Raising dopamine inside the brain?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
So I know that certain supplements like MP and P-5-P can raise dopamine levels and works well for prolactin and gyno. How much of that if any is needed within the brain to do so? My understanding is the more peripheral we raise dopamine, the more side effects there are, whereas the more it is raised within the brain, the more effective it is. How do we pass the blood-brain barrier and increase our dopamine levels??

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There were extensive conversations on this years ago. Maybe like 2013ish. Google something like “AnabolicMinds.com dopamine mr.cooper69”.

IIRC (which is questionable given how long ago this was lol), L-Dopa spaced out from B6 may be best for increasing dopamine in the brain.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
There were extensive conversations on this years ago. Maybe like 2013ish. Google something like “AnabolicMinds.com dopamine mr.cooper69”.

IIRC (which is questionable given how long ago this was lol), L-Dopa spaced out from B6 may be best for increasing dopamine in the brain.
Ok thanks man

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
Is this the convo?

Pl4typu5

Pl4typu5

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I would check the ray peat forum, they are obsessed with raising dopamine. Some great info over there.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
So what i've gathered so far about this is, taking straight L-Dopa is ineffective, however using Mucuna Pruriens works well at elevating Dopamine levels in the body. Taking Mucuna with B6 or P5P speeds up the conversion of Mucuna to Dopamine, whereas taking Mucuna with a Decarboxylase inhibitor like EGCG prevents the peripheral conversion outside the brain, thus allowing it to enter the brain. This is where I get confused. Is it better to have the peripheral conversion to lower prolactin levels in the body, or is it better to allow the dopamine conversion inside the brain for this to occur? One thing I have noticed personally is the more peripheral conversion of dopamine that occurs, the more side effects happen, such as low blood pressure, anxiety, and just an ill-like feeling. Taking high percentages of Mucuna such as Powerfull also does this to me, however taking lower percentage Mucuna like NOW's Dopa (15%) doesn't make me feel bad, but it does give a nice boost in motivation. What do you all think about this?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Haven't researched it recently, but it is actually the signaling in the brain you are trying to change to lower prolactin. The brain controls hormone release, so as dopamine goes up in the brain, prolactin release is halted.

Sorry if I am misremembering something here, as I have decided not to use dopamine increasing products (if I wanted to decrease prolactin I would) for a while.

UNX

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So what i've gathered so far about this is, taking straight L-Dopa is ineffective, however using Mucuna Pruriens works well at elevating Dopamine levels in the body. Taking Mucuna with B6 or P5P speeds up the conversion of Mucuna to Dopamine, whereas taking Mucuna with a Decarboxylase inhibitor like EGCG prevents the peripheral conversion outside the brain, thus allowing it to enter the brain. This is where I get confused. Is it better to have the peripheral conversion to lower prolactin levels in the body, or is it better to allow the dopamine conversion inside the brain for this to occur? One thing I have noticed personally is the more peripheral conversion of dopamine that occurs, the more side effects happen, such as low blood pressure, anxiety, and just an ill-like feeling. Taking high percentages of Mucuna such as Powerfull also does this to me, however taking lower percentage Mucuna like NOW's Dopa (15%) doesn't make me feel bad, but it does give a nice boost in motivation. What do you all think about this?
I also feel great taking NOW Dopa, it keeps libido high on PCT and helps raising LH. I believe there are certain compounds in M pruriens that act as a decarboxylase inhibitor. The pituitary gland is outside the BBB, so you don't want to fully inhibit periferic conversion.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I also feel great taking NOW Dopa, it keeps libido high on PCT and helps raising LH. I believe there are certain compounds in M pruriens that act as a decarboxylase inhibitor. The pituitary gland is outside the BBB, so you don't want to fully inhibit periferic conversion.
I've done so much reading up on this subject, and the waters are still as clear as mud. Some sources that I have come across are just plain wrong or giving contradicitng information. I have a bottle of Dopa Mucuna, Inhibit-P, and Powerfull in my stash, and all of them seem to help some with prolactin. The issues that I have with them though is that they make me very anxious and with gastro side effects, and I am hoping that if I can narrow down the conversion more to inside the brain than outside, this may alleviate some of those side effects. I started taking ECGC a few days ago as a standalone to see how my body responds to it and i've been pleasantly surprised at the cognitive benefits i'm getting from it. I'll probably start taking a dose of Dopa Mucuna with a dose of EGCG to see what it does.

Reactions: UNX