams. I attribute this to many food labels only stating total fat and sat fat, but not mono,poly. Ya dig?

Anyways, after 6 days on the diet, I'm down to 267lbs...mainly water weight lost, but moving in the right direction. Feel free to question, comment, concern me away.

Last edited:
AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you have a good plan goin...if you hit a wall before refeeds and you need extra energy, I would suggest a fat burner that gives you energy

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't planning on doing a carb up this weekend, but I cracked when we went to a birthday party at Red Robin last night. I ended up eating a Royal Red Robin (with bun). It was only about 75 extra carbs, but I felt bloated afterwards!

I have a couple of questions...

1. When are you guys taking ALA? I've been taking 2 before my breakfast, another 2 with my 2nd meal, then 1 with each of my last two...Taking 200mg caps.

2. Are any of you incorporating Sesathin into your diets? If so, how are you implementing it?

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't planning on doing a carb up this weekend, but I cracked when we went to a birthday party at Red Robin last night. I ended up eating a Royal Red Robin (with bun). It was only about 75 extra carbs, but I felt bloated afterwards!

I have a couple of questions...

1. When are you guys taking ALA? I've been taking 2 before my breakfast, another 2 with my 2nd meal, then 1 with each of my last two...Taking 200mg caps.

2. Are any of you incorporating Sesathin into your diets? If so, how are you implementing it?
Red Robin, you're one lucky SOB! What I'd do for that! I'm on my carb-up eating Kuwaiti potato chips :/ :food:

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Red Robin, you're one lucky SOB! What I'd do for that! I'm on my carb-up eating Kuwaiti potato chips :/ :food:
Nice...it was an unintentional carb up though...no depletion workout or anything.

Good times though, I can imagine the crap ya'll have to eat over there!

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established

1. When I want to get into ketosis quickly (generally after a carb-up) I use 100mg of r-ala and 10g of leucine 1/2 an hour before my first three meals. I use na-r-ala from nutra; not sure what the equivelant would be in regular ala.

2. Three caps a day of sesamin is the norm. You can megadose it at six caps a day but there is a slight chance it make you lethargic.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Big Update coming tonight. Had a fantastic 1st workout back yesterday! One quick question...I seem to be forgetting to take my ALA before my meals, and always remember like right afterwards...how much of a difference will this make?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Todays Food:

More to come later

Last edited:
rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
So yesterday I had my first workout back from Rotator Cuff surgery! I bought the bands on a recommendation from one of my physical therapists, and I love them!

The bands are color coded easy to hard:
Purple, Red, Blue, Green, Black

I did an Upper Body split today, quick pace...not a lot of rest between sets.

Assisted Pushups: 3x12 (Purple)+ 1x3 unassisted

Reverse Woodchopper: 3x10 (Blue)

Tricep Pushdown: 3x12 (Red)

Lat Pulldowns: 3x12 (Blue)

Horizontal Rows: 3x12 (Red)

Shrugs 2x10 (Purple)

Deadlift 2x10 (Red)

Workout went great, but I'm amazed how much strength I've lost since my surgery in October! I have a feeling I'm going to get my money's worth outta these bands!

Today:

I did 15 min of HIT: 5x15 second intervals at max effort, 30 second rest at half max effort between sets, 5 min Warmup & Cooldown. Felt great, and blew my legs up. Pedaling at max resistance as fast as you can is tough, even at 15 secs per interval!

Lower body workout tomorrow..we'll see how it goes!

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Keep it up, Ramp. Make sure you get enough carbs in your carb up. Looks good on the diet!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'll be shooting for 800g first 24 hours, 400 the last 12 hours.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
The amount sounds good, that's what I was getting, good luck with the carb-up rampage!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
My Triumphant 1000th post!!!

Finally hit 1000 posts! It only took the better part of 5 years. I'd like to thank all of my old school homies: Dsade, Dr. D, Lake, Bob Sakamoto...the list goes on and on!

Anyways, here is my food for the day:

Attempted to do a leg workout today...wasn't real satisfied as I blew the **** outta my legs doing cycle intervals. I did squats, calf raises, and some deep hamstring stretching. I'm not totally surprised, as I knew I was in for some serious DOMS. Doing more HIIT tomorrow.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Todays food:

Also did 15 Min HIIT today...burned like hell, but I got through it!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Will hopefully post results from carb-up day 1 tonight...

Quick question: Does anyone who takes ALA notice a slight warmness sensation about 15-20 minutes after taking it? Like a body-heat rise? Is that an effect from the glucose disposal...or am I just crazy?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Did depletion workout last night, and started carb-up.

Here is the depletion workout:

Bands go: Purple, Red, Blue, Green, Black

Squats 4x20 Double Purple Bands
Pull Aparts (Reverse Flyes) 2x20, 1x15 Purple
Assisted Pushups 1x20, 2x15 Green
Horizontal Rows 4x20 Purple
Tricep Pushdowns 3x20 Purple
Face Pulls 2x15 Purple
1 Arm Curls 2x15 (Each Arm) Purple
Good Mornings 2x20 Purple

I was amazed how little resistance it took to burn up my muscles on high reps...pretty much the first time I've ever really done a workout with super high reps!

Here are Friday's Meals:

And Today's:

As you can see, the middle row is the 1st 24 hours of carbup, and the bottom row is the last 12 hours. I was shooting for 800 in the 1st 24, and 400 in the last 12.

Ended up with 797 in 1st 24, and 333 in the last 12 hours. Pretty close to where I wanted to be, but the fat could be a bit lower...I didn't break it down in the periods, but I have a feeling it was a bit high. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Another day down... Had to force myself to eat today, as I just wasn't hungry. I wasn't bloated, just not hungry. Weighed in this morning 5 lbs over what I was before carbup, 270 lbs. Not a lot to report today, as no workouts. I did FAIL at making a medicineball out of a basketball...the sand I wanted to use wasn't fine enough for the funnel :(.

Here is today's food:

pitching101

pitching101

Awards
  • Established
Carb up looked good bro. Is there any reason you don't lift the day after your carb up.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Carb up looked good bro. Is there any reason you don't lift the day after your carb up.
LOL...was feeling a bit lazy yesterday. I guess I missed that part...I take it's from the fact we're super compensated? I can say that today's workout was by far the best I've had since I started. Is there any huge detriment to missing a workout after the refeed day?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Here are my foods for today. As I mentioned above, had a spectacular workout today!

Workout today was:

Chest Press: 2x12 Double Red Bands, 1x12 Double Blue Bands
Lat Pulldowns: 4x10 Double Blue Bands
Tricep Pushdowns: 3x10 Double Red Bands
Push Press: 3x10 Blue Band (Max Tension)
Bicep Curl (Straight Bar): 3x12 Blue Band
Assisted Pushups: 3x12 Blue Band
Deadlift: 3x8 Double Blue Bands (Max Tension)

Again...I felt like a million ****ing dollars after this workout. Pure Euphoria!

Also, to anyone who employs bands: I highly recommend going out and getting a 2-2.5 ft x 1inch length of PVC pipe. It has really taken my band training to the next level IMO. I used my "bar" today with every exercise except the pushups. Makes it far easier when using Iron Woody or Jumpstretch bands.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your set up is looking great. All of your macros look good for the week and carb loads. The only tip I can give you is to plan out your carb loads each week. Whenever I do a CKD I always find myself overeating during the carb loads and this sets me back a day or two the following week. Also, don't be afraid to lower the carbs a bit on your first carb load day if you feel like you might not be responding well to that many carbs.

I don't respond to high amounts of carbs at all so when I run this type of diet I usually do around 400 grams day 1 and 200 day 2.

You just have to play around and see what fits you best. Good luck!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Your set up is looking great. All of your macros look good for the week and carb loads. The only tip I can give you is to plan out your carb loads each week. Whenever I do a CKD I always find myself overeating during the carb loads and this sets me back a day or two the following week. Also, don't be afraid to lower the carbs a bit on your first carb load day if you feel like you might not be responding well to that many carbs.

I don't respond to high amounts of carbs at all so when I run this type of diet I usually do around 400 grams day 1 and 200 day 2.

You just have to play around and see what fits you best. Good luck!
Thanks for the help bro! Got a question though: I assume you fill in your other daily macros with protein instead of fat on carb-up days? Or do you eat a good amount of fat, but replace the necessary calories to fit in your carbs? Or do you eat like normal, but with added calories from the carbs?

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You want minimal fat on carb load days. Keep protein to around 30%, fat as low as possible, and the rest carbs. Protein isn't all that important (still obviously somewhat important), it's mostly about the amount and types of carbs you take in. Also, during your first carb load day make sure your first 2 meals are liquid carb sources. Trust me, I've tried to eat a ton of pasta or bread and I got such an upset stomach from my digestive system not being used to the carbs.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
You want minimal fat on carb load days. Keep protein to around 30%, fat as low as possible, and the rest carbs. Protein isn't all that important (still obviously somewhat important), it's mostly about the amount and types of carbs you take in. Also, during your first carb load day make sure your first 2 meals are liquid carb sources. Trust me, I've tried to eat a ton of pasta or bread and I got such an upset stomach from my digestive system not being used to the carbs.
So what you're saying is that you keep your low, protein normal, and carbs make the rest of the calories...that was my question. I take it it's ok to eat under what you have been during the week calorie-wise, so long as the carbs and protein are right?

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So what you're saying is that you keep your low, protein normal, and carbs make the rest of the calories...that was my question. I take it it's ok to eat under what you have been during the week calorie-wise, so long as the carbs and protein are right?
Yeah protein keep at normal or around 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and the rest of your cals should be from carbs. Everything I've read about this diet says that you can go lower on protein during the carb loads since the increased glycogen from the massive amounts of carbs triggers protein synthesis as well.

So basically, protein normal or slightly lower than normal. Rest of calories = carbs.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the knowledge Chef!

Here are today's foods:

Couldn't do the cardio I planned today, as I had to attend an emergency board meeting tonight. I'm gonna tack on some cardio after my workout tomorrow.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Here are the foods for the day. Went a little high on protein, and not high enough on fats. Nobody's perfect I suppose. I've gotta figure out how to lower my protein on workout days, except for post-workout.

Did lower body workout today:

Squats: 1x12 Double Blue Bands, 2x12 Double Green, 1x5 Double Green, Double Purple
Leg Curls: 4x15 Red Band
Calf Raises: 3x20 Blue Band
Lunges: 3x10 (each leg) Red Band

I did 20 minutes of LISS cardio at about 65-70% Max Heart Rate directly after workout.

I'm having trouble coming up with creative ways to do lower body exercises with the bands. Anyone got a good resource for them?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Here are today's foods:

Did 40 minutes of LISS cardio today. I think I'm not gonna start my carb up until Saturday, as I just got into deep ketosis today.

Kc2554

Awards
Here are today's foods:

Did 40 minutes of LISS cardio today. I think I'm not gonna start my carb up until Saturday, as I just got into deep ketosis today.
Ramp,

This week and last week, I did not start pissing purple until Thursday. I did have the metal taste on Wednesday, but I am contemplating not even doing a carb up this weekend if indeed I did not enter Ketosis until Thursday.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
How is your weight doing, ramp? good loss so far?
Honestly, I haven't really weighed in since Sunday. I was up about 7lbs after the carbup...I'll weigh in tomorrow morning before my depletion workout. I'm guessing about 10-12lbs in 3 weeks...I'm figuring about 6 of it was water, so roughly about 2lbs per week of actual loss. I do think 1200g carbs was too much over a 36 hour period, so I'm gonna shoot for around 700-800g over a 24 hour period this weekend.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Ramp,

This week and last week, I did not start pissing purple until Thursday. I did have the metal taste on Wednesday, but I am contemplating not even doing a carb up this weekend if indeed I did not enter Ketosis until Thursday.
I've been doing a lot of reading since my 1st carbup, and I now believe that bigger dudes can get away with doing smaller carbups, or going longer between carbups. I'm gonna try a smaller carbup this week (as mentioned in the above post), and see how I quickly I get into ketosis next week. I didn't start reading pink on the strips until Wed night, and last night I was finally in between Moderate and Heavy Ketosis.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
At higher body fats you will see better results with going longer between carb ups. If you find yourself lagging in energy during the gym I strongly suggest doing a carb spike at a midportion. For example, I like going two weeks before my carb up for now, at the 7 day mark, right after a workout, 100 carbs.

What you can also do is cycling calories.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
At higher body fats you will see better results with going longer between carb ups. If you find yourself lagging in energy during the gym I strongly suggest doing a carb spike at a midportion. For example, I like going two weeks before my carb up for now, at the 7 day mark, right after a workout, 100 carbs.

What you can also do is cycling calories.
Ideally, I'd like to do a carbup every 10 days or so, but it would be extremely difficult during the work-week. Do you guys think every other Sat. would work, or too much time between?

I guess my reasoning for doing a smaller carbup is that I could do it weekly, and still get into ketosis quickly.

Do you have any resources on calorie cycling, or are you essentially saying "eat more cals on lifting days" which would work well for me, as I lift 3x per week.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
A little slow getting this up (more on that later), but here is yesterday's food log:

So anyways, I went to do my cardio last night...and my cycle was messed up! Basically the electromagnetic resistance was fully engaged, and I could barely budge the pedals. Long story short, after several hours of attempted repairs I decided to scrap the thing. For the time being, I'll be doing band-resisted sprints as my cardio. Pretty pissed off at the whole thing, but the cycle was 7 years old. I'd like to get an eliptical or treadmill, but I think the quality of consumer-grade cycles is better than that of the other two.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing a lot of reading since my 1st carbup, and I now believe that bigger dudes can get away with doing smaller carbups, or going longer between carbups. I'm gonna try a smaller carbup this week (as mentioned in the above post), and see how I quickly I get into ketosis next week. I didn't start reading pink on the strips until Wed night, and last night I was finally in between Moderate and Heavy Ketosis.
Us sexy ass guys (bigger dudes) can also get away with lower fat during the high fat portion, since we have excess fat to burn, we don't need to consume as much fat :)

pitching101

pitching101

Awards
  • Established
Yea man I agree. I'm pushing my carb up to every 10 days since when I carb up friday and saturday I'm not really back into ketosis till wednesday/thursday.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
That's a good idea P, When I do my cut after I get back to the states, I'll do a 10 day low carb, that will help me, if I still have my spare tire, hopefully I get trim while out here, eating military food has alot of carbs though

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Man all that sounds great...but it would be next to impossible to do a quality carb up during the weekdays. I just couldn't get in enough food at work, and I'd feel like **** if I gorge at lunch.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I felt like a slob everytime I did my carb-up, regardless of the day. If at all possible, just eat cereal throughout the day while working. Good lucky Rampage!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Here is my 2nd depletion workout:

Squats: 4x20 Double Blue
Horizontal Rows: 4x15 Double Red
Chest Press: 4x15 Double Red
Deadlifts 4x5 Double Blue
Bicep Curls: 1x30, 1x20, 1x15, 1x10 Purple (As fast as possible without sacrificing form)
Push Press 4x15 Red (Max Tension)

I'm pretty sure I did Leg Curls as well to isolate the Hammies, but I didn't write them down, and can't freaking remember.

Anyways, here is my Carbup Log. The Depletion workout is about 2 hours after breakfast, carbup starts at the line.

I feel a lot better about this carbup attempt, as I don't feel bloated, and my muscles feel full! I also think (hope) I'm gonna get into Ketosis quicker this way.

Also, I need to mention that this will be my last carbup until Feb 6, as I have a conference I'm attending over next weekend, and I know it'll be far easier just to stick to lowcarb while there.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I felt like a slob everytime I did my carb-up, regardless of the day. If at all possible, just eat cereal throughout the day while working. Good lucky Rampage!
I'm really considering carbing up every-other weekend.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like a long time! 10 days sounds good, but if carb-ups work best for you on the weekend, more power to you

dbsb

dbsb

Awards
I'm interested in how quickly you get back into ketosis after this leaner carb up. I'm going to be doing my first bard up this friday. So knowing what to shoot for would be helpful.

Keep it up and I hope this works wonders for all of us.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Here is Sunday's Cardio Workout:

Band Resisted Sprints

1st & 2nd Sets: 10X Forward, 10X Backward, 5X Shuffle (Each Side)
3rd & 4th Sets: 15X Forward, 15X Backward

First time I really ever did band sprints...and they BLEW ME UP! man it was a great cardio workout! My lungs, heart, and legs were burning bigtime!

Here's what I ate:

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'm in light Ketosis! Hooray! Only took 1 full day after carbup. We'll see how long it takes to get into moderate/heavy Ketosis.

I did more Band Sprints today, as I have a messed up schedule this week, and have to do my strength training on Tue/Wed.

I kept is simple today (simple doesn't mean easy!)

6 Sets of: 10x Forward, 10x Backward

Again...these are great! Blew me the **** up!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested in how quickly you get back into ketosis after this leaner carb up. I'm going to be doing my first bard up this friday. So knowing what to shoot for would be helpful.

Keep it up and I hope this works wonders for all of us.
The strips show I'm light ketosis now. I attribute this to 3 things.

1. I did the smaller carbup
2. I did heavy cardio yesterday and today
3. I'm taking 200mg of ALA before my first 3 meals of the day